Heading for LOI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

begoood95

The Friendly Gunner™
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm writing a Letter of Intent to a specific school which stated clearly that they appreciate and take into account such things when making appointments. I'm trying to keep it under one page, but I'm literally 2-4 lines above (and I've already made it as concise as possible [don't comment on making it anymore concise please; I'm confident in what I wrote and won't really consider making it shorter—I've already sent it to 3 other people:)]).

I'm thinking that my heading is a little "overkill" (though looks nice), and that's where I'm wondering if I could cut down at. Here's the heading as it stands:

"Billy Joe Bob
AMCAS ID: 12345678
420 S 69th St.
Middle of Nowhere, OK 90210

December 11th, 2017

Disgusting Sandwich Sauce
More numbers
6969 S 420th Ave.
Also in the middle of nowhere​

To whom it may concern,"

Do you think this is necessary, or can I delete one of the above addresses and get straight to "To whom it may concern"?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Play with fonts. Go from 12 point to 11.5 point font or make minor changes in tracking (letter spacing).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Could also change the margins from 1" to 0.9" all around or lesser.

Reactions: 1 users
I would get rid of "to whom it may concern" and call the admissions office and ask who the LOI should be addressed to. It makes it more personal in my opinion (unless of course you're using this heading as an example for the sake of staying anonymous on SDN).

I would get rid of "to whom it may concern" and call the admissions office and ask who the LOI should be addressed to. It makes it more personal in my opinion (unless of course you're using this heading as an example for the sake of staying anonymous on SDN).
Good idea. I just called and they said to just address it to the admissions committee! Do you think that should be "Dear Admissions Committee," or...?

Good idea. I just called and they said to just address it to the admissions committee! Do you think that should be "Dear Admissions Committee," or...?
Yeah that should be fine! I'm actually also working on a LOI but when I called my school they told me to address the dean so I think every school varies in terms of who reads it!

So I'm writing a Letter of Intent to a specific school which stated clearly that they appreciate and take into account such things when making appointments. I'm trying to keep it under one page, but I'm literally 2-4 lines above (and I've already made it as concise as possible [don't comment on making it anymore concise please; I'm confident in what I wrote and won't really consider making it shorter—I've already sent it to 3 other people:)]).

I'm thinking that my heading is a little "overkill" (though looks nice), and that's where I'm wondering if I could cut down at. Here's the heading as it stands:

"Billy Joe Bob
AMCAS ID: 12345678
420 S 69th St.
Middle of Nowhere, OK 90210

December 11th, 2017

Disgusting Sandwich Sauce
More numbers
6969 S 420th Ave.
Also in the middle of nowhere​

To whom it may concern,"

Do you think this is necessary, or can I delete one of the above addresses and get straight to "To whom it may concern"?

Thank you!

If you don't mind me asking, are you sending this pre decision or post decision?

AHH GOOD LUCK!! Did you get waitlisted at this school if you don't mind me asking? (you can also PM me if you want)

If you don't mind me asking, are you sending this pre decision or post decision?
I see no reason to be cryptic here! It was pre-decision at Mayo (MN), where they explicitly said at the interview that they take these seriously when making appointments.

I've finished interviewing, and am 100% comfortable with this decision after giving it some thought, thinking about my future aspirations, and given that I won't have problems matching into competitive residencies from there (having had a chance to look at their match list).

Reactions: 6 users
I see no reason to be cryptic here! It was pre-decision at Mayo (MN), where they explicitly said at the interview that they take these seriously when making appointments.

I've finished interviewing, and am 100% comfortable with this decision after giving it some thought, thinking about my future aspirations, and given that I won't have problems matching into competitive residencies from there (having had a chance to look at their match list).
Whoa 20II? What a cycle! Wishing you all the best!

I am currently also writing an LOI, but this is post decision (waitlist). When is an appropriate time to send the letter?

I am currently also writing an LOI, but this is post decision (waitlist). When is an appropriate time to send the letter?
Well, if it's post-decision then anytime would work! I personally would try to get it in before Christmas maybe? Otherwise, wait until after the new year IMO

Besides Mayo, are there other schools accept LOIs post interview? I'm just wondering because of a certain school I want to send one to but idk if theyre receptive post interview but pre decision. I heard from a friend that at some schools a LOI pre decision can push you towards the wait list since it can come off as desperation but this seems like it could be a baseless claim. Anybody have any 2 cents ?

I wrote a LOI to the AZ campus as well, and just wrote an email to someone I had previous interaction with on the admissions committee. I don't think they will nitpick formatting and other little details - they just want to know you prioritize them. You're an awesome candidate - I'm sure you'll get in! Good luck.

Besides Mayo, are there other schools accept LOIs post interview? I'm just wondering because of a certain school I want to send one to but idk if theyre receptive post interview but pre decision. I heard from a friend that at some schools a LOI pre decision can push you towards the wait list since it can come off as desperation but this seems like it could be a baseless claim. Anybody have any 2 cents ?

Definitely not the case with Mayo - they specifically ask for communication about your degree of interest post-interview. It will just vary by school. Most schools I've applied to have emphasized that they don't want ANY further updates/letters unless it's to let them know about a prestigious award or publication. So I could see that if you go ahead and send one anyway, it would be seen in a negative light. Basically I would say it's not a great idea unless you know the school is open to it and/or you're already on the wait list and you have something very relevant to add.