Have you ever seen anyone from your college at your same medical school interview ? Is that awkward?

hugh2012

2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Have you ever seen anyone from your college at your same medical school interview ? Is that awkward?

musicalfeet

5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Saw someone on my interview day from my alma mater (they posted a list of names and their undergrad institutions...funny enough more than half of the interviewees were from CA). Not surprised at all, but I wouldn't know who they were anyway because we were in totally separate departments! We talked a little bit about the area around the undergrad, but other than that, I actually felt like I had better conversations with other interviewees when left to our own devices..

nwts

2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I saw someone from my school at one of my interviews, but I did not know the person. It was nice to meet the person and have familiar topics to chat about.

Mar 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student
You better believe I am staking out my territory, if I get even the slightest whiff of familiar urine pheromones, I am going full alpha and eating them in the lobby.

nwts

2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
As an added note, I feel like the awkwardness thing is what you make it, regardless of whether any other applicants are from your university. Many people think it's extremely awkward to be sitting with people you're "competing" with for seats. Personally, I try to have a good time, get to know the other applicants, and talk about subjects outside of the application process. I would think it would be horribly uncomfortable to spend the entire day looking at the people around you as competition, and I try to alleviate that discomfort by ignoring the fact that there aren't enough seats for every single applicant who is interviewed.

Reactions: mcatjelly

Glazedonutlove

2+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2015
Status
Everyone was very friendly at my interview, I didn't feel any vibe of competition lol
if you think about it, they could accept all or none of you. who you interview with has no impact on your rating

Reactions: Romz

mehc012

Big Damn Hero
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2012
The Black
Status
Medical Student
Everyone was very friendly at my interview, I didn't feel any vibe of competition lol
if you think about it, they could accept all or none of you. who you interview with has no impact on your rating
I was the only person at my interview day...I was outnumbered by the tour guides! :laugh:

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I know a guy it happened to. It's usually going to be the schools in the same state as your university. Just expect to see one or two.

It really shouldn't be a big deal.

Justtheworst

Non-refundable
2+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student
well it's like 3 years after undergraduate graduation now, probably not going to see too many. If I did though it would be more of a relief because it provides a solid anchor for conversation (which I am admittedly not too great at).

Apr 2, 2015
Topeka, Kansas
Status
No, it wasn't awkward, and i'm the reigning pharaoh of awkward.

Now, seeing someone from HS at an interview? I'd have preferred crucifixion.

starlite911

5+ Year Member
May 14, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I've seen someone from my undergrad at all my of interviews so far save one.

wagonwheel23

10+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I saw someone I volunteer with, which was a bit comedic because I made it a point to not tell people I was in the application process so that I could avoid questions about my cycle.

BluMist

I'm the only one of me. Baby, that's the fun of me
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I've been out of school for a while now that I would be really surprised to recognize anyone...

justadream

7+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2011
Status
If you go to a big state school that churns out tons of premeds (cough....UCLA....cough), this is pretty much unavoidable.

Reactions: musicalfeet

Ad2b

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
For all the gunners awkwarded out by other classmates :D (seriously :D )

Reactions: Gandy741

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Many years ago, the medical school associated with my University had one or two interview days intentionally dedicated to their school's undergrad applicants.