Health Care Reform

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've said in another thread, several months ago, that I don't care HOW we get to more accessible, less expensive healthcare, as long as we get there. I don't have a sacred cow in this debate. So I don't necessarily believe that expanding Medicare for all is THE ideal situation. But if we were to do so, we should follow Australia's lead. Australia's medical system is also known as Medicare, it covers most things, and it is a 1.5% tax levy on every single citizen below $75,000 in income -- 2.5% for those above 75,000 IF they don't have private insurance as well. There's a system of private insurance to cover things that Medicare doesn't cover or to get quicker care at private hospitals. About 50% of the population has private insurance.
Yes indeed. It's do-able if we had the will and our political leadership had the guts
 
I understand the concept of using tax to pay for government service. The fact of the matter is that, in general, people are completely unwilling to pay additional tax for any service the government would provide, no matter how necessary. And comparing the U.S. to other countries is confounded by several factors, not the least of which is the fact that we have a much more heterogeneous population than all of the countries that you listed as having better health care than ours. There is one fact that we can agree on - our average life expectancy is shorter than that of people in several other countries. Pinning that on the health care system is a great way to gloss over the fact that we have other, severe problems that should be addressed that health care cannot be a band-aid for. Yes, it could be access to health care that is causing problems. But it could be other things, and unless you show me some literature stating that it is, in fact, a deficit of health care that causes our problems, you are speaking meaningless words. The fact of the matter is that you don't know what is causing problems in the U.S. and blindly stating that it is the health care system is dangerous in that it keeps us from actually stating what the real cause is. If we were to find out that our health care system is empirically worse than others, I'd be all for the switch. However, just blindly moving to a single payer system is not going to be the magical fix you seem to think it will be.

Granted that single payer is not magic bullet that solves the problem.
Obamacare is one approach that unfortunately was patched together to
appeal to various constituencies for the sake of passage. The run-away
cost of health care is predicated on a health care consumer market that
demands more and better, but an unwillingness to pay for it through
taxation or other funding sources. Single payer is the system we use
for Medicare so its been tested since 1965 for better or worse. Obviously,
there is waste in the Medicare system and maybe that's the major
problem which needs to be confronted. We now cover 40 million citizens (age 65 and over) under a single payer system. The VA system could also arguably be considered a single payer operation There is still three hundred million out there that should have access. The NHS in England
is the equivalent of the VA with government owned hospitals etc., which
may not be the best approach for a nation-wide health care system. But,
the Brits also have access to private health insurance so many employers
offer a private plan besides all Brits having access to the comprehensive
government system. You have suspenders and a belt to hold up your pants.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Several insurance companies have already stopped covering kids altogether:

Link

It's become quite clear that the profit motive is not fit for health insurance.

Like with everything, I think progressive ideas will win out eventually. In my lifetime, this country will have single-payer health insurance and our insane defense budget will be a fraction of what it is. I don't think the right-wing will be able to "fool all of the people all of the time". The changes won't happen during this weak-sauce, kid-gloves administration, though.

Also, to LuciusVorenus, may I say, "13! 13! 13!"
 
Several insurance companies have already stopped covering kids altogether:

Link

It's become quite clear that the profit motive is not fit for health insurance.

Like with everything, I think progressive ideas will win out eventually. In my lifetime, this country will have single-payer health insurance and our insane defense budget will be a fraction of what it is. I don't think the right-wing will be able to "fool all of the people all of the time". The changes won't happen during this weak-sauce, kid-gloves administration, though.

Also, to LuciusVorenus, may I say, "13! 13! 13!"

rome_lg_03.gif


You called? 😀
 
Several insurance companies have already stopped covering kids altogether:

Link

It's become quite clear that the profit motive is not fit for health insurance.

Like with everything, I think progressive ideas will win out eventually. In my lifetime, this country will have single-payer health insurance and our insane defense budget will be a fraction of what it is. I don't think the right-wing will be able to "fool all of the people all of the time". The changes won't happen during this weak-sauce, kid-gloves administration, though.

Also, to LuciusVorenus, may I say, "13! 13! 13!"
Unfortunately, the "no-nothings" have again become a dominant political force
rallying folks who continue to want more but pay less.
 
Several insurance companies have already stopped covering kids altogether:

Link

It's become quite clear that the profit motive is not fit for health insurance.

Like with everything, I think progressive ideas will win out eventually. In my lifetime, this country will have single-payer health insurance and our insane defense budget will be a fraction of what it is. I don't think the right-wing will be able to "fool all of the people all of the time". The changes won't happen during this weak-sauce, kid-gloves administration, though.

Also, to LuciusVorenus, may I say, "13! 13! 13!"

So what else isn't profit meant for. Should cars be made not for profit, by the government? You wind up with the Trebant. Profit is good, healthcare is a privilege not a right.
 
Profit is good, but not in all things. Our military isn't run on profit. Healthcare is not a right, but it should be. The medical school you are going to is not for profit (unless you're going to Rocky Vista or in the Caribbean), neither is your university, or most of the hospitals you'll be working for.

To say profit is always good is as blind and stupid as the communists who say profit is never good.
 
Profit is good, but not in all things. Our military isn't run on profit. Healthcare is not a right, but it should be. The medical school you are going to is not for profit (unless you're going to Rocky Vista or in the Caribbean), neither is your university, or most of the hospitals you'll be working for.

To say profit is always good is as blind and stupid as the communists who say profit is never good.

Universities may nominally not be for profit, but looking at administrators' salaries they might as well be. SGU, Ross and AUC are for profit and are of decent quality; most private practices are. Healthcare would be better without insurance, which really isn't insurance, it's a form of collective bargaining. True insurance would protect you from catastrophic emergencies.
 
Last edited:
So what else isn't profit meant for. Should cars be made not for profit, by the government? You wind up with the Trebant. Profit is good, healthcare is a privilege not a right.
Don't tell the ADCOM you're not compassionate or you'll be outside looking in.
No bucks no treatment. If Healtcare is a privilege then only the privileged
should receive healthcare
 
Universities may nominally not be for profit, but looking at administrators' salaries they might as well be.

I don't think you understand the concept of non-profit. Non profit does not imply you cannot pay people competitive salaries.
Healthcare would be better without insurance, which really isn't insurance, it's a form of collective bargaining. True insurance would protect you from catastrophic emergencies.

Can you give a real life example of where this model works in healthcare?
 
Don't tell the ADCOM you're not compassionate or you'll be outside looking in.
No bucks no treatment. If Healtcare is a privilege then only the privileged
should receive healthcare

All ready in. Suggesting that medicine should be in the private sector and should be given to those who pay is shocking. I would be willing to do pro bono in some cases, however I won't treat every single non-payer.
 
All ready in. Suggesting that medicine should be in the private sector and should be given to those who pay is shocking. I would be willing to do pro bono in some cases, however I won't treat every single non-payer.
you don't have to except if you work in public hospitals. It may be shocking but
the poor and destitute also get sick and deserve treatment. That's why health
care is a right and not a privilege. FutureDoc the C word is compassion. If
that's not in the cards then Wall Street is waiting.
 
you don't have to except if you work in public hospitals. It may be shocking but
the poor and destitute also get sick and deserve treatment. That's why health
care is a right and not a privilege. FutureDoc the C word is compassion. If
that's not in the cards then Wall Street is waiting.

I hate to break the news, but to survive one needs to make a profit. I said I would give some pro bono to those that are deserving, not all indigent people deserve pro bono care. The profit motive is fine. If a surgeon provides excellent care because it makes him rich versus his compassion, does it make a difference? The answer is no. I'm not here to impeach your motives, how about we lay off the ad hominem attacks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hate to break the news, but to survive one needs to make a profit. I said I would give some pro bono to those that are deserving, not all indigent people deserve pro bono care. The profit motive is fine. If a surgeon provides excellent care because it makes him rich versus his compassion, does it make a difference? The answer is no. I'm not here to impeach your motives, how about we lay off the ad hominem attacks.
you said not all indigent people need pro bono care...pray tell if you don't have
money to pay the for-profit surgeon how do you get care? You're indigent because
you don't have money. That's some of the issues Obamacare is trying to address.
Again heath care is a right and not a privilege.
 
you said not all indigent people need pro bono care...pray tell if you don't have
money to pay the for-profit surgeon how do you get care? You're indigent because
you don't have money. That's some of the issues Obamacare is trying to address.
Again heath care is a right and not a privilege.

I said deserving of, don't mischaracterize my statements. Please demonstrate how healthcare is a right, since for a positive right you must prove the argument. If you don't have money you don't get care, if I can't pay the attorney they don't represent me, medicine should be no different in that respect. Getting care with no intention of paying is theft of services.
 
I said deserving of, don't mischaracterize my statements. Please demonstrate how healthcare is a right, since for a positive right you must prove the argument. If you don't have money you don't get care, if I can't pay the attorney they don't represent me, medicine should be no different in that respect. Getting care with no intention of paying is theft of services.
Future Doc don't tell ADCOM no on the C word (i.e.) compassion even if you have
40 on the MCAT and a 4.0 GPA. Everybody who is sick or injured is deserving or
do you plan to pre-screen folks for treatment. How do you pay if your are
homeless and flat broke??? Re-think your future career
 
I said deserving of, don't mischaracterize my statements. Please demonstrate how healthcare is a right, since for a positive right you must prove the argument. If you don't have money you don't get care, if I can't pay the attorney they don't represent me, medicine should be no different in that respect. Getting care with no intention of paying is theft of services.
Actually, an attorney for defense is a right, if you can't afford one yourself. Healthcare is a right so much as having police protection is a 'right', even if I can't personally afford to pay. It's a service that we as a society should decide should be available to everyone and pay for it collectively.

Let me ask you: 1) Should police protection be privatized and available to only those who can afford it? and 2) If so why? And if not, how is that different from medical care?
 
Actually, an attorney for defense is a right, if you can't afford one yourself. Healthcare is a right so much as having police protection is a 'right', even if I can't personally afford to pay. It's a service that we as a society should decide should be available to everyone and pay for it collectively.

Let me ask you: 1) Should police protection be privatized and available to only those who can afford it? and 2) If so why? And if not, how is that different from medical care?

Here's why a lot of people have a problem with healthcare being a right. First, let me re-frame this discussion as not what is a right or a privilege, but what people in a society have agreed upon as a service that society will provide. Read some Rousseau for background on social contract theory if necessary (I'm not trying to say you haven't, just that it's really interesting if you haven't).

Police services are something that most people agree upon, because there are people in our society who are criminals. I pay the police through tax to protect me, and everyone else, from other people and the stupid things they perpetrate upon others. That doesn't make police service a right, but something that I (theoretically) have agreed to pay for by living in this society. Now take healthcare. Whether or not you consider it a right, in order to have socialized health care of some kind, we would have to all (theoretically, again) agree that we will pay for it. But a lot of what health care pays for is not what one person does to another in an uncontrolled way, but the stupid things a person does to themselves. I don't want to pay to take care of the aftermath of the poor decisions another person made. For instance, take a person who has lung cancer due to smoking. Smoking was a stupid decision, and it resulted in an expensive health problem. That wasn't my problem, because I never decided to smoke, and never decided that the other person should smoke either. Yet socialized health care says that I still have to pay for it. Now tell me, how does that make sense? If you destroy your tv in a fit of rage, should I pay for that as well?
 
As you make your rounds are you going to tick of the good and the bad. Lung Cancer,
AIDS, VD, Diabetes bad so we should not pay...TB, Gall Bladder, Hernia good so we should pay

WOW...stay pre-health and out of medicine
 
As you make your rounds are you going to tick of the good and the bad. Lung Cancer,
AIDS, VD, Diabetes bad so we should not pay...TB, Gall Bladder, Hernia good so we should pay

WOW...stay pre-health and out of medicine

That's a really insulting assumption to make based on what I said. I did not say that I thought they should not be treated. I support the payment of treatment for those conditions by insurance companies. I do not support the payment for treatment of those conditions by myself, which is what a single payer system amounts to.
 
How about if they don't have insurance or can't get insurance....what then? Medicare
is a single-payer health insurance plan covering 40 million old folks. The single-payer
system is health insurance that covers the remaining 300 million citizens including you.
It's insurance plain and simple and you said insurance is good.
 
How about if they don't have insurance or can't get insurance....what then? Medicare
is a single-payer health insurance plan covering 40 million old folks. The single-payer
system is health insurance that covers the remaining 300 million citizens including you.
It's insurance plain and simple and you said insurance is good.

I'm not saying that there aren't problems with insurance. I find it appalling that you can be dropped from insurance for a medical problem, or that insurance doesn't pay for some things that doctors deem necessary. But the fact of the matter is that insurance is something that you pay into in case you need it later, while single payer is the government taking over all health-related costs. Those are not the same thing, because I have no choice in the matter if the government takes it over.

What I really don't get is how I'm not getting across to you that the problem most people have with single payer is that it forces us to pay for other people's health problems. Maybe I don't want to do that. This is especially so since I want to go into medicine. I find it perverse that under a single payer system I would be paying part of my own salary. There are other ways to accomplish covering everyone with insurance to some extent or another that don't violate my rights the same way single payer does.

In addition, there are huge issues with having a monopoly in anything, let alone health care. If the government controls prices on everything, I guarantee you that they will eventually start to try to cut costs by lowering reimbursement despite the fact that doing so might not be the best thing for the people involved. If you don't believe me, look at public education. Despite numerous studies that show that education correlates with pretty much every measure for how we are doing as a society, the government continually cuts education spending. What makes you think that it would be any different for health care?

Monopolies also do not encourage private spending on innovation. It isn't a coincidence that we have the best medical technological advances in the world - no other health care system incentivizes them the way ours does. That is ok for them, since they get the benefit of our progress without having to pay for it. But if we're not the ones making the progress, then no-one will be doing so. All of your expensive treatments for cancer and heart disease and every other health issue will cease to exist, and you're right: we'll end up paying less. You'll also still end up with people dying that didn't need to.

Yes, it sucks that there are people out there that don't have insurance, and yes we should find a way to get them health care of some sort. But you can't just close your eyes to the fact that we live in a capitalist society that doesn't tolerate socialized functions well. Both our economy and our government are not set up for it, and to think that you can just ignore that because health care policy is magically exempt is dangerous.
 
I'm not saying that there aren't problems with insurance. I find it appalling that you can be dropped from insurance for a medical problem, or that insurance doesn't pay for some things that doctors deem necessary. But the fact of the matter is that insurance is something that you pay into in case you need it later, while single payer is the government taking over all health-related costs. Those are not the same thing, because I have no choice in the matter if the government takes it over.

What I really don't get is how I'm not getting across to you that the problem most people have with single payer is that it forces us to pay for other people's health problems. Maybe I don't want to do that. This is especially so since I want to go into medicine. I find it perverse that under a single payer system I would be paying part of my own salary. There are other ways to accomplish covering everyone with insurance to some extent or another that don't violate my rights the same way single payer does.

In addition, there are huge issues with having a monopoly in anything, let alone health care. If the government controls prices on everything, I guarantee you that they will eventually start to try to cut costs by lowering reimbursement despite the fact that doing so might not be the best thing for the people involved. If you don't believe me, look at public education. Despite numerous studies that show that education correlates with pretty much every measure for how we are doing as a society, the government continually cuts education spending. What makes you think that it would be any different for health care?

Monopolies also do not encourage private spending on innovation. It isn't a coincidence that we have the best medical technological advances in the world - no other health care system incentivizes them the way ours does. That is ok for them, since they get the benefit of our progress without having to pay for it. But if we're not the ones making the progress, then no-one will be doing so. All of your expensive treatments for cancer and heart disease and every other health issue will cease to exist, and you're right: we'll end up paying less. You'll also still end up with people dying that didn't need to.

Yes, it sucks that there are people out there that don't have insurance, and yes we should find a way to get them health care of some sort. But you can't just close your eyes to the fact that we live in a capitalist society that doesn't tolerate socialized functions well. Both our economy and our government are not set up for it, and to think that you can just ignore that because health care policy is magically exempt is dangerous.
Europe has single payer....Australia has a single payer...Taiwan has single payer etc.
that are paid for in most cases by a Value Added Tax. You can also buy private insurance and your employer can offer same as part of the benefit package. Nobody falls between the cracks like folks in the U.S. The small government, no tax -tea baggers who are 65+ would go beserk if you took away their Medicare. Public schools
are socialistic institutions. You pay for people who have kids although you don't have
any etc. Our government is set up for it because we've been covering 40 million
old folks under the socialist type Medicare system since 1965. Sub-sahara Africa
has the type of system you envision. No pay no care because no insurance. Capitalist
loving Switzerland has a national health insurance scheme that covers all its citizens.
 
Police services are something that most people agree upon, because there are people in our society who are criminals. I pay the police through tax to protect me, and everyone else, from other people and the stupid things they perpetrate upon others. That doesn't make police service a right, but something that I (theoretically) have agreed to pay for by living in this society. Now take healthcare. Whether or not you consider it a right, in order to have socialized health care of some kind, we would have to all (theoretically, again) agree that we will pay for it. But a lot of what health care pays for is not what one person does to another in an uncontrolled way, but the stupid things a person does to themselves. I don't want to pay to take care of the aftermath of the poor decisions another person made. For instance, take a person who has lung cancer due to smoking. Smoking was a stupid decision, and it resulted in an expensive health problem. That wasn't my problem, because I never decided to smoke, and never decided that the other person should smoke either. Yet socialized health care says that I still have to pay for it. Now tell me, how does that make sense? If you destroy your tv in a fit of rage, should I pay for that as well?
First, it's really disingenious to compare a TV with getting cancer. Secondly, you pay for people's police protection even if they live in an usafe area. You pay their attorney's fees even if they've confessed and are guilty. They've committed the crime, and yet you give them an attorney. We do it because we realize that while no one wants to pay for an attorney to defend a murderer, the overall good to society that we get from providing such services is greater than the expenses we may waste providing a service to someone who is at fault.

And I would ask how many of the teabaggers want to get rid of Medicare - the demographics of the 'tea party' tend to be older folks and try telling even them that we won't fund medicare via taxes. The new plan that Republicans offered last week explicitely put medicare cuts off the table, same with social security cuts, and military cuts. Yay, there goes 70% of the budget. If people who have it are happy with it, and even a majority of the so called fiscal conservatives are deadset against gettign rid of medicare because they think it does more good than harm for our seniors than our society, surely that is the mark of a good program? If it's such a dystopia to have medicare and other government services, surely people wouldn't defend it so ardently?

Of course, I think many people are like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTwpBLzxe4U

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No."

:laugh:
 
Last edited:
Try way too high.

I find this view rather myopic. Here, allow my capitalist compadre to explain...

I'm rich; tax me more

Garrett Gruener

I'm a venture capitalist and an entrepreneur. Over the past three decades, I've made both good and bad investments. I've created successful companies and ones that didn't do so well. Overall, I'm proud that my investments have created jobs and led to some interesting innovations. And I've done well financially; I'm one of the fortunate few who are in the top echelon of American earners.

For nearly the last decade, I've paid income taxes at the lowest rates of my professional career. Before that, I paid at higher rates. And if you want the simple, honest truth, from my perspective as an entrepreneur, the fluctuation didn't affect what I did with my money. None of my investments has ever been motivated by the rate at which I would have to pay personal income tax.

As history demonstrates, modest changes in the tax rate for wealthy taxpayers don't make much of a difference if the goal is to build new companies, drive technological development and stimulate new industries. Almost a decade ago, President George W. Bush and his Republican colleagues in Congress pushed through a massive reduction in marginal tax rates, a reduction that benefited the wealthy far more than other taxpayers.

We were told the cuts would accelerate business growth and create jobs. Instead, we got nearly a decade of anemic job growth, stagnating wages, declining incomes and high inequality.

The supply-side, trickle-down economic policies of the last decade benefitted people like me, but the wealth didn't trickle down. So while we did quite well, people who live from paycheck to paycheck didn't.

When inequality gets too far out of balance, as it did over the course of the last decade, the wealthy end up saving too much while members of the middle class can't afford to spend much unless they borrow excessively. Eventually, the economy stalls for lack of demand, and we see the kind of deflationary spiral we find ourselves in now. I believe it is no coincidence that the two highest peaks in American income inequality came in 1929 and 2008, and that the following years were marked by low economic activity and significant unemployment.

What American businesspeople know, and have known since Henry Ford insisted that his employees be able to afford to buy the cars they made, is that a thriving economy doesn't just need investors; it needs people who can buy the goods and services businesses create. For the overall economy to do well, everyday Americans have to do well.

Now that the Bush tax cuts are about to expire, Republicans are again arguing that taxes should remain low for the wealthy. The idea is that this will spur people like me to put more capital to work and start more ventures, which will create new jobs, power the economy and ultimately produce more tax revenues. It's a beguiling theory, but it's one that hasn't worked before and won't work now.

Instead, Congress should let the Bush tax cuts expire for the wealthiest Americans and use the additional tax revenues that are generated to invest in infrastructure and research. "Invest" is the right word. Putting money into infrastructure — such as roads, bridges, broadband, the smart grid and public transit — as well as carefully chosen research initiatives provides a foundation for future growth. As important, it puts funds in the hands of those who will spend them, generating demand that will pull us out of our economic crisis and toward a new cycle of growth.

No one particularly enjoys paying taxes, but one lesson we should have learned by now is that for the good of the country, we need to tax people like me more. At a minimum, we need to return to the tax rates of the Clinton era, when the economy performed far better. Simply taxing the wealthiest 2% of Americans at the same rates they were taxed before the Bush tax cuts could reduce the national deficit by $700 billion over the next 10 years. Remember, paying slightly more in personal income taxes won't change my investment choices at all, and I don't think a higher tax rate will change the investment decisions of most other high earners.

What will change my investment decisions is if I see an economy doing better, one in which there is demand for the goods and services my investments produce. I am far more likely to invest if I see a country laying the foundation for future growth. In order to get there, we first need to let the Bush-era tax cuts for the upper 2% lapse. It is time to tax me more.
 
Europe has single payer....Australia has a single payer...Taiwan has single payer etc.
that are paid for in most cases by a Value Added Tax. You can also buy private insurance and your employer can offer same as part of the benefit package. Nobody falls between the cracks like folks in the U.S. The small government, no tax -tea baggers who are 65+ would go beserk if you took away their Medicare. Public schools
are socialistic institutions. You pay for people who have kids although you don't have
any etc. Our government is set up for it because we've been covering 40 million
old folks under the socialist type Medicare system since 1965. Sub-sahara Africa
has the type of system you envision. No pay no care because no insurance. Capitalist
loving Switzerland has a national health insurance scheme that covers all its citizens.

Did you even read what I wrote? The problem that I have with single payer is that it violates my rights, not that I don't want people to have health care.

You say that public schools are socialistic institutions. I agree. My point is that the government is decreasing education spending because it can, and that such is likely to happen under socialized health care. So what exactly are you arguing with there?

First, it's really disingenious to compare a TV with getting cancer. Secondly, you pay for people's police protection even if they live in an usafe area. You pay their attorney's fees even if they've confessed and are guilty. They've committed the crime, and yet you give them an attorney. We do it because we realize that while no one wants to pay for an attorney to defend a murderer, the overall good to society that we get from providing such services is greater than the expenses we may waste providing a service to someone who is at fault.

You're right, comparing a tv and cancer are not the same thing. However, I think you understood my point, which I couldn't think of a better metaphor for. You're also correct that I pay for police services for people that live in bad areas, but that is still a protection against a one person to the other type situation. Your example of the attorney for a person who has confessed to murder is a good one, except for the fact that the public defender is rarely the highest caliber lawyer available. If we go to a single payer health system, everyone will get the same access to health care, and that access won't be very good because both the government and its constituents won't want to pay for it.

I'm not against having everyone in the country insured. I think it's a great idea. What I'm against is having all of the money, and thus all of the control, in one place. I don't see how the system of private insurance for everyone supplemented by government funding where appropriate that we're moving towards right now is inherently worse than a single payer system, which is what I'm arguing against.
 
You're right, comparing a tv and cancer are not the same thing. However, I think you understood my point, which I couldn't think of a better metaphor for. You're also correct that I pay for police services for people that live in bad areas, but that is still a protection against a one person to the other type situation. Your example of the attorney for a person who has confessed to murder is a good one, except for the fact that the public defender is rarely the highest caliber lawyer available. If we go to a single payer health system, everyone will get the same access to health care, and that access won't be very good because both the government and its constituents won't want to pay for it.

Again, the government pays for 46% of healthcare costs in this country already, and people who have medicare are deadset against defunding it. So obviously this is not the case.

I'm not against having everyone in the country insured. I think it's a great idea. What I'm against is having all of the money, and thus all of the control, in one place. I don't see how the system of private insurance for everyone supplemented by government funding where appropriate that we're moving towards right now is inherently worse than a single payer system, which is what I'm arguing against

Because every country with single payor has 100% coverage and every first world country spends half or less per person on their healthcare with comparable outcomes.

The only way you'll bend the cost curve downwards is by single payor.
 
Did you even read what I wrote? The problem that I have with single payer is that it violates my rights, not that I don't want people to have health care.

You say that public schools are socialistic institutions. I agree. My point is that the government is decreasing education spending because it can, and that such is likely to happen under socialized health care. So what exactly are you arguing with there?



You're right, comparing a tv and cancer are not the same thing. However, I think you understood my point, which I couldn't think of a better metaphor for. You're also correct that I pay for police services for people that live in bad areas, but that is still a protection against a one person to the other type situation. Your example of the attorney for a person who has confessed to murder is a good one, except for the fact that the public defender is rarely the highest caliber lawyer available. If we go to a single payer health system, everyone will get the same access to health care, and that access won't be very good because both the government and its constituents won't want to pay for it.

I'm not against having everyone in the country insured. I think it's a great idea. What I'm against is having all of the money, and thus all of the control, in one place. I don't see how the system of private insurance for everyone supplemented by government funding where appropriate that we're moving towards right now is inherently worse than a single payer system, which is what I'm arguing against.
Today's insurance companies are merely conduits for payment of medical bills. They
apparently take 30% off the top for their administrative costs. Single-payer schemes
as well as Medicare perform the same functions. A single-payer system will not focus on denying claims etc. The private carriers are in business to make a profit. They collect premiums and work like hell to deny claims because this translates
to higher numbers on their bottom line. Docs will still do what they've been doing,
but now the claim forms and payments will be sent to one entity for payment.
Obviously, you can say I don't want to accept patients under this plan and only
deliver services to folks who pay on delivery. Remember this is how folks in
cosmetic plastic business run their shop. You can do the same as an internist etc.
The single-payer doesn't leave people out in the cold. Obamacare is trying to bridge
the gap but teabagger types and other true-believers want to kill the plan. I'm
watching with glee to see if the same faction attacks Medicare. It's interesting to
note that 70% of the Federal budget is spent on medicare, social security and defense and let's seem them reign in spending without dismantling those program.
I'm afraid the no-nothing party has again come on the scene
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Again, the government pays for 46% of healthcare costs in this country already, and people who have medicare are deadset against defunding it. So obviously this is not the case.



Because every country with single payor has 100% coverage and every first world country spends half or less per person on their healthcare with comparable outcomes.

The only way you'll bend the cost curve downwards is by single payor.

I'm really confused. You're saying that by taking over the other 54% of costs, we're going to reduce expenditures? Unless you think that 54% of all health care costs in the country are unnecessary, I would have to disagree with you on that one.

The only thing that I can assume you mean is that the government, throught the act of taking over, will make everything more efficient. If that's the case, I'd have to say I don't believe it, and reference the large bureaucratic nightmare that is every government program funded through the OMB or legislative decree.
 
Today's insurance companies are merely conduits for payment of medical bills. They
apparently take 30% off the top for their administrative costs. Single-payer schemes
as well as Medicare perform the same functions. A single-payer system will not focus on denying claims etc. The private carriers are in business to make a profit. They collect premiums and work like hell to deny claims because this translates
to higher numbers on their bottom line. Docs will still do what they've been doing,
but now the claim forms and payments will be sent to one entity for payment.
Obviously, you can say I don't want to accept patients under this plan and only
deliver services to folks who pay on delivery. Remember this is how folks in
cosmetic plastic business run their shop. You can do the same as an internist etc.
The single-payer doesn't leave people out in the cold. Obamacare is trying to bridge
the gap but teabagger types and other true-believers want to kill the plan. I'm
watching with glee to see if the same faction attacks Medicare. It's interesting to
note that 70% of the Federal budget is spent on medicare, social security and defense and let's seem them reign in spending without dismantling those program.
I'm afraid the no-nothing party has again come on the scene

Why would a single payer system not work to deny claims? The government is motivated by money issues in much the same way that companies are, except for the fact that instead of answering to investors, it answers to constituents. The idea that you could deny patients under a government funded system is pretty ridiculous as well. All you have to do is look at the government's current propensity for using Medicare funding as a lever to get hospitals to accept EMTALA, and you can see how I would be unconvinced that they wouldn't do the same under a single payer system. My opinion is that you would get something along the lines of, "If you see one of our patients, you must see them all," (which is exactly what EMTALA currently is) except everyone will be under the same system.

Also, I wish you would stop using the term 'tea-bagger.' Its a pretty insulting attack on people who have legitimate opinions about the way that the country should be run, and it completely denigrates the original people involved in the Boston Tea Party, to whom you owe a great deal of respect for us to be even able to have this conversation.
 
Why would a single payer system not work to deny claims? The government is motivated by money issues in much the same way that companies are, except for the fact that instead of answering to investors, it answers to constituents. The idea that you could deny patients under a government funded system is pretty ridiculous as well. All you have to do is look at the government's current propensity for using Medicare funding as a lever to get hospitals to accept EMTALA, and you can see how I would be unconvinced that they wouldn't do the same under a single payer system. My opinion is that you would get something along the lines of, "If you see one of our patients, you must see them all," (which is exactly what EMTALA currently is) except everyone will be under the same system.

Also, I wish you would stop using the term 'tea-bagger.' Its a pretty insulting attack on people who have legitimate opinions about the way that the country should be run, and it completely denigrates the original people involved in the Boston Tea Party, to whom you owe a great deal of respect for us to be even able to have this conversation.
Oh come now. The current tea-bagges.. oops tea advocates want less government
and reduced taxes, but ask the old guys if they would take a hit on social security
and medicare and gun totters if they would dismantle the war machine for a local militia. That's 70% of the budget. I'm sure they're good folks, but Main Street
Disneyland is part of an amusement park. This group and the folks in 18th century Boston don't share the same smarts. Now it's show biz with a $100,000 per speech
Barbie leading the parade.
 
I'm really confused. You're saying that by taking over the other 54% of costs, we're going to reduce expenditures? Unless you think that 54% of all health care costs in the country are unnecessary, I would have to disagree with you on that one. .
You pay for thay 54%. Either through your employer or directly to insurance companies. That money, if paid via taxes to the government, would go a lot further.


The only thing that I can assume you mean is that the government, throught the act of taking over, will make everything more efficient. If that's the case, I'd have to say I don't believe it, and reference the large bureaucratic nightmare that is every government program funded through the OMB or legislative decree

Let's see, if only we had a government insurance plan to compare like.....medicare? With less overhead and beurocractic costs than insurance companies?


Or...maybe government healthcare in every other first world country?
 
Astarael, you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Aside from the stupidity of your arguments against willingness to increase health and welfare spending (which the majority of the public tends to support, despite corporate propaganda), especially the vile and laughable argument that the poor gaming the system will draining government resources, your argument in favor of innovation is likewise vacuous.

Capitalists on their own will not invest the necessary resources into research to produce new technologies (note the difference between adapting technologies for market usage and profiting versus development). The vast majority of significant technological advances in our last 50 (easily more) years of development have been driven by government (i.e. public) investment in technologies that often take years to become commericially viable. Intellectual property laws then allow business to profit from these advances. The risks of innovation are subsidized by the public while the profit is privatized (e.g. internet, computers, airplanes, etc, etc).
 
Is innovation driven by goverment (public) subsidy?
In summary:

A good illustration of how the market system really operates compared to the ideological propaganda is provided by Greenspan, who in 1998 gave a talk to newspaper editors in the US called the "Ascendance of Market Capitalism" where he spoke about the miracles of the free market, the wonders that the consumer choice of markets provide and so on. He in particular namedropped technologies that have created a "revolution" in the last half of the 20th century, namely lasers, satellites, transistors, the internet, computers, and information processing. You don't actually need to point much of this hypocrisy out, most people already know that these came straight from the state sector, not only the funding but the creative R&D. The internet alone spent roughly three decades in the public sector, first in the Pentagon and then later the NSF.

Out of all the examples, the only noteworthy exception is transistors which came from a private laboratory, Bell Telephone Laboratory of AT&T (which also did other significant research). However if you examine it more closely, it tells a different story. AT&T was in effect granted a monopoly by the government (which tells you something about the consumer choice involved), the market had no role in it. The consumer of this invention was of course the government for about a decade to prop up the research. Western Electric was producing hundreds of thousands of transistors at the end of the 1950s, but solely for the military applications. Government procurement provided entrepreneurial initiatives and guided the development of the technology, which could then be disseminated to industry.

Major past examples:

The Logic of International Restructuring by Winfried Ruigrock and Rob Van Tulder
[O]ver the 1950s and 1960s, the Pentagon paid more than one-third of I.B.M.'s R&D budget. The Pentagon moreover acted as a "lead user" to I.B.M., providing the company with scale economies and vital feedback on how to improve its computers. In the 1950s, the Pentagon took care of half of I.B.M.'s revenues, enabling it to move abroad and flood foreign markets with competitively priced mainframe computers. Thus, I.B.M.'s defense contracts cross-subsidised its civilian activities at home and abroad, and helped it to establish a near monopoly position throughout most of the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. Along similar lines, all formerly and/or currently leading U.S. computers, semiconductors and electronics makers in the 1993 Fortune 100 have benefited tremendously from preferential defense contracts. . . . In this manner, Pentagon cost-plus contracts functioned as a de facto industrial policy.

The same mechanism can be observed in the aerospace industry. In the 1950s, for instance, Boeing could make use of government-owned B-52 construction facilities to produce its B-707 model, providing the basis of its market dominance in large civilian aircraft.Even in 1994, without any major actual or imminent wars, ten to fourteen firms ranked in the 1993 Fortune 100 still [conducted] at least 10 per cent of their business in closed defence markets.
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (N.A.S.A.) has often played a role comparable to the Pentagon. . . . [G]overnment policies, in particular defence programmes, have been an overwhelming force in shaping the strategies and competitiveness of the world's largest firms.
​
Forces of Production: A Social History of Industrial Automation by David F. Noble
Between 1945 and 1968, the Department of Defense industrial system had supplied $44 billion of goods and services, exceeding the combined net sales of General Motors, General Electric, Du Pont, and U.S. Steel. . . . By 1964, 90 percent of the research and development for the aircraft industry was being underwritten by the government, particularly the Air Force. . . . In 1964, two-thirds of the research and development costs in the electrical equipment industry (e.g., those of G.E., Westinghouse, R.C.A., Raytheon, A.T.&T., Philco, I.B.M., Sperry Rand) were still paid for by the government.
​

Government funding continues to drive innovation. Another good example is Reagan's Star Wars program.

More recently, massive tech subsidies through DARPA, billions in biomedical research by the NIH, etc. Not only is massive public funding directly channeled to private companies, often in an enviroment of limited competition, but technologies produced by publical funding at universities are often transferred to the private sector.
​
 
But a lot of what health care pays for is not what one person does to another in an uncontrolled way, but the stupid things a person does to themselves. I don't want to pay to take care of the aftermath of the poor decisions another person made. For instance, take a person who has lung cancer due to smoking. Smoking was a stupid decision, and it resulted in an expensive health problem. That wasn't my problem, because I never decided to smoke, and never decided that the other person should smoke either. Yet socialized health care says that I still have to pay for it. Now tell me, how does that make sense? If you destroy your tv in a fit of rage, should I pay for that as well?

What a lot of healthcare pays for is old people who are old. If you have a better idea how to pay for the care of the elderly, please speak up.
 
Astral: As a pre-med - taxpayers who don't know you will help subsidize
your medical education, school loans, residency and essentially the whole
enchilada so you can selectively choose whom you want to treat. The
question being WHY SHOULD WE? Dig deep into your bottomless pockets
and pay your own way and get off the dole. Even in private med schools
you're being subsidized because they're non-profits so they don't pay
taxes, Federal research monies generates an income stream for the
school etc. Lots of muddled thinking with a dollop of half-baked Ayn Rand.
 
Astral: As a pre-med - taxpayers who don't know you will help subsidize
your medical education, school loans, residency and essentially the whole
enchilada so you can selectively choose whom you want to treat. The
question being WHY SHOULD WE? Dig deep into your bottomless pockets
and pay your own way and get off the dole. Even in private med schools
you're being subsidized because they're non-profits so they don't pay
taxes, Federal research monies generates an income stream for the
school etc. Lots of muddled thinking with a dollop of half-baked Ayn Rand.

Yes, taxpayers like all the welfare queens and coke dealers are contributing their heard earned money towards medical education. :laugh:

Care to inform us exactly what percentage of the population pays 95% of the taxes and what percent pays nothing?

Obama is giving you a round of applause...
 
Can you give examples of these welfare queens? I grew up in the ghetto and I don't recall any of my neighbors living large off the public dole. It seems like that's another one of the Reagan era fantasies designed for people whose experience with poor people is limited to the one night a year they happen to stumble upon someone begging for change at a stop light.
 
Can you give examples of these welfare queens? I grew up in the ghetto and I don't recall any of my neighbors living large off the public dole. It seems like that's another one of the Reagan era fantasies designed for people whose experience with poor people is limited to the one night a year they happen to stumble upon someone begging for change at a stop light.

If you are on welfare you should NOT have a car, should NOT have a cell phone, should NOT be wearing brand new shoes, should NOT be wearing ANY jewelry or "grills", should NOT be wearing anything other than Goodwill clothing, and should not be eating ANYTHING other than bread and water.

You never even answered my previous question I posed.
 
Care to inform us exactly what percentage of the population pays 95% of the taxes and what percent pays nothing?

This one? Yea, of course they do. They need to pay more. In absolute terms, it's a lot of course but as a percentage of their income, they are not paying nearly enough.
 
Can you give examples of these welfare queens? I grew up in the ghetto and I don't recall any of my neighbors living large off the public dole. It seems like that's another one of the Reagan era fantasies designed for people whose experience with poor people is limited to the one night a year they happen to stumble upon someone begging for change at a stop light.

And if anyone begs for CHANGE I'll ask them about OBAMA... :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, taxpayers like all the welfare queens and coke dealers are contributing their heard earned money towards medical education. :laugh:

Care to inform us exactly what percentage of the population pays 95% of the taxes and what percent pays nothing?

Obama is giving you a round of applause...

Sadly a lot of the posters look at medicine as the equivalent of being a
car salesman. If you have money for wheels fine, if you don't walk. The
nobility of the profession revolves around the fact that you treat the sick
and the injury regardless of their ability to pay. It appears that the practice of medicine is merely viewed as another commercial activity and you get to wear a white coat rather than a silk suit. I seriously doubt that the aspiring pre-med even under Obamacare or Single Payer will be unable to pay for the Rolex that peaks out beneath the sleeve of their white coat.

There is essentially three options: the current insurance system that's
dependent on paying $1200 per month for family coverage although you
may only net $1500, if you're employed in a $15 per hour job and are
not on welfare or selling crack, Obamacare, or Single Payer that works well for the 40 million covered by Medicare and the other couple hundred million in Europe. The current system doesn't work except if an employer picks up the insurance tab (quickly disappearing) or you have deep pockets like Astarael et. al. who can pay the Internist or Surgeon when he's sick and injured the same way Beverly Hill Matrons pay for tummy tucks with a credit card. Come on boys/girls get real. Times are a changin
 
Sadly a lot of the posters look at medicine as the equivalent of being a
car salesman. If you have money for wheels fine, if you don't walk. The
nobility of the profession revolves around the fact that you treat the sick
and the injury regardless of their ability to pay. It appears that the practice of medicine is merely viewed as another commercial activity and you get to wear a white coat rather than a silk suit. I seriously doubt that the aspiring pre-med even under Obamacare or Single Payer will be unable to pay for the Rolex that peaks out beneath the sleeve of their white coat.

There is essentially three options: the current insurance system that's
dependent on paying $1200 per month for family coverage although you
may only net $1500, if you're employed in a $15 per hour job and are
not on welfare or selling crack, Obamacare, or Single Payer that works well for the 40 million covered by Medicare and the other couple hundred million in Europe. The current system doesn't work except if an employer picks up the insurance tab (quickly disappearing) or you have deep pockets like Astarael et. al. who can pay the Internist or Surgeon when he's sick and injured the same way Beverly Hill Matrons pay for tummy tucks with a credit card. Come on boys/girls get real. Times are a changin

Still didn't answer the question. Use facts and less name calling (Remuneration).
 
I'm going to try to keep my responses short, so that this doesn't turn into a book. Before I begin, I would like to say that I believe all of you have a right to have a different opinion to mine, and while I respect that right, I disagree with your opinion on the subject. I am merely trying to put forth an argument for a differing viewpoint. By some of your comments, it seems that you think my viewpoint makes me a bad person. If I am correct in that assumption, let me know, because then I have no further desire to engage in discussion with you. I hope, however, that I am incorrect and you respect my right to my opinion. If such is the case, let us continue to argue (I guarantee we'll all benefit from it when interviews come around).




Is innovation driven by goverment (public) subsidy?
In summary:



Major past examples:



Government funding continues to drive innovation. Another good example is Reagan's Star Wars program.

More recently, massive tech subsidies through DARPA, billions in biomedical research by the NIH, etc. Not only is massive public funding directly channeled to private companies, often in an enviroment of limited competition, but technologies produced by publical funding at universities are often transferred to the private sector.
​

While I agree that significant funding comes from the public sector, what you just cited was a list of privately held businesses. I don't feel that this supports your claim that my argument to innovation is vacuous, because under a single payer system, the government would not be subsidizing the business, it would be the business's only customer. That distinction is very important.

What a lot of healthcare pays for is old people who are old. If you have a better idea how to pay for the care of the elderly, please speak up.

I do not think that all health care should be dropped for the elderly. However, given the amount spent on futile treatment and our current understanding of the benefit (or lack thereof) to both the family and the patient, I think a lot of funding could be dropped from this area and put towards more useful things, such as insuring people who are poor. Not quite sure why we spend billions of dollars extending the lives of elderly people by a couple of months to the detriment of their families and don't provide anything for the lower middle class, but there it is. Hopefully that will change with the new health care bill.

Astral: As a pre-med - taxpayers who don't know you will help subsidize
your medical education, school loans, residency and essentially the whole
enchilada so you can selectively choose whom you want to treat. The
question being WHY SHOULD WE? Dig deep into your bottomless pockets
and pay your own way and get off the dole. Even in private med schools
you're being subsidized because they're non-profits so they don't pay
taxes, Federal research monies generates an income stream for the
school etc. Lots of muddled thinking with a dollop of half-baked Ayn Rand.

I'm not saying that I've never received the benefit of taxpayer's money, and I'm grateful for what I've received. However, for a person like me, receiving aid is a huge incentive for me to give back to my community. For many of your 2 pack a day smokers, receiving aid is an excuse to keep smoking. I also think you're vastly overestimating the cost/benefit ratio for a person going into medical school. You are correct, as a resident, Medicare pays your salary. On the other hand, you provide health care to the population at a rate of around $15 an hour. I'd say Medicare is getting a good deal out of that equation.

This one? Yea, of course they do. They need to pay more. In absolute terms, it's a lot of course but as a percentage of their income, they are not paying nearly enough.

Why should a person who has a lot of money be made to pay a higher percentage of their income? That's not really fair, and while I agree that there would be no feasible way to drop income tax to a flat percentage, I differ from you in one way: I am grateful that they pay so much to make our country continue to work. The lack of gratitude is kind of ridiculous - no one is entitled to the money of a wealthy person, and yet it is given anyway. We should all be saying "thank you," instead of, "you should be paying more."

Get out, you ignorant, classist scum.

In what way was that necessary? We were having a pleasant, albeit heated debate. I enjoy that, what I don't enjoy are personal attacks, even when they're not against me.