Hawaii JABSOM vs. VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedstudent12345

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a Canadian who got accepted to both of these schools this week. I think I only have 5 business days to decide.

Hawaii (JABSOM)
Pros
  • Hawaii is beautiful. I fell in love with Hawaii and the school while I was there. I would feel like the luckiest person ever to go to medical school there.
  • I have been dreaming about matriculating at JABSOM for so long that it would be a shame to give up this opportunity.
  • Everybody was so welcoming to me when I went to interview
  • PBL
  • The community focus
  • Small class size + individualized attention
  • Good match list

Cons
  • 71k tuition. 100k cost of attendance. Canadian banks only allow you to borrow a maximum of 275,000 Canadian dollars (roughly 215,000 USD), which is not enough for all 4 years at JABSOM.
  • Housing and food are both extremely expensive
  • Expensive to fly to the mainland for residency interviews during 4th year

VCU
Pros
  • 52k tuition, which I could pay for completely with my student loan.
  • Richmond seems like a cute little city
  • Affordable housing
  • 1.5 preclinical years and lots of opportunities to do away rotations
  • Good match list

Cons
  • Nothing really, other than it being cold in the winter.

Summary: I don't know what to do. I think logically the best decision is VCU but I feel like I would regret it if I didn't choose Hawaii. But then again, medical school is stressful enough as it is, that I don't want to be worrying about money while I'm there. I don't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the COA at VCU ~90k? Which runs you into the same problem at JABSOM. It is up to you if that difference is worth the additional "happiness" you may or may not receive at JABSOM. You should probably try to reach out to any Canadian students at both schools to try to find out more information on this.

I'd do unspeakable things to have Hawaii's weather during med school! Unfortunately, if you aren't able to borrow the amount required for attendance, the financial realities of the situation might have made your choice for you. Can you apply for US student loans as a Canadian citizen? I don't think private loans are the way to go for funding med school. Hopefully someone with a better understanding of financing med school for international students can chime in!

Reactions: 2 users
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the COA at VCU ~90k? Which runs you into the same problem at JABSOM. It is up to you if that difference is worth the additional "happiness" you may or may not receive at JABSOM. You should probably try to reach out to any Canadian students at both schools to try to find out more information on this.

Thank you. But I think it is an overestimate. Tuition is 52k. Rent is 600-700/month if you live with roommates. I'm a thrifty person. I don't see COA being more than 70k realistically.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd do unspeakable things to have Hawaii's weather during med school! Unfortunately, if you aren't able to borrow the amount required for attendance, the financial realities of the situation might have made your choice for you. Can you apply for US student loans as a Canadian citizen? I don't think private loans are the way to go for funding med school. Hopefully someone with a better understanding of financing med school for international students can chime in!

Yeah I think you're right. And no I can't apply for US student loans. Thank you.

Thank you. But I think it is an overestimate. Tuition is 52k. Rent is 600-700/month if you live with roommates. I'm a thrifty person. I don't see COA being more than 70k realistically.
Thanks for clarifying. Maybe reach out to the financial aid office at Hawaii to see their opinions? There has to be other Canadian students there that have been in your situation. If not, it looks like your decision might be made for you. VCU is a great school and I remember there were a good amount of Canadian students who were receptive to questions when I visited.

Reactions: 1 user
sheesh this is tough. I would HATE to turn down Hawaii, but if you can't afford it its pretty clear cut. I would call them about financial aid though and see if they can help you out or know if there's a way you could finance it (if its worth it to you). Personally I would be doing everything i could to go to Hawaii though

Reactions: 1 users
Both great options. Personally, I would get really distracted in Hawaii! At the same time, it's like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! If you're really into it, I would go for it. As the other posters said, Hawaii might be able to do something to bridge the tuition gap.

Ooh - If there is any way you can figure out that financial situation, it would be really tough to turn down Hawaii! I have family that lives there and they love it. But it also has its downsides - it will be hot and humid all year. I’m from FL and was told that it’s hotter than FL and more humid year round (not sure if that’s true for the summer - I keep thinking it’s probably a bit cooler and definitely more breezy in HI). If you’re coming from Canada that will be a bit of a shock to the system, but we have enough Canadian transplants where I live that I know they make the transition.

Best of luck on this - do keep us updated on your choice. This seems largely to be a financial one. Hawaii seems to be the clear winner in every way except for loans.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile