Having a civilian spouse with a professional degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheTruckGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure by the nature of our schooling, many of you all have married someone who is a doctor/lawyer/dentist/etc., that wasn't in the military. I was curious, especially for those that stayed in beyond 4 years, if military life was tough on them. For example, PCSing to a different state and having to get a new state license, or getting stationed overseas where it would be more difficult for them to find a job, or just the frequency with which you PCS.

Members don't see this ad.

The answer is yes it will absolutely be more difficult, especially if they are in a specialty where you have to grow a practice/patient following. I would plan on them being employed vs an owner of a practice while you’re in the military. But for many that is fine and they enjoy the experience, so depends on your family’s goals.

Practicing professionally overseas can be very challenging and in some cases not possible, depends on specialty and country. Occasionally they can work on base if there is a need. My wife holds a professional degree and has to reapply in every new state we live in, so it can be done, just annoying.