Haven't heard from schools yet, getting nervous

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thetoothfairyyy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Date of submission: 6/20, took DAT on 7/29 and was uploaded on AADSAS on 8/14
Overall GPA:3.3
Science GPA: 3.2
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.2
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 19AA | PAT: 19 | QR: 20| Bio: 19| GC: 20| Orgo: 19| TS: 19
State of Residence: MI
Minority?
Yes
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

School list:
Meharry
University of Detroit Mercy
University of Michigan
University of Southern California

Should I add more schools to my application? Do I need to retake my DAT? I am kind of getting nervous because I haven't heard from any schools yet, everything else on application is solid, I have 100+ shadowing hours, 400 research hours with a publication in the works, I worked all throughout college, 300 volunteer hours, I held multiple leadership positions while in school. I know I should have applied to more schools, but money was tight when I applied.

Those are decent stats, not the best, but I think it’s the right amount needed to get you in somewhere. You definitely should have applied to 10+ schools. I’m not sure if it’s too late now but you might as well add more since you already submitted.

Date of submission: 6/20, took DAT on 7/29 and was uploaded on AADSAS on 8/14
Overall GPA:3.3
Science GPA: 3.2
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.2
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 19AA | PAT: 19 | QR: 20| Bio: 19| GC: 20| Orgo: 19| TS: 19
State of Residence: MI
Minority?
Yes
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

School list:
Meharry
University of Detroit Mercy
University of Michigan
University of Southern California

Should I add more schools to my application? Do I need to retake my DAT? I am kind of getting nervous because I haven't heard from any schools yet, everything else on application is solid, I have 100+ shadowing hours, 400 research hours with a publication in the works, I worked all throughout college, 300 volunteer hours, I held multiple leadership positions while in school. I know I should have applied to more schools, but money was tight when I applied.
Your AA is slightly below average, because the avg for matriculating students is about a 20.7. Your GPAs are also slightly below average I'd say. These two factors don't showcase you as a very strong student unfortunately. Besides that, 4 schools is way too few, even if someone had a 28/4.0 imo. Def would add at least 6-8 more schools, rather than have to reapply next year. Also, being a minority, make sure one of the schools you add is Howard. The rest will probably be other private schools since they are less picky on numbers in exchange for their higher COA. I would think about retaking your DAT if this cycle doesn't turn out positive for you, since a retake for this cycle would be at the end of Oct, which is far too late.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Prepare to retake the DAT. Not now, but brace for it. Your GPA can’t offset the DAT.

I would echo the above advice that you applied to far too few schools. With your stats I would have applied to over 20 schools.

Consider a postbacc or masters, with an eventual DAT retake. Soon, you may have to reconsider your level of motivation to become a dentist. As someone who did a postbacc myself, I know it's tough. You have to prove yourself with the hard numbers, no shortcuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.