Have you ever heard of anyone getting caught doing the specialty switching thing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sporadic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The thing where you and some pre-med friends from other majors do the core classes for each other so you can each do what suits your specialty.... not with the same instructor, though, and not repeating the exact same material, because different courses are always slightly different- just doing what you're knowledgeable in.

If so what size was the school and are how did they get caught? How big were the classes? Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry for the confusion. To clear up what I mean: Say you're a physics major and your friend is a bio major and your other friend is a chem person, and maybe another pre-med you know is a bio-chem major or was originally pre-nursing, etc. You all have different things you've come to master. Someone who almost almost has a BS in physics will be much better at the first three physics courses and the more advanced calculus courses than someone who only has secondary experience in physics from other courses. So, you just do the pre-reqs for each course multiple times or different optional pre-reqs, but in each other's names. Also, no one ever takes the same course from the same instructor twice.

I DON'T DO THIS but I go to a very large school with way too many pre-meds + too low curve grading, and it's a popular thing here. There generally would not be a core science/math with less than a hundred people, and I know they do check I.D. for math tests, but I haven't ever had to show I.D. in a science course. I think my siblings might be doing this, though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What? Am I dumb or is this post very confusing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't cheat. And don't ask people to give you advice on how to be a better cheater.

I think OP means that if you stink at bio/math/physics/orgo/etc. you have your friend who is good at that subject do all of your work for you in the class (including taking all the tests). And then you take the class in the subjects that your friend stinks at.

There are so many levels of wrong here I don't even know where to start....

I think OP means that if you stink at bio/math/physics/orgo/etc. you have your friend who is good at that subject do all of your work for you in the class (including taking all the tests). And then you take the class in the subjects that your friend stinks at.

There are so many levels of wrong here I don't even know where to start....

...is that seriously what OP means?...then LOLOLOL that the worst thing I've ever heard! Y'all gonna get expellllllled fo sho :slap:. Don't do it.

The thing where you and some pre-med friends from other majors do the core classes for each other so you can each do what suits your specialty.... not with the same instructor, though, and not repeating the exact same material, because different courses are always slightly different- just doing what you're knowledgeable in.

If so what size was the school and are how did they get caught? How big were the classes? Thanks.

I'm not going to give you the benefit of the doubt. We all know you're probing for "can I pull this off???"

OP, you're a bum. I hope you never get into med school...you terrify me

this guy is definitely not from the US, and i think he means undergraduate major when he says "specialty". basically he's asking if anyone has gotten caught cheating...but in a circle-jerk kinda way. like a group of you and your friends pool your resources, each doing the work for each other in courses that you are good at. like the math major does homework in the math pre-req's for the philosophy major, and the philosophy major writes essays for the math major.

what an idea...

Like say you're a physics major and your friend is a bio major and your other friend is a chem person, and maybe another pre-med you know is a bio-chem major or was originally pre-nursing, so you just do the pre-reqs in each by each doing different courses but no one ever repeats the same instructor.

And believe it or not I am from the U.S., sorry if I wasn't very clear in my OP, lol. I said "specialty" instead of "major" because some people are just pre-med majors and have emphasises, are minors, etc.

People do it quite often, but it's a bad idea. Don't cheat.

Like say you're a physics major and your friend is a bio major and your other friend is a chem person, and maybe another pre-med you know is a bio-chem major or was originally pre-nursing, so you just do the pre-reqs in each by each doing different courses but no one ever repeats the same instructor.

And believe it or not I am from the U.S., sorry if I wasn't very clear in my OP, lol. I said "specialty" instead of "major" because some people are just pre-med majors and have emphasises, are minors, etc.

So when you take the MCAT, are you going to switch out your friends between the sections? What about letters of recommendation? What happens when there's only one main instructor for a course?

There are so many problems with this idea...You're asking to get into mucho mucho trouble here.

Just learn the material by yourself. It's not that hard. If you can't handle pre-med classes, you'll never be able to handle medical school. If you don't want to go to med school, then you shouldn't be here (on this forum) anyway.

You gonna have your friends take certain sections for you on the MCAT as well? How about using your friend who "specializes" in writing to do all of your PS's/secondaries and your friend who has great charisma do your med school interviews. Is this trend going to continue once you're in medical school? What about in the real world.....why not have your friend who "specializes" in treating patients well do your job once you become a physician? :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't even decided if I'm pre-med yet. It looks like a lot of work.

lol....

Anyway, sort of funny how pre-med people get so sanctimonious and pretend it's about honor, when its ruthless pre-meds who set the curb against legit science majors who choose our field of study based on a genuine interest in science. and then after studying tirelessly for something they clearly don't even find interesting, they pretend that this of all things is a dignity issue.

its impossible to cheat at my school.

we have to take out our ID cards while we take the test. Professor walks around with roll sheet.

Hmmm.... what happens to all three of you if someone decides to blow the whistle? Or one of you decides to blackmail the other?

I haven't even decided if I'm pre-med yet. It looks like a lot of work.

Pre-Dental board is that way --------------------->

I hope you know that dental schools require the same, if not more, pre-reqs. My roommate is pre-dent and she has to take microbiology and anatomy in addition to all the other pre-reqs that pre-meds have to take. And there are so few dental schools compared to medical schools that it is very competitive. Not sure how you think it's less work to get into dental schools...

Hmm.. if you're this bent on cheating you might as well just write the stuff on your thighs and wear a short skirt. This works equally well if you're a guy to be honest... lol..

But yes.. honestly this makes me wonder if people do this at my university.

lol....

Anyway, sort of funny how pre-med people get so sanctimonious and pretend it's about honor, when its ruthless pre-meds who set the curb against legit science majors who choose our field of study based on a genuine interest in science. and then after studying tirelessly for something they clearly don't even find interesting, they pretend that this of all things is a dignity issue.

There it is, blaming others. How dare pre-meds work harder than you!

EDIT: Sorry for the confusion. To clear up what I mean: Say you're a physics major and your friend is a bio major and your other friend is a chem person, and maybe another pre-med you know is a bio-chem major or was originally pre-nursing, etc. You all have different things you've come to master. Someone who almost almost has a BS in physics will be much better at the first three physics courses and the more advanced calculus courses than someone who only has secondary experience in physics from other courses. So, you just do the pre-reqs for each course multiple times or different optional pre-reqs, but in each other's names. Also, no one ever takes the same course from the same instructor twice.

I DON'T DO THIS but I go to a very large school with way too many pre-meds + too low curve grading, and it's a popular thing here. There generally would not be a core science/math with less than a hundred people, and I know they do check I.D. for math tests, but I haven't ever had to show I.D. in a science course. I think my siblings might be doing this, though.

We all know this monster quote can be translated to a single sentence -- "Can my friends in X major take my course in X and make an A and get away with it?" Sure, you may be able to get away with it for now. But good luck with doing well in the MCATs, DATs, PCATs, etc.

lol....

So if the uninterested premed does better in the science class than the legit guy who loves the material....whats that say about the legit science guy.

troll-web.jpg

I think that this is why some schools require ID's to be checked before exams

what? I thought this was done at ALL schools :confused::confused:

Seriously?

Both my UG and my post-bacc had honor codes that people followed. At both schools, I've even been allowed to take or finish exams unproctored. Checking IDs would indicate the professor simply cannot trust the students. My experience has been that our students are generally trust-worthy. I've had several freshmen students break our academic honor code in my classes but all but 1 were unintentional so I consulted with the chair and obtained permission to let them off easy and gave them 0s on the assignment with nothing besides a warning. On the other hand, I had an instructor I supervise come to me with a student who had legitimately cheated and I suggested she pursue a full IA and possible expulsion. You don't break an academic honor code. It's the one academic sin punishable on the first offense by the academic death penalty.

My school and classes are so small that it would be impossible to pull it off. Teachers know pretty much every student by name, and you will have the same teacher every now and again. Hell its not worth the risk, if you are caught cheating (there are various levels with this type of cheating meeting the maximum) you will be automatically expelled and tuition will not be refunded. Just not worth it in any way, hell why would you do this to begin with? If you dont learn the material you cant possibly progress. If you really are premed, then there is no way that you could possibly pass the Mcat.

but yea other then that i say go for it i think youll beat the system :thumbup:

it's weird that you wrote this in the "rampant cheating" thread:
Wow, sounds like they are cheating because they are lazy, not because they want to get ahead. The types who are lazy about their work tend to make lazy cheaters as well and are prone to getting caught. I'm sure it will catch up to them.

its impossible to cheat at my school.

we have to take out our ID cards while we take the test. Professor walks around with roll sheet.

At my school any state or school ID would work. So to freak out the TA when they checked i always used my CHL license.

Anyone who does this is STUUUPID. Not just because it could get you in trouble, but these people are stupid to begin with if they have to "specialize" in order to master undergrad classes.

lol....

There is a place called graduate school for people who choose their field of study based on a genuine interest in the subject. :thumbup:

It doesn't matter if you cheat by an inch or a mile... cheating's cheating.