Have any of you ever had a LoR writer fail to come through for you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ihave Nonamè

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing this a lot on reddit that writers flaked at the last minute. Is this common?

It seems it's best to have a backup letter in case this happens?

Members don't see this ad.

n=1 but one of my LOR writers flaked. It sucked, but I had a backup. If possible I would ask for more letters than you need. You can send them all to Interfolio and then pick which letters you want to go to schools and don't need to stress if someone bails.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Spent 30 hours shadowing an OB/GYN physician who happened to be affiliated with a medical school and also trained my mom during her FM residency. Baked him a batch of biscotti to have with his morning coffee bc I knew he had a sweet tooth. My mom often refers patients to this guy. He offered to write me a letter without my having to broach the subject, and then totally ghosted me when it came time to collect.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did, I asked a clinical volunteering to write a lor and she agreed then never replied to my emails when it was due.

Reactions: 1 user
Spent 30 hours shadowing an OB/GYN physician who happened to be affiliated with a medical school and also trained my mom during her FM residency. Baked him a batch of biscotti to have with his morning coffee bc I knew he had a sweet tooth. My mom often refers patients to this guy. He offered to write me a letter without my having to broach the subject, and then totally ghosted me when it came time to collect.
The silver lining there is that a shadowing LOR wouldn't have received a lot of weight for MD anyway. Hopefully your mom has other people to send her referrals to. :cool:

Reactions: 3 users
Happened to me twice, almost 3 times. One flaked. Kept saying he'd do it, then dropped off the face of the earth. Another one said he'd do it and then I never heard from him again. The third said he'd do it then disappeared forever, and then randomly came back, and I was told that it was great lol.

• Wow
Yep. Always have a back-up!! Here is my story as a warning to y’all:

I aced three classes with this professor and she was my inspiration to break into science—and ultimately, medicine (I didn’t have a robust STEM background prior to college). We had a PHENOMENAL relationship and I knew her letter would be amazing.

Here is how my timeline went:

January: We met on the 17th of January and I asked her to write a LOR for me. She agreed so I asked when she anticipates a lull in her work (she’s had the same position for a long while) and she said her work ramps down in early March.

March: I email her to ping her on the LOR and I included my resume, transcript, etc. etc. No response (understandable because professors were using this time to adapt their class to function remotely.

May: My school’s internal deadline is the 30th so I email her again on the 7th or so and she responds. We meet over Zoom and she tells me to send her the LOR collection software link which I do. She says it will be no problem whatsoever as she’s only writing 4 this year so she has extra time. It isn’t submitted by the deadline so I ping her a few more times as while asking that if she is too overwhelmed or busy then to please let me know.

June: I ping her once a week because she had ghosted me by this point. Covid pushed deadlines back so I wasn’t super pressed.

July: I started panicking and I reached out to another professor who I had a much weaker relationship with (but still wrote a nice letter). My file was complete by late July so I wasn’t verified until early September.

August/onwards: No reply from this professor. Meanwhile I see on facebook that she’s doing a lot of gardening hiking, etc. (Which is great but I’m hurt she never did me the courtesy of telling me “no” when she was so sure that it wouldn’t be a problem.

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users
Yep. Always have a back-up!! Here is my story as a warning to y’all:

I aced three classes with this professor and she was my inspiration to break into science—and ultimately, medicine (I didn’t have a robust STEM background prior to college). We had a PHENOMENAL relationship and I knew her letter would be amazing.

Here is how my timeline went:

January: We met on the 17th of January and I asked her to write a LOR for me. She agreed so I asked when she anticipates a lull in her work (she’s had the same position for a long while) and she said her work ramps down in early March.

March: I email her to ping her on the LOR and I included my resume, transcript, etc. etc. No response (understandable because professors were using this time to adapt their class to function remotely.

May: My school’s internal deadline is the 30th so I email her again on the 7th or so and she responds. We meet over Zoom and she tells me to send her the LOR collection software link which I do. She says it will be no problem whatsoever as she’s only writing 4 this year so she has extra time. It isn’t submitted by the deadline so I ping her a few more times as while asking that if she is too overwhelmed or busy then to please let me know.

June: I ping her once a week because she had ghosted me by this point. Covid pushed deadlines back so I wasn’t super pressed.

July: I started panicking and I reached out to another professor who I had a much weaker relationship with (but still wrote a nice letter). My file was complete by late July so I wasn’t verified until early September.

August/onwards: No reply from this professor. Meanwhile I see on facebook that she’s doing a lot of gardening hiking, etc. (Which is great but I’m hurt she never did me the courtesy of telling me “no” when she was so sure that it wouldn’t be a problem.

Oh! And a friend of mine (one of her 3 other recs) didn’t apply this past cycle because he held onto the hope that she would write him one for so long. He’s a philosophy major so he didn’t have many great options when it came to a science LOR.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users
Yep, I had two DO letters lined up, only one came through. I agree with others...always have a backup, and remember how it felt to be let down when someone asks you for a LOR in the future.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm seeing this a lot on reddit that writers flaked at the last minute. Is this common?

It seems it's best to have a backup letter in case this happens?
One of mine died. Back up letters are always wise.

Not quite a flake, but I had a professor who's class I took before my gender transition/name change who I had really enjoyed and aced, and when I asked if he'd write a letter he said yes, he'd be happy to write a "very strong letter," but would only do so under my deadname/former gender. Weird experience, but ended up just going with a different writer instead.

I haven't asked yet but im also worried with the ways things are going now, how do you get face to face time?

I had the nerve to ask an online physics professor for a LOR, because, well, I thought I did really well throughout the course + I communicated frequently with him. Ended up being ghosted. Didn't matter since I had multiple backups but that was one of my experiences

Yes, the person who I did most of my undergrad research with. Moved to Saudi Arabia and I never heard from him again. I was applying MD/PhD so I was super stressed out about it, but I explained it in all my apps. I did fairly well in the interview cycle despite the mishap.

I had the nerve to ask an online physics professor for a LOR, because, well, I thought I did really well throughout the course + I communicated frequently with him. Ended up being ghosted. Didn't matter since I had multiple backups but that was one of my experiences

Yeah this is what happened to me. I had a prof I had an online course with, and we connected well and he even precepted my capstone project. He said he was very happy to write me one and then ghosted me lol.

Yep, it happens. The most important thing is getting someone who can write a strong letter. You waive your right to see the letter, so unless your letter writer explicitly gives you a copy of the letter, you'll never see what's in it. The worst thing that can happen is to have someone write a bad letter.
I asked someone to write me a letter and he said yes but he was kind of not enthusiastic about it. I thought about it a few days and I emailed him and said that I thanked him for agreeing but I needed someone who would strongly support my candidacy. I've also had someone write a neutral letter that I ended up getting a copy from HR of when I was reviewing my paperwork for my job. I also lost out on a whole application year because the PI I was working with turned out to be awful and I was sticking it out to get a letter.

It all worked out in the end as I got into medical school because I had letter writers who came through for me, but it always makes me sick to my stomach whenever I have to ask for a LOR for something because of my previous experiences prior to medical school.