Have you ever seen anyone from your college at your same medical school interview ? Is that awkward?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hugh2012

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you ever seen anyone from your college at your same medical school interview ? Is that awkward?

Members don't see this ad.

Why would it be awkward? If anything it'd be a familiar face to chat with.

Reactions: 12 users
Only awkward if it's your ex, and your answer for your 'challenge' essay was about dealing with your dangerously insane ex.

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's only awkward if you're a gunner. If you're not, it's like, "cool, I might go to med school with somebody I already know!"

Reactions: 3 users
Saw someone on my interview day from my alma mater (they posted a list of names and their undergrad institutions...funny enough more than half of the interviewees were from CA). Not surprised at all, but I wouldn't know who they were anyway because we were in totally separate departments! We talked a little bit about the area around the undergrad, but other than that, I actually felt like I had better conversations with other interviewees when left to our own devices..

One of my classmates showed up to my WVU interview. It was a bit awkward as I had told him to wait in the car. Kinda makes me wonder who untied him.

Reactions: 17 users
I saw someone from my school at one of my interviews, but I did not know the person. It was nice to meet the person and have familiar topics to chat about.

You better believe I am staking out my territory, if I get even the slightest whiff of familiar urine pheromones, I am going full alpha and eating them in the lobby.

Reactions: 9 users
You better believe I am staking out my territory, if I get even the slightest whiff of familiar urine pheromones, I am going full alpha and eating them in the lobby.

lol what the hell

Reactions: 3 users
As an added note, I feel like the awkwardness thing is what you make it, regardless of whether any other applicants are from your university. Many people think it's extremely awkward to be sitting with people you're "competing" with for seats. Personally, I try to have a good time, get to know the other applicants, and talk about subjects outside of the application process. I would think it would be horribly uncomfortable to spend the entire day looking at the people around you as competition, and I try to alleviate that discomfort by ignoring the fact that there aren't enough seats for every single applicant who is interviewed.

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone was very friendly at my interview, I didn't feel any vibe of competition lol
if you think about it, they could accept all or none of you. who you interview with has no impact on your rating

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone was very friendly at my interview, I didn't feel any vibe of competition lol
if you think about it, they could accept all or none of you. who you interview with has no impact on your rating
I was the only person at my interview day...I was outnumbered by the tour guides! :laugh:

I know a guy it happened to. It's usually going to be the schools in the same state as your university. Just expect to see one or two.

It really shouldn't be a big deal.

well it's like 3 years after undergraduate graduation now, probably not going to see too many. If I did though it would be more of a relief because it provides a solid anchor for conversation (which I am admittedly not too great at).

It would only be awkward if you're that gunner douche who everyone knows was constantly trying to screw everyone over. Otherwise, how would it be?

Reactions: 1 users
No, it wasn't awkward, and i'm the reigning pharaoh of awkward.

Now, seeing someone from HS at an interview? I'd have preferred crucifixion.

I've seen someone from my undergrad at all my of interviews so far save one.

I saw someone I volunteer with, which was a bit comedic because I made it a point to not tell people I was in the application process so that I could avoid questions about my cycle.

If you are from CA this will happen to you at every interview. Better get used to it

If you go to a big state school that churns out tons of premeds (cough....UCLA....cough), this is pretty much unavoidable.

For all the gunners awkwarded out by other classmates :D (seriously :D )