Headache/nausea during MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunflower18

Master of Naps
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I am taking the MCAT next week on August 22nd, and I am really worried that I'm going to get a headache and nausea in the middle of it. I'm not really sure if the onset of these symptoms correlates with my stress level... I just know that I get headaches and nausea really frequently as of the past few months, and I haven't yet figured out a way to ignore them.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks as to how to ward off headaches/nausea? Or how to make them go away as quickly as possible? I will probably take preemptive Ibuprofen before the test for headache and eat some ginger chews during the breaks for nausea. I'm just really concerned about this, and anyone's experiences would be great to hear.

This is NOT at ALL seeking medical advice by the way, haha. Just about how to manage annoying symptoms that crop up during professional exams.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're on to something with the prophylactic ibuprofen/ginger. Honestly, I have a feeling your adrenaline is going to kick in and you will be fine. If you do start experiencing some symptoms, close your eyes, take a few deep breathes, count to 10, whatever you need to do to relax. Any time you lose by doing this will be well worth it.

Survivor DO

I think you're on to something with the prophylactic ibuprofen/ginger. Honestly, I have a feeling your adrenaline is going to kick in and you will be fine. If you do start experiencing some symptoms, close your eyes, take a few deep breathes, count to 10, whatever you need to do to relax. Any time you lose by doing this will be well worth it.

Survivor DO

I sure hope that I don't go into prophylaxis from the Ibuprofen :eek: Kidding aside, that is good to hear. I wasn't really sure if the adrenaline would help to calm this type of thing, or exacerbate it. Definitely hoping for the former! Thanks for the advice :thumbup:

Edit: Is that what it's called, though? Taking something preemptively? I figured it was a typo, but I realize now that maybe it was terminology that I'm unfamiliar with... I always just use it in terms of allergic reactions. Awkward...

I sure hope that I don't go into prophylaxis from the Ibuprofen :eek: Kidding aside, that is good to hear. I wasn't really sure if the adrenaline would help to calm this type of thing, or exacerbate it. Definitely hoping for the former! Thanks for the advice :thumbup:

Edit: Is that what it's called, though? Taking something preemptively? I figured it was a typo, but I realize now that maybe it was terminology that I'm unfamiliar with... I always just use it in terms of allergic reactions. Awkward...

On an exam I took last year, I really had a bad headache (a rarity) and normally I never have headaches. But it has to do with me not consuming my coffee something I do daily and frequently. So I would say pre-empt the whole thing by taking Ibprufen or tylenol and you will be glad. There is no downside to taking the medication and if you do develop it during exam, it should be under control because you took it right before the test. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Caffeine. It'll make you more concentrated on top of all the adrenaline already.

Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper have the right amount of caffeine for this purpose that won't make you jittery. Split a 20-oz bottle across your breaks. That amount won't make you pee much more either, so that's a good thing. Unless you've always had small bladder problems lol

On an exam I took last year, I really had a bad headache (a rarity) and normally I never have headaches. But it has to do with me not consuming my coffee something I do daily and frequently. So I would say pre-empt the whole thing by taking Ibprufen or tylenol and you will be glad. There is no downside to taking the medication and if you do develop it during exam, it should be under control because you took it right before the test. Hope that helps!

Yeah, that's the plan. I rarely drink coffee so luckily I won't have to worry about that! That sounds awful though -- I'm glad you got through it :) Thanks!!

Caffeine. It'll make you more concentrated on top of all the adrenaline already.

Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper have the right amount of caffeine for this purpose that won't make you jittery. Split a 20-oz bottle across your breaks. That amount won't make you pee much more either, so that's a good thing. Unless you've always had small bladder problems lol

You know, caffeine doesn't work for me. That sounds ridiculous, but whenever I've tried soda or coffee or caffeinated tea, I never feel more awake or jittery or anything ever. I don't know why.

That's something I don't have to worry about. I go the bathroom once or twice a day. My bladder is a trooper :thumbup: (tmi?? hahaha)

Hey everybody,

I am taking the MCAT next week on August 22nd, and I am really worried that I'm going to get a headache and nausea in the middle of it. I'm not really sure if the onset of these symptoms correlates with my stress level... I just know that I get headaches and nausea really frequently as of the past few months, and I haven't yet figured out a way to ignore them.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks as to how to ward off headaches/nausea? Or how to make them go away as quickly as possible? I will probably take preemptive Ibuprofen before the test for headache and eat some ginger chews during the breaks for nausea. I'm just really concerned about this, and anyone's experiences would be great to hear.

This is NOT at ALL seeking medical advice by the way, haha. Just about how to manage annoying symptoms that crop up during professional exams.
No big deal, just bring a little med baggy with basic essentials. I just took it on Wednesday and had two zip locks. One had my snacks, another had basic medicine. Things like ear plugs, eye drops, advil, cough drops, pepto. Only used ear plugs and during my second break I felt a head ache coming on and I popped two liquid gels with out a second thought and I didn't have a problem on the BS section.

You know, caffeine doesn't work for me. That sounds ridiculous, but whenever I've tried soda or coffee or caffeinated tea, I never feel more awake or jittery or anything ever. I don't know why.

That's something I don't have to worry about. I go the bathroom once or twice a day. My bladder is a trooper :thumbup: (tmi?? hahaha)

I'm not recommending it for the awake part, but rather for the headache part. Caffeine --> vasoconstriction --> happy sunflower18 with no headache. :thumbup:

My ass has been saved more than once by downing Mountain Dew when an inconvenient headache episode came around.

No big deal, just bring a little med baggy with basic essentials. I just took it on Wednesday and had two zip locks. One had my snacks, another had basic medicine. Things like ear plugs, eye drops, advil, cough drops, pepto. Only used ear plugs and during my second break I felt a head ache coming on and I popped two liquid gels with out a second thought and I didn't have a problem on the BS section.

oh my gosh, eye drops is the best idea ever. i have allergies like no other. (man, this thread makes me sound like a winner. allergies, nausea, and headaches -- i'm a real catch). thanks for the ideas!!!

I'm not recommending it for the awake part, but rather for the headache part. Caffeine --> vasoconstriction --> happy sunflower18 with no headache. :thumbup:

My ass has been saved more than once by downing Mountain Dew when an inconvenient headache episode came around.

i've never thought of that!!! wow! good idea!! thanks! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I dunno if they allow this but I chew ginger gum for my nausea that's a side effect of one of my medications. CVS has ginger gum specifically for nausea. Although if gum isn't allowed I guess this is pointless :/

Yeah, no, you've definitely got that one mixed up...the allergy term is anaphylactic. Prophylactic, in all contexts, means preventative. For example, condoms are prophylactics.

Last edited:
Yeah, no, you've definitely got that one mixed up...the allergy term is anaphylactic. Prophylactic, in all contexts, means preventative. For example, condoms are prophylactics.

Awkward..... I'm so tired and burnt out from studying hahaha