Headache Positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drjofmi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anybody aware of any headache positions out there.

I will complete a headache fellowship in 2 years (one more year of residency).

Before you ask I am going into this field for the opportunity to help a bunch of people who no one wants to treat.

Because I believe it is a growing field and could be a good business move.

I actually enjoy reading about straight neurology more than practicing it all the time.

I can't stand how inefficient it is to work in a hospital.

I am worried about reimbursement for procedures and may want to do a year of pain as well to secure funds for enough office staff to make it work.

Does anyone have any info?

Members don't see this ad.

Before you ask I am going into this field for the opportunity to help a bunch of people who no one wants to treat.

I actually enjoy reading about straight neurology more than practicing it all the time.

I am worried about reimbursement for procedures and may want to do a year of pain as well to secure funds for enough office staff to make it work.

Check around with some pain management groups because they are always happy to have a headache person on board to refer these patients too. Unfortunately, a job like that would take you away from general neurology too.

The Marshfield Clinic always seems to want headache people. As well, check with any academic institution, they might be more than happy to have you on board. I can think of at least one University hospital setting where the residents dump patient consults to the headache clinic because they know what a pain these patients are.

I would hire you right now, if only our dept chief would let me . . . :laugh:

Unfortunately, pure outpatient headache clinic work doesn't generate a lot of reimbursement income (unless you add on a few bells and whistles like botox or other injection procedures), so you will have to end up doing a lot of volume to be viable in private practice, or convince the practice that it's worth their time to send you all the hateful chronic headache patients and let the other docs essentially "subsidize" your headache practice.

Also, completely avoiding all hospital work is tough (believe me . . . I've been trying for 12 years . . . :mad:)

Thanks for the responses!

I think head and neck working in a pain clinic after fellowships in headache and pain, doing injections, infusion center, Botox and PN blocks is the way to go.

The patient pop is a real pain, I know, but there is sooo much need.

Depending on the way the system goes I could end up taking cash. I was told by one university director that 60% of dedicated private clinic already do.

I am working on a project to speed up headache patient appts.

I would still like to do a very rare gen neuro or stroke wk to keepmy skills, but nothing more than that really.

I have found that if you can help these patients they are very grateful, which is nice.

It would be great to get reimbursment for phone calls.