Health Care Reform Bill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pianopooh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Emphasis on reimbursing MTM and good patient care models. Sounds like a good direction to further improve managing patient drug use. Hurray!

Full text: http://energycommerce.house.gov/Press_111/20090619/healthcarereform_discussiondraft.pdf

Source: http://www.pharmacist.com/AM/Template.cfm?Template=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=20048

Members don't see this ad.

Emphasis on reimbursing MTM and good patient care models. Sounds like a good direction to further improve managing patient drug use. Hurray!

Full text: http://energycommerce.house.gov/Press_111/20090619/healthcarereform_discussiondraft.pdf

Source: http://www.pharmacist.com/AM/Template.cfm?Template=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=20048

This has been going on for sometime now 3rd parties not convinced and dont want to pay... if your MTM is accepted you get $60 per 15-20 mins...... If you can't get paid for it then it doesn't mean much. The battle continues.

This has been going on for sometime now 3rd parties not convinced and dont want to pay... if your MTM is accepted you get $60 per 15-20 mins...... If you can't get paid for it then it doesn't mean much. The battle continues.

Right, my professors have pointed that out during our PT courses. It seems diabetes management is an area for MTM, and reimbursement for diabetic counseling is very good... if only it's accepted by the insurance. Hopefully this Bill will encourage 3rd parties to start accepting MTM.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was pretty powerful to watch the Obama roundtable tonight. I was equally impressed when the correspondent leading the roundtable asked this question to the audience:

"Who here supports health care for all Americans?"
(About 75% of hands go up)

"Who here thinks the health care system should stay exactly the way it is now?"
(0 hands go up)

What was powerful is some of the names that were in the audience. There were doctors from the Mayo Clinic, the head of the American Medical Association, Leaders of HMO's, independent study groups, cancer patients, children, the AARP, medical students, etc.

It was cool to hear Obama touch base on how he feels about medical students being forced out of primary care because of their amount of loans and the comparatively low pay to a specialization.

I hope they do more of these - it was great to hear the differing opinions but everyone was coming together to help form an idea and Obama was listening to their advice and questions. That's the way it should be.

It was pretty powerful to watch the Obama roundtable tonight. I was equally impressed when the correspondent leading the roundtable asked this question to the audience:

(0 hands go up)

A handpicked audience. Hardly a surprising outcome.

cjhrph,

what area of pharmacy do you work in? what have you done to make yourself more marketable? i had 5 job interviews all over the country and no problem finding a job. My wife, also a pharmacist, found one in 1 week of looking in the city we are moving to (which is a large city with mutliple pharmacy schools in the state). You sound like another retailer just complaining and making threads about random **** that has already been talked about many times over.

We were talking about nationalizing the health care system and the health care discussion last night. I'm not sure what that has to do with your job interview sucess??

Please elaborate.

I'm done. Go back to watching Fox News and listening to Rush on the Syndicate. I'm a Republican... you're a Republican. That's all there is to it.. and there's a big, big difference in my eyes.

We were talking about nationalizing the health care system and the health care discussion last night. I'm not sure what that has to do with your job interview sucess??

Please elaborate.

icon8.gif
Pharmacist Glut?
I was very surprised to be reading the Sunday paper this week and see and ad from an pharmacist looking for work, full time or part time. The demand here in the northeast has contracted sharply. There are many more new pharmacy schools in the region of the country. New York has opened at least 3 new ones that I know of. It's getting ridiculous. The current market will simply not support this influx of new practitioners. I am very unhappy about all the new pharmacy schools that are being allow to open their doors. It's unsustainable.

Did you not start the above thread?

Yes, I did. It ran in last Sunday's paper. What's your point?

Yes, I did. It ran in last Sunday's paper. What's your point?

I stated it in a previous post...your thread is worthless...and you sound like a typical retailer who complains about everything and does absolutely nothing about it

and you still have not answered my question

You don't to have to like it. Why are you hating on the retailers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your answer: Two pharmacy degrees, RPH, PharmD, Hospital pharmacist.

you seem to not like the profession or your job...maybe you should add a third degree

you seem to not like the profession or your job...maybe you should add a third degree

I think you hit the nail on the head. This is what he said in his own thread the other day:

Who in their right mind would obtain a bachelors degree, go to 4 years of pharmacy school, and then two years of residency to be a pharmacist? 6 to 10 years of school and you cant even write a prescription?

Who in their right mind would obtain a bachelors degree, go to 4 years of pharmacy school, and then two years of residency to be a pharmacist? 6 to 10 years of school and you cant even write a prescription?

maybe you should add a third degree

That first statement is still valid. Lets not let your residency go to your head.

You still never answered, why are you flaming the retailers. Are they beneath you?

Last edited:

maybe you should add a third degree

That first statement is still right on the money. Lets not let your residency go to your head.

You still never answered, why are you flaming the retailers. Are they beneath you?

1st. residency is not school. Yeah you are busy but it is not like taking tests and finals nor is it anywhere near as bad as a medical residency so they are not even comparable. I did the 2+4 worked a year then 2 years of residency. But I dont consider that 2 years of school...at all. 2nd. i write plenty of prescription/orders so not worried about that 3rd. You could say the same thing about other medical professions, look at DNP (4 years nursing, 2 years NP, 2 years Doctorate ), look at how PA school is changing. OH but wait they can write on a magical piece of paper. And quite frankly you could make the argument about medical school. To many who finish it was 250,000 dollars and they are locked in with no room to move around, and dont like what they are doing. IT sounds like you have some issues.

Retailers arent under me they do a completely different job. But many come on this board and complain and whine and then I ask them what they have done to open up doors and make themselves marketable and the answer is always nothing, just like in your case.

1st. residency is not school. I did the 2+4 worked a year then 2 years of residency. But I dont consider that 2 years of school...at all. 2nd.

Never implied that it was. You can call it whatever you like, but its still time spent.

But many come on this board and complain and whine and then I ask them what they have done to open up doors and make themselves marketable and the answer is always nothing, just like in your case.

So, you attack them and call them names because they're beneath you on the "job description scale"? Then you label anyone else and call names anyone who doesn't follow in lock-step with your views. Wow, your really filled up on yourself. Hope that works out for you.

1st. residency is not school. I did the 2+4 worked a year then 2 years of residency. But I dont consider that 2 years of school...at all. 2nd.

Never implied that it was. You can call it whatever you like, but its still time spent.

But many come on this board and complain and whine and then I ask them what they have done to open up doors and make themselves marketable and the answer is always nothing, just like in your case.

So, you attack them and call them names because they're beneath you on the "job description scale"? Then you label anyone else and call names anyone who doesn't follow in lock-step with your views. Wow, your really filled up on yourself. Hope that works out for you.

who is calling anyone names....is retailer considered name calling?? did i ever say anyone was beneath me in job description scale ....no you did...and who is filled up on themselves? TO me it sounds like you....

I'm done. Go back to watching Fox News and listening to Rush on the Syndicate. I'm a Republican... you're a Republican. That's all there is to it.. and there's a big, big difference in my eyes.

QFT.

Retailers arent under me they do a completely different job. But many come on this board and complain and whine and then I ask them what they have done to open up doors and make themselves marketable and the answer is always nothing, just like in your case.

Not quite sure where the attacking is in the former post...but definitely there are attacks in the latter...

Time Spent What..working on learning new material that will help you treat patients better and lead to a more stimulating career??

For some people CJ, it isnt all about making money right away.

(0 hands go up)

What was powerful is some of the names that were in the audience. There were doctors from the Mayo Clinic, the head of the American Medical Association, Leaders of HMO's, independent study groups, cancer patients, children, the AARP, medical students, etc.

It was cool to hear Obama touch base on how he feels about medical students being forced out of primary care because of their amount of loans and the comparatively low pay to a specialization.

I hope they do more of these - it was great to hear the differing opinions but everyone was coming together to help form an idea and Obama was listening to their advice and questions. That's the way it should be.

hahahaha That ABC Obama healthcare infomercial was really fair and balanced... People that think that is a balanced perspective on the American people's view of healthcare should not be allowed to vote...nevermind, politically uneducated voters are Obamas base he would never let that happen.

hahahaha That ABC Obama healthcare infomercial was really fair and balanced... People that think that is a balanced perspective on the American people's view of healthcare should not be allowed to vote...nevermind, politically uneducated voters are Obamas base he would never let that happen.

I'm republican and didn't vote for him, for the record.

I'm republican and didn't vote for him, for the record.

I am a little surprised at that CTP. You've been cheerleading for the nationalization of healthcare and judging by some of your comments I get the feeling that your quite comfortable with the expansion of the bureaucracy.

The problems that exist with our current system of healthcare are the result of too much government. More than 1/2 current of healthcare spending is done by government. More government is not the answer.

These "infomercials" are nothing but a dog and pony show and are pure garbage. I don't see how you can be "impressed" by these.

I am a little surprised at that CTP. You've been cheerleading for the nationalization of healthcare and judging by some of your comments I get the feeling that your quite comfortable with the expansion of the bureaucracy.

The problems that exist with our current system of healthcare are the result of too much government. More than 1/2 current of healthcare spending is done by government. More government is not the answer.

These "infomercials" are nothing but a dog and pony show and are pure garbage. I don't see how you can be "impressed" by these.

Those are your views... here are mine. Let's just say after helping my mother pay down $200,000 in medical bills, in cash, from breast cancer that I'm an advocate for anything to help the under served. I don't care if I have to pay for it, if you have to pay for it, if we all have to pay for it. There are good, hard-working people who cannot. I don't want to live any longer in a country that doesn't care.

What I'm more excited about is the concept of ridding the healthcare system of 'pre-existing conditions' and people being priced out of the system. Primarily the latter. Before cancer, with virtually no serious health problems other than being a smoker with a history of cancer and heart disease in her family, my mother was paying $1200/mo for health care coverage. Eventually, she had to drop it. Six months later she was diagnosed with breast cancer.

Again, you have your views and I have mine. Mine aren't up for debate and especially not with you.

I guess it is just the way that some people think....Some people want Obama running our healthcare, auto industry, our energy, our financial system and the media. Remember though, when the govt creates and runs bankrupt programs they dont go away *cough amtrack, medicare, social security, etc. And when talking about your grandma, you can also thank the government for forcing private charities to shut their doors (look it up).

You "dont want to live in a country any longer that doesnt care."
Terrible take...go to France if you think the government doesn't care about you enough here.

"A gov't big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson