heads up, new 3 yr pharmd program in oregon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted6669

fyi-new program in the northwest at pacific uniiversity:

The Hardwick Day marketing study documents a shortage of pharmacists within the United States. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, employment of pharmacists is expected to increase at slightly more than twice the national rate for all other occupations through the year 2012. Aging "Baby Boomers" are beginning to put an unprecedented burden on all aspects of the health care system, including pharmacy. Additionally, as the general population ages, so do pharmacists; about 50% of Oregon's active pharmacists are now over age 45, and an estimated 16% of pharmacists left the workforce in 2002.

There are only six accredited pharmacy programs in the Pacific Northwest, and the feasibility study found that many qualified students are being turned away. Additionally, the phasing out of accredited baccalaureate pharmacy programs means that an increasing number of the 86% of active Oregon pharmacists with only that initial baccalaureate degree are enrolling in accredited Doctor of Pharmacy programs in order to secure a more accepted degree.

The School of Pharmacy will be a three-year program leading to the degree of Doctor of Pharmacy. The academic year will include the summer months, getting students out into the workforce one year earlier than traditional four-year programs.

The Pacific School of Pharmacy will be led by founding Dean Robert P. Rosenow. Rosenow received his Doctor of Pharmacy degree from the University of the Pacific in Stockton, Calif., and his Doctor of Optometry degree from Pacific University. He practiced both optometry and pharmacy prior to accepting a position with Pacific University in the Fall of 1990. During his 15 years with the University, Rosenow served as professor in both the College of Optometry and School of Physician Assistant Studies, clinic director of the Forest Grove Optometry Clinic, and Clinical Research Coordinator for the Physician Assistant program.

The addition of the School of Pharmacy makes it the third new program to be added by Pacific University since 1997. This tradition continues the trend for Pacific to become a preeminent health professions university in the Northwest.

"Our commitment is to provide a professional curriculum that is student-centered and guided by our view that the pharmacist plays a critical role as a member of the interdisciplinary health care team," said Rosenow. "Our students will be well prepared to improve the health care outcomes of a diverse patient population by providing competent and compassionate pharmaceutical care."

The Pacific School of Pharmacy will open in the fall of 2006 with 60 students, growing over the next several years until it admits 100 students annually. The program will prepare students to enter pharmacy practice in a variety of settings including hospitals, community pharmacies, and the pharmaceutical industry.

Both programs are seeking national accreditation.

Posted by Gabrielle Williams ([email protected]) on Jun 14, 2005 at 4:06 PM

Associated with...
Alumni
Alumni e-News
College of Health Professions
Media Releases
Pacific Homepage
PUNN (Pacific University Network News)

Pacific University | 2043 College Way • Forest Grove, Oregon 97116
877.PAC.UNIV / 503.357.6151

Search | Directory | Calendar | Careers at Pacific

Copyright © Pacific University, all rights reserved
Disclaimers

Members don't see this ad.

Pacific University (OR)...University of the Pacific (CA)...both 3 yr PharmD programs...hmm...despite them being in different states, people are bound to be confused at some point... ;) esp. since UOP's web address is http: www.pacific.edu ...haha

Members don't see this ad :)
emedpa said:
fyi-new program in the northwest at pacific uniiversity:

The Hardwick Day marketing study documents a shortage of pharmacists within the United States. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, employment of pharmacists is expected to increase at slightly more than twice the national rate for all other occupations through the year 2012. Aging "Baby Boomers" are beginning to put an unprecedented burden on all aspects of the health care system, including pharmacy. Additionally, as the general population ages, so do pharmacists; about 50% of Oregon's active pharmacists are now over age 45, and an estimated 16% of pharmacists left the workforce in 2002.

There are only six accredited pharmacy programs in the Pacific Northwest, and the feasibility study found that many qualified students are being turned away. Additionally, the phasing out of accredited baccalaureate pharmacy programs means that an increasing number of the 86% of active Oregon pharmacists with only that initial baccalaureate degree are enrolling in accredited Doctor of Pharmacy programs in order to secure a more accepted degree.

The School of Pharmacy will be a three-year program leading to the degree of Doctor of Pharmacy. The academic year will include the summer months, getting students out into the workforce one year earlier than traditional four-year programs.

The Pacific School of Pharmacy will be led by founding Dean Robert P. Rosenow. Rosenow received his Doctor of Pharmacy degree from the University of the Pacific in Stockton, Calif., and his Doctor of Optometry degree from Pacific University. He practiced both optometry and pharmacy prior to accepting a position with Pacific University in the Fall of 1990. During his 15 years with the University, Rosenow served as professor in both the College of Optometry and School of Physician Assistant Studies, clinic director of the Forest Grove Optometry Clinic, and Clinical Research Coordinator for the Physician Assistant program.

The addition of the School of Pharmacy makes it the third new program to be added by Pacific University since 1997. This tradition continues the trend for Pacific to become a preeminent health professions university in the Northwest.

"Our commitment is to provide a professional curriculum that is student-centered and guided by our view that the pharmacist plays a critical role as a member of the interdisciplinary health care team," said Rosenow. "Our students will be well prepared to improve the health care outcomes of a diverse patient population by providing competent and compassionate pharmaceutical care."

The Pacific School of Pharmacy will open in the fall of 2006 with 60 students, growing over the next several years until it admits 100 students annually. The program will prepare students to enter pharmacy practice in a variety of settings including hospitals, community pharmacies, and the pharmaceutical industry.

Both programs are seeking national accreditation.

Posted by Gabrielle Williams ([email protected]) on Jun 14, 2005 at 4:06 PM

Associated with...
Alumni
Alumni e-News
College of Health Professions
Media Releases
Pacific Homepage
PUNN (Pacific University Network News)

Pacific University | 2043 College Way • Forest Grove, Oregon 97116
877.PAC.UNIV / 503.357.6151

Search | Directory | Calendar | Careers at Pacific

Copyright © Pacific University, all rights reserved
Disclaimers

I saw the stuff on the Pacific University Website. The campus over there is beautiful!! I think they're planning their opening date for Fall 2006 (for those of you that want the information).

Oregon is such a beautiful place :love:

FYI though, it'll be located off-campus at the new College of Health Professions Building in Hillsboro near Intel. Still a pretty place and should be state-of-the-art learning environment. If Pacific does anything well it's build great buildings for the students. They totally renovated the optometry school when I was a PA student there several years ago and it is GORGEOUS and totally technically awesome. Also, Rob Rosenow was one of my professors and he is truly an excellent teacher. I'm confident under his direction it will be an outstanding program.
Lisa PA-C

aurovon said:
Oregon is such a beautiful place :love:

primadonna22274 said:
FYI though, it'll be located off-campus at the new College of Health Professions Building in Hillsboro near Intel. Still a pretty place and should be state-of-the-art learning environment. If Pacific does anything well it's build great buildings for the students. They totally renovated the optometry school when I was a PA student there several years ago and it is GORGEOUS and totally technically awesome. Also, Rob Rosenow was one of my professors and he is truly an excellent teacher. I'm confident under his direction it will be an outstanding program.
Lisa PA-C

Sweet. Thanks for the info. :)

primadonna22274 said:
Lisa PA-C
Is Pacific a "for profit" school?

I'm not really sure what you mean by that; it is a private school, one of the oldest in Oregon, founded by Methodist missionaries over a hundred fifty years ago. My baby sister's an undergrad there now; I was a PA student there in '98-'00. Look up the website if you want details www.pacificu.edu
L.

Caverject said:
Is Pacific a "for profit" school?

that is a really good deal to get out one year earlier but one cannot help but wonder if the amount/quality of education is the same as a four year program (even if the summers are taken into account)

I think the quality of my education is just fine. However, you have to be strong minded to get through the program

I just meant are they for profit or a "not for profit" place. I didn't mean that the education stinks because they were for profit. However, they do stink because of the initials PU! :laugh:

hehehehehehehheeheheh funny initials PU

what about furman university in south carolina?

Caverject said:
I think the quality of my education is just fine. However, you have to be strong minded to get through the program
ok serious question.... you've said that 3 year schools take a very strong committment (i can only imagine).
do you think cramming it all in in a short amount of time has any bearing on retention?
i can't say that i retain everything i have learned has stuck but i think i would be very burned out in the evenings if i had truly gone to class all day and then had to study...

how do you feel that the strain on the attention span effects your learning/grades?

I can't speak for the other 3 year schools, but the way our school is, if you didn't learn something from last quarter (not memorize, but actually learn it) you are totally screwed the next quarter and the next quarter till you learn it. If you don't learn quickly, a 3 yr program is not for you.

does anyone know if Pacific is going to get accredited before they open? what about if they need the pcat. i haven't seen any info on these topics, so if anyone knows, please let me know!

Sorry! I meant pre-accreditation status. I was looking on their website and they were saying that they're getting things together so that they can get the status before the school opens in fall 2006. do you think they'll get it in time??? how long does it normally take for them to get pre-accreditation status?

FutureRxGal said:
New schools are never accredited before opening. Full accreditation is awarded only after the first class graduates.