Have started reinvention - would appreciate some guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExistenceIsTorment

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm a recent graduate with a 2.6 GPA from a UC (Cali resident) and have a STEM degree. I've taken many math/CS classes, but 0 bio/chem/physics and VERY few humanities during my undergrad.

I've taken Gen Chem 1, 2 + Orgo 1, 2 so far at UCLA Extension (Chem XL 14A/B/C/D + the 2 labs; 6 quarter classes), and have received A's in them.

I'm planning to take (at UCLA and UCLA Extension unless noted otherwise. The XL tag means the extension version of the UCLA class):

- Gen Bio 1, 2 (Lifesci XL 7A/B/C + Lab; quarter classes)
- General Microbiology (at a community college; not offered at UCLA/UCLA Ext.)
- Gen Physics 1, 2 (Possibly at a community college? otherwise Physics XL 5A/B/C)
- 1 year of Biochemistry (Biochem XL 153A/B/C; quarter classes)
- Biostatistics (Stats XL 13)
- Virology (upper div; MIMG XL 102)
- Molecular Biology of Cellular Processes (MCD XL 144)
- Developmental Biology (MCD XL 138)
- Cell Biology (MCD XL 100)
- Genetics (Lifesci XL 107)
- 1-2 additional upper div. bio classes (whatever I can get into using concurrent enrollment at UCLA; most likely immunology and parasitology. won't take botany/marine bio classes).
- General Psych, Abnormal Psych, Cognitive Psych, and Child Psych (at a community college)

If all goes well and I maintain A's in all these classes, I can get my GPA up to about a 3.3 cumulative, and 3.44 science.

I would appreciate advice in:

1) How does my plan of classes look? Am I missing anything important?

1) Is it ok I mix reinvention classes from UCLA/UCLA Extension and a community college? I'm taking almost every science class offered at UCLA Ext. except microbiology since it isn't offered there (and the one that is offered at UCLA Ext. is specified as for "non-majors"), and for classes like Psych, the cost difference is ~$600 vs. $3000 for CC vs. UCLA Extension, so I'd like to take them at a CC if possible. This should be fine, right?

2) I understand Physics 1+2 is a prereq, and there's a required lab portion of it for many med schools. It seems UCLA Extension doesn't have labs associated with their 1-year Physics courses (Physics 5A/B/C). Supposedly UCLA Extension uses the same "curriculum"/course content as its UCLA counterpart; should I just stick with UCLA Ext. despite the absence of a specific lab portion, or just go with a CC? CC's have specific lab sections. I have no problem paying more for prereq classes taken at a non-CC, since some med schools don't accept them.

3) I've been actually genuinely enjoying learning from other non-math fields (really loved chem; I tunneled into only math classes during undergrad because I was a snobby idiot), and can squeeze in 2-3 more classes without it being overbearing on my schedule. I'd like to take classes in humanities such as Economics at a community college if possible (2-3 classes), to simply learn and to bump up my GPA a bit to about 3.4 cGPA (if I receive A's). Would you advice against this, or is it an OK idea?

4) Would this reinvention path + a decent MCAT score make me a competitive applicant for MD programs in the US, or will I still be in an iffy spot? My GPA trend curve would look like a big U (sporadic up and down undergrad, then hopefully a 3.9+ for 4 years post-bacc). I've also started working as an EMT on Fridays/Saturdays/Sundays, and plan to work for the next 3-4 years. This would give me about ~3000-4000 hours of paid clinical experience. I've also started volunteering to teach underprivileged kids computer science and some math, for about 2-3 hours a week. This will also give me about 400-500 nonclinical hours over the next 3 years. Should I also add some clinical volunteering as well?

Thank you for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I'm a recent graduate with a 2.6 GPA from a UC (Cali resident) and have a STEM degree. I've taken many math/CS classes, but 0 bio/chem/physics and VERY few humanities during my undergrad.

I've taken Gen Chem 1, 2 + Orgo 1, 2 so far at UCLA Extension (Chem XL 14A/B/C/D + the 2 labs; 6 quarter classes), and have received A's in them.

I'm planning to take (at UCLA and UCLA Extension unless noted otherwise. The XL tag means the extension version of the UCLA class):

- Gen Bio 1, 2 (Lifesci XL 7A/B/C + Lab; quarter classes)
- General Microbiology (at a community college; not offered at UCLA/UCLA Ext.)
- Gen Physics 1, 2 (Possibly at a community college? otherwise Physics XL 5A/B/C)
- 1 year of Biochemistry (Biochem XL 153A/B/C; quarter classes)
- Biostatistics (Stats XL 13)
- Virology (upper div; MIMG XL 102)
- Molecular Biology of Cellular Processes (MCD XL 144)
- Developmental Biology (MCD XL 138)
- Cell Biology (MCD XL 100)
- Genetics (Lifesci XL 107)
- 1-2 additional upper div. bio classes (whatever I can get into using concurrent enrollment at UCLA; most likely immunology and parasitology. won't take botany/marine bio classes).
- General Psych, Abnormal Psych, Cognitive Psych, and Child Psych (at a community college)

If all goes well and I maintain A's in all these classes, I can get my GPA up to about a 3.3 cumulative, and 3.44 science.

I would appreciate advice in:

1) How does my plan of classes look? Am I missing anything important?

1) Is it ok I mix reinvention classes from UCLA/UCLA Extension and a community college? I'm taking almost every science class offered at UCLA Ext. except microbiology since it isn't offered there (and the one that is offered at UCLA Ext. is specified as for "non-majors"), and for classes like Psych, the cost difference is ~$600 vs. $3000 for CC vs. UCLA Extension, so I'd like to take them at a CC if possible. This should be fine, right?

2) I understand Physics 1+2 is a prereq, and there's a required lab portion of it for many med schools. It seems UCLA Extension doesn't have labs associated with their 1-year Physics courses (Physics 5A/B/C). Supposedly UCLA Extension uses the same "curriculum"/course content as its UCLA counterpart; should I just stick with UCLA Ext. despite the absence of a specific lab portion, or just go with a CC? CC's have specific lab sections. I have no problem paying more for prereq classes taken at a non-CC, since some med schools don't accept them.

3) I've been actually genuinely enjoying learning from other non-math fields (really loved chem; I tunneled into only math classes during undergrad because I was a snobby idiot), and can squeeze in 2-3 more classes without it being overbearing on my schedule. I'd like to take classes in humanities such as Economics at a community college if possible (2-3 classes), to simply learn and to bump up my GPA a bit to about 3.4 cGPA (if I receive A's). Would you advice against this, or is it an OK idea?

4) Would this reinvention path + a decent MCAT score make me a competitive applicant for MD programs in the US, or will I still be in an iffy spot? My GPA trend curve would look like a big U (sporadic up and down undergrad, then hopefully a 3.9+ for 4 years post-bacc). I've also started working as an EMT on Fridays/Saturdays/Sundays, and plan to work for the next 3-4 years. This would give me about ~3000-4000 hours of paid clinical experience. I've also started volunteering to teach underprivileged kids computer science and some math, for about 2-3 hours a week. This will also give me about 400-500 nonclinical hours over the next 3 years. Should I also add some clinical volunteering as well?

Thank you for your advice.
With an MCAT 512+ At many of the Mid-tier MD schools that like reinvention, you would be the gold standard for said reinvention. With an MCAT 505-510 you would be perfect for DO. I know cost is higher, but try to take as many at the UCLA EXT program as possible. Keep on keeping on, muh man/woman/xuman

Reactions: 1 user
You've quite an uphill battle. Frankly, I don't understand the point of all this. Even with straight As you'll need a ton more impressive activities to get in.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You've quite an uphill battle. Frankly, I don't understand the point of all this. Even with straight As you'll need a ton more impressive activities to get in.
That is quite pessimistic. I have seen a looooot worse folks get in. Would he be in the running to apply now? No. In 4 years keeping up EMT, non clinical volunteering, 4.0 in the sciences and humanities, throw in some shadowing and clinical volunteeringband he is gold (it may be electroplated gold, but still gold).

And if MD doesn’t work out, all those EMT hours will be perfect for PA.

Reactions: 2 users
That is quite pessimistic. I have seen a looooot worse folks get in. Would he be in the running to apply now? No. In 4 years keeping up EMT, non clinical volunteering, 4.0 in the sciences and humanities, throw in some shadowing and clinical volunteeringband he is gold (it may be electroplated gold, but still gold).

And if MD doesn’t work out, all those EMT hours will be perfect for PA.

No, I'm being realistic. I've seen the other side of the fence, it's not green.

Suggesting that the OP waste 4 years on a pipe dream is cruel. And doing PA doesn't make sense if it's not your first choice.

No, I'm being realistic. I've seen the other side of the fence, it's not green.

Suggesting that the OP waste 4 years on a pipe dream is cruel. And doing PA doesn't make sense if it's not your first choice.

Well that’s definitely discouraging to hear. Is t really that improbable even with a best-case scenario? (best case being 4.0 post-bacc, 3.3 cGPA, 3.44 sGPA, 515+ MCAT)

Not saying I’m sure I’ll get the best-case scenario, but simply speculating.

@Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM I understand there are schools that reward reinvention, but for my case, am I really just wasting my time? Should I cut my losses and go towards another career in medicine? Thank you.

Well that’s definitely discouraging to hear. Is t really that improbable even with a best-case scenario? (best case being 4.0 post-bacc, 3.3 cGPA, 3.44 sGPA, 515+ MCAT)

Not saying I’m sure I’ll get the best-case scenario, but simply speculating.

@Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM I understand there are schools that reward reinvention, but for my case, am I really just wasting my time? Should I cut my losses and go towards another career in medicine? Thank you.
MD would not be impossible but unlikely. DO would definitely be a fitting path, if you are game for primary care.

OP have you start this grand reinvention? How is it going? I think you should take a semester of full time courses and see how it goes. I frankly am unsure how you think you will increase your GPAs so much. It’s almost impossible to move a GPA with a whole undergraduate degree worth of hours. You have to get all As and with your history you might have a touch of magical thinking. Your plan is doable but you have to make huge changes in your study methods etc. It’s going to take a very long time and you may never get accepted at any med school let alone a MD school. So give it a go and see what happens but as @Goro always says “always have a plan B!”

OP have you start this grand reinvention? How is it going? I think you should take a semester of full time courses and see how it goes. I frankly am unsure how you think you will increase your GPAs so much. It’s almost impossible to move a GPA with a whole undergraduate degree worth of hours. You have to get all As and with your history you might have a touch of magical thinking. Your plan is doable but you have to make huge changes in your study methods etc. It’s going to take a very long time and you may never get accepted at any med school let alone a MD school. So give it a go and see what happens but as @Goro always says “always have a plan B!”

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I have recently started my reinvention track, and I received an A in Gen Chem 1,2 and Orgo 1,2 + 2 lab classes. It involved a lot of reflection on how I studied, and I definitely think I tackled my problems in undergrad. I’m just hoping to keep this momentum going.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I have recently started my reinvention track, and I received an A in Gen Chem 1,2 and Orgo 1,2 + 2 lab classes. It involved a lot of reflection on how I studied, and I definitely think I tackled my problems in undergrad. I’m just hoping to keep this momentum going.
At least at my school, both Gen chem and Ochem are the weed-out classes. So, As in both of those sets is very promising. Keep that study habit up and give it a go. MD is probably your goal, DO is probably where you will actually land, and still have a backup plan (ie. PA. Its like a doctor, but less paperwork, less pay, less responsibility, less respect and the ability to say "I dunno.")

Finish your pre reqs strong, then an SMP with a solid MCAT and extracurriculars.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

I mean if you ace all your bio/chem/phys classes your sgpa might still be low due to your Math classes but anyone who would look at your app would see how you’ve been killing your science classes on the FIRST try. When you do apply you def gotta pick your schools right, figure out which schools that don’t filter if you’re not above the 3.0 and are cool with post bacc s and reinventing students. If you’re acing all science classes and they are rigorous classes you should be in good shape for the mcat, do well on that, apply early with those exp you mentioned then you could be good. Idk if you need an entire 4 yrs to do this though. Summer and winter class it up.

i graduated college with a 2.8 gpa. though it was almost 15 years ago. i did a post bac maintained a 3.80+ gpa with over 40 credit hours and an MCAT 512-515. i have 8 II invite this cycle and an acceptance already all M.D., despite being able to increase my cGPA to 3.05. so re-invention does work. its how bad you want it. like goro said its still early to gauge your progress, but if you want it bad enough and willing to put the effort, schools do look at re-inventors. i had many people doubting me when i started my journey 4 years ago to get into medical school since i had such an uphill battle.

Reactions: 5 users
i graduated college with a 2.8 gpa. though it was almost 15 years ago. i did a post bac maintained a 3.80+ gpa with over 40 credit hours and an MCAT 512-515. i have 8 II invite this cycle and an acceptance already all M.D., despite being able to increase my cGPA to 3.05. so re-invention does work. its how bad you want it. like goro said its still early to gauge your progress, but if you want it bad enough and willing to put the effort, schools do look at re-inventors. i had many people doubting me when i started my journey 4 years ago to get into medical school since i had such an uphill battle.

Damn that’s impressive!!! Good job!!!

Do you mind sharing what schools you applied to? I'm also a reinventor and would appreciate it.

Do you mind sharing what schools you applied to? I'm also a reinventor and would appreciate it.
Ditto - Not quite that degree of 'reinvention' but schools that honor low-to-high would be greatly appreciated!

Dartmouth
BU
Tufts
Netter
SUNY upstate
Albany
Drexel
NYMC
Hofstra
Pitt
Case
Mayo
Jefferson
Temple
GWU
Gtown
Tulane
Creighton
SLU
MCW
Rush
Loyola
Miami
EVMS
Wayne St.
My state school

its Goro's reinvention list. if you pm me i can let you know my specific schools i got II at but i applied very broadly and honestly a lot of schools i had no shot at, but follow this list and you will do great. remember develop a story of yourself of why you want to be a doctor.

The dean of admissions at my medical school will tell you, "we are looking for demonstrated EXCELLENCE."

Reinvention costs time and money. In my class, we don't have any "reinvented" medical students and I'm at a relatively new program. There are a lot of other factors that you have not discussed that could work for you or against you so I don't want to advise you on what to do because I don't know you and you could be making up your stats for all I know.

Let me tell you this though, you cannot predict grades. The odds of you getting straight A's in all of those classes is slim to none. Not saying you can't do well but I can almost guarantee you will not get straight A's, get a 518 MCAT, win student of the decade honors, and then matriculate into NYU and get free tuition.

Just take it step by step and see where it goes. Just by reading your post, I can tell you that you have a ways to go. But like I said, take it step by step and you'll be surprised how much you can accomplish in a short period of time.

You would be surprised that there are some legitimate SMP to DO programs out there right now that will even take you with a sub-500 MCAT. Do the work and DO YOUR RESEARCH to see what's out there.