Have you heard of a UCF or UNF student getting into a top tier med school? Will they hurt my chances

Orthomaybe?

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am currently trying to finalize my undergrad college decisions. I have received several acceptances to fairly decent universities (UCF, UNF, UPitt, VTech, PennSt), but have been unable to make a choice. Pitt, Penn State, and Virginia Tech are obviously far superior academically than UCF, and UNF, but because they are out of state forme, they would force me to take on 40-100k in undergrad debt, since my family cannot help me with the costs of tuition. Unfortunately, I was denied admission into UF which would've made this decision much easier, so I am forced to choose between some less than ideal options:

Option 1: attend UCF or UNF for free, possibly make money.

Option 2: take lots of debt at an OOS school.

Option 3: take a year off and reapply to UF, and a couple out of state schools with guaranteed merit aid (that I was not able to apply to this year). ( I have a 2130 SAT but I pretty much missed all of my scholarship deadlines and I only had a 1990 for my UF Application). If I take time off, I will be able to apply for merit scholarships and take a GAP year with some family friends in India.

Option 4: go to UCF and then transfer to a better State school. Maybe UF? Downside is that UF only accepts Junior Transfers and I am worried that I will be unable to develop quality relationships with professors for Recs and Research.

Option 1 seems like the easiest, most straight forward option, but I am worried that UCF and UNF might limit my med school prospects. I'm not saying this to brag, because I am well aware that medicine is an EXTREMELY competitive field and consists of a majority of brilliant people, but I don’t believe that my undergrad acceptances accurately represent my academic abilities. You don’t have to take my word for it, but if you assume that I am telling the truth, and I am able to earn a 3.8-4.0 GPA in Neuroscience or BioChem and get a competitive (35+) MCAT, and substantial research and volunteering, will I be at a disadvantage for top tier medical schools due to my undergrad institution? I read "undergrad institution is irrelevant" all the time, but I'm assuming that this is only a general trend and doesn’t apply to the top tier med schools (maybe I’m wrong). What do you guys think?

UNF and UCF both offer pretty good research opps. If I attend UNF, I can work at the MAYO Clinic in Jacksonville, and if I attend UCF, I could work at Sanford Burnham. So, I don’t think I have to worry about not being able to get involved in ECs.

What do you guys think? Should I take a GAP year and then reapply to better undergrad schools? Should I take the debt? Or, Should I attend UNF/UCF and if so, which one would you suggest? If you have any knowledge of the Med Schools that UNF/UCF students have gotten into, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to hSDN.

For what it's worth, there are many people at my top 10 medical school from schools I've never heard of in my life. It will behoove you to go to the school that you like best over the one that's the most prestigious that you dislike or is too expensive. Yes, school reputation matters, but not nearly as much as individual accomplishment.

For what it's worth, you'll likely also be taking out a lot of loans for medical school (which is more expensive than undergrad), so keep that in mind.

Whatever you do, don't take a gap year. It's really not necessary. If you want to transfer after your freshman year, go ahead. But don't spend a whole year between HS and med school when you could be getting a head start on things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever you do, don't take a gap year. It's really not necessary. If you want to transfer after your freshman year, go ahead. But don't spend a whole year between HS and med school when you could be getting a head start on things.

I'd disagree with that. For most people it might not help, but there are some for whom a gap year is immensely helpful. I took one after high school and came into college so much more prepared to succeed than if I had simply gone straight in. It can help develop life skills and the focus needed to do well. It is certainly not for everyone, but I don't think there is a hurry to get to where you are going. It takes so long to get there that trying to get a head start could easily burn some people out. And this is the only time in life till after retirement that someone might have the time to go out and do gap year activities. Work and shool tend to take life over.

I'd disagree with that. For most people it might not help, but there are some for whom a gap year is immensely helpful. I took one after high school and came into college so much more prepared to succeed than if I had simply gone straight in. It can help develop life skills and the focus needed to do well. It is certainly not for everyone, but I don't think there is a hurry to get to where you are going. It takes so long to get there that trying to get a head start could easily burn some people out. And this is the only time in life till after retirement that someone might have the time to go out and do gap year activities. Work and shool tend to take life over.

Let me rephrase... taking a gap year with the sole purpose of getting into a better undergrad so that you can get into med school, simply put, is pointless. Especially since getting into med school has more to do with yourself and how well you do in your prereqs, MCAT, etc, and not the undergrad you attend.

Reactions: 1 user
Let me rephrase... taking a gap year with the sole purpose of getting into a better undergrad so that you can get into med school, simply put, is pointless. Especially since getting into med school has more to do with yourself and how well you do in your prereqs, MCAT, etc, and not the undergrad you attend.

Ah, I see. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

Reactions: 1 user