Have been considering Podiatry school for many years, debating - chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shezadeh

E.I.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker on SDN. I have been looking into Podiatry for many years, and find myself looking into it all the time. It seems like a great mix between medicine, surgery, and rehabilitation (Podiatrists looks at biomechanics, fabricate orthotics, etc). Work/life balance seems pretty good as well.

Anyways, some rough stats since I am debating this.

Family situation: Married, with kids.
Overall GPA: 3.3
SciGPA: 3.0
MCAT: Took old practice MCAT cold, before taking Organic Chem, and got a 23, which translates to roughly 494~496 on the new MCAT. Score could go higher, or lower, but I will use this as my gauge for now.

Questions:
1. Assuming I got a ~494 on the new MCAT, do I stand a chance?
2. Can I treat Podiatry school, at least the preclinical portion, like a job? Maybe not 40 hours a week, but maybe 50-60?
3. Do prereqs expire for most Podiatry schools?
4. Do engineering courses count as "science"? It appeared to be so here (AACPMAS Course Subjects) but wanted to confirm.
5. Any chance at a scholarship with these stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Questions:
1. Assuming I got a ~494 on the new MCAT, do I stand a chance?--Yes
2. Can I treat Podiatry school, at least the preclinical portion, like a job? Maybe not 40 hours a week, but maybe 50-60?--It's more than a job, you may have anywhere from 2-3 exams per week (depending on the program you choose)
3. Do prereqs expire for most Podiatry schools?--I am not sure but contact AACPMAS for this
4. Do engineering courses count as "science"? It appeared to be so here (AACPMAS Course Subjects) but wanted to confirm--I am not sure but contact AACPMAS for this
5. Any chance at a scholarship with these stats?--It all depends on when you apply and what type of funds are available at that time. The earlier you apply with your best stats, the higher the chance of receiving any $$$

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! Are there any schools that have a "PBL" style curriculum? My main considerations are (in order of preference): Scholl, Kent State, NYCPM, and Temple

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Are there any schools that have a "PBL" style curriculum? My main considerations are (in order of preference): Scholl, Kent State, NYCPM, and Temple
PBL = Problem Based Learning

Is residency actually like 60-80 hours a week, or is that an over-exaggeration? I know some people who did Family Medicine and said *certain weeks* were 70, 80 hours, but in their program most weeks were not 70/80 hour weeks...

Is residency actually like 60-80 hours a week, or is that an over-exaggeration? I know some people who did Family Medicine and said *certain weeks* were 70, 80 hours, but in their program most weeks were not 70/80 hour weeks...
Did anywhere from 80-100 a week but was on call 1 month at a time. Some weeks were like 60 on the low end.

It will come in waves.

Did anywhere from 80-100 a week but was on call 1 month at a time. Some weeks were like 60 on the low end.

It will come in waves.

I guess I am naive, as I thought there were simply not that many foot related issues that would result in 60 being the low end, and 80-100 not being unheard of.

I guess I am naive, as I thought there were simply not that many foot related issues that would result in 60 being the low end, and 80-100 not being unheard of.

You should look at the curriculums of different residences around your location. Between the three years as a Pod resident, you are doing Podiatry stuff and off-service rotations like EM/ID/Anes, etc. You can easily cross the 70 hr per week threshold, but every place is different. More hours/wk for programs where you are in the OR every day and have to run the clinic afterward.

Thanks, I will look into it. I understand that this is great training (see more cases, etc), and I can definately see how the interdisciplinary stuff comes into play. I heard in many programs, Pods will do peds, IM, neuro, and even things like OB/GYN rotations. I am just trying to get an idea since it will be decision, family wise (spouse, kids, single income, yeah...)

Nursing school
Keep lurking at other things besides podiatry.

Long time lurker on SDN. I have been looking into Podiatry for many years, and find myself looking into it all the time. It seems like a great mix between medicine, surgery, and rehabilitation (Podiatrists looks at biomechanics, fabricate orthotics, etc). Work/life balance seems pretty good as well.

MCAT: Took old practice MCAT cold, before taking Organic Chem, and got a 23, which translates to roughly 494~496 on the new MCAT. Score could go higher, or lower, but I will use this as my gauge for now.

Questions:
2. Can I treat Podiatry school, at least the preclinical portion, like a job? Maybe not 40 hours a week, but maybe 50-60?
4. Do engineering courses count as "science"? It appeared to be so here (AACPMAS Course Subjects) but wanted to confirm.
That MCAT score should get you into podiatry school. I was 27 single and it was a huge time sucking commitment. There were married folks in my class with kids they somehow did it. But it will be a struggle no matter what.

I agree with some of the other posters you should look at other health care professions...nursing, pa school.

Questions:
Spend some serious time studying for MCAT, get As on whatever courses you still need to take and apply to DO school. Better work hard now and get into MD/DO. CRNA path, though not guaranteed, is much better. You can find a job as CRNA in every square mile with starting pay over 200k and lots of PTO. Travel CRNAs make a ton of money.

You have about 60% chance of becoming MD by going Caribbean path and like 60% chance practicing RRA surgery in podiatry because of ABFAS pass rates.

Spend some serious time studying for MCAT, get As on whatever courses you still need to take and apply to DO school. Better work hard now and get into MD/DO. CRNA path, though not guaranteed, is much better. You can find a job as CRNA in every square mile with starting pay over 200k and lots of PTO. Travel CRNAs make a ton of money.

You have about 60% chance of becoming MD by going Caribbean path and like 60% chance practicing RRA surgery in podiatry because of ABFAS pass rates.
That last part is not accurate, it will be Ortho or other pods preventing you from doing RRA not passing boards.

I didn't read this thread but be a nurse then become a CRNA. The end
Another good option: look into ARNP or PA. Less time, less debt, decent pay. And you can change specialties later.

I will say though, podiatry has been good to me so I am happy I chose this profession. It is, however, a lot of years, debt and a tough job market once you are out of residency.

I didn't read this thread but be a nurse then become a CRNA. The end
This is great advice. Seriously, do not go into podiatry. The time sacrificed and debt incurred is simply not worth it.

Reactions: 2 users