Health Care Reform

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You still didn't aswer the question.

Without looking it up, I would guess around top 20% pay 95% of tax. I know that top 1% pay about 40% of the tax (more than the bottom 95% combined).

It's not enough, in percentage of their income terms.

Members don't see this ad.

Sadly a lot of the posters look at medicine as the equivalent of being a
car salesman. If you have money for wheels fine, if you don't walk. The
nobility of the profession revolves around the fact that you treat the sick
and the injury regardless of their ability to pay. It appears that the practice of medicine is merely viewed as another commercial activity and you get to wear a white coat rather than a silk suit. I seriously doubt that the aspiring pre-med even under Obamacare or Single Payer will be unable to pay for the Rolex that peaks out beneath the sleeve of their white coat.

There is essentially three options: the current insurance system that's
dependent on paying $1200 per month for family coverage although you
may only net $1500, if you're employed in a $15 per hour job and are
not on welfare or selling crack, Obamacare, or Single Payer that works well for the 40 million covered by Medicare and the other couple hundred million in Europe. The current system doesn't work except if an employer picks up the insurance tab (quickly disappearing) or you have deep pockets like Astarael et. al. who can pay the Internist or Surgeon when he's sick and injured the same way Beverly Hill Matrons pay for tummy tucks with a credit card. Come on boys/girls get real. Times are a changin

Let me get this out of the way quickly: I am not rich. My family has struggled financially for the entire time I've been alive, and my opinions are not motivated by love of money but by my belief that there is a system that takes the best facets of both capitalistic and socialized health care and blends them for the benefit of the patient. I agree with you that parts of our health care system were broken before, but no matter how much you want it not to be true, medical care is a scarce resource just like every other resource we have. Your goal, and mine as well as future doctors is to figure out a way to allocate that scarce resource to the best benefit of everyone. I understand why you are of the opinion that immediately putting everyone under a government run health system would be for the best - because everyone would be covered immediately. My argument is that there are other costs associate with such a decision: costs that affect innovation, and other parts of our economy, that will end in a net negative towards patient care. I will say it again: I don't disagree that everyone should have access to health care of some kind. But at what point do you draw the line? I just read an article posted by another SDN member on this forum about a new cancer treatment that costs $93,000 a pop for 4 months extra time, on average. My question to you is, how is that sustainable? We have a multi-trillion dollar deficit. We cannot continue to spend more than we make, and I think that doing something like completely socializing health care would push us in the wrong direction there.

One other point: Medicare is not a single payer entity. Single payer is when your economy has one consumer of health care resources. Ours doesn't: we have government programs like Medicare and Medicaid, and we have private programs like insurance companies. Our health care market currently has competition in it, and it is not a true statement to say that Medicare for 1/6 of our population will work the same for the entire population.

Many insurance companies follow medicare. Insurance companies are certainly not 'competing against' medicare, so it really is a single payor system for people over 65.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I agree that significant funding comes from the public sector, what you just cited was a list of privately held businesses. I don't feel that this supports your claim that my argument to innovation is vacuous, because under a single payer system, the government would not be subsidizing the business, it would be the business's only customer. That distinction is very important.
This distinction is meaningless in the context of your post. You imply that a single payer (government payer) system would stifle innovation. I provide data supporting the conclusion that innovation is driven by government spending. Government spending permits innovation which is then introduced to the market. The distinction largely does NOT arise until government subsidy has made a technology commercially viable.

I do not think that all health care should be dropped for the elderly. However, given the amount spent on futile treatment and our current understanding of the benefit (or lack thereof) to both the family and the patient, I think a lot of funding could be dropped from this area and put towards more useful things, such as insuring people who are poor. Not quite sure why we spend billions of dollars extending the lives of elderly people by a couple of months to the detriment of their families and don't provide anything for the lower middle class, but there it is. Hopefully that will change with the new health care bill.

You'd think all this informed oppostion would know what quality adjusted life years are, and their importance in managing the costs of socialized medicine.

Why should a person who has a lot of money be made to pay a higher percentage of their income? That's not really fair, and while I agree that there would be no feasible way to drop income tax to a flat percentage, I differ from you in one way: I am grateful that they pay so much to make our country continue to work. The lack of gratitude is kind of ridiculous - no one is entitled to the money of a wealthy person, and yet it is given anyway. We should all be saying "thank you," instead of, "you should be paying more."

You continue to be clueless, big surprise. Despite the grandiose delusions of the rich, their wealth is not self-made. It is often a matter of circumstance, matter of the exploitation of the environment and their fellow man, and the permissive environment provided by society. Our wealthy owe far more to society, because far greater societal resources are utilized to permit, secure, and perpetuate their wealth.

Furthermore, wealth has marginal utility. Despite a larger percentage of total wealth taxed, and a considerably higher gross value, the quality of life experienced is far, far, far, ..., far, far, far less impacted by reduction in wealth resulting from taxation.

Aside from the exploitative means by which wealth is often acquired, its marginal value, etc, the use of money of the classes differs significantly. The majority of the lower classes incomes are immediately funneled back into the economy, stimulating production. If a sufficient percentage of the population cannot afford the goods and services its economy produces, there will be collapse.

In what way was that necessary? We were having a pleasant, albeit heated debate. I enjoy that, what I don't enjoy are personal attacks, even when they're not against me.

A pleasant debate is implying the plight of the poor is the result of their own personal failings? Nice. To suggest that a redistribution of social services (wealth) to the poor is unjust and unfair to the rich is laughable. Anyone who would suggest such is overwhemingly ignorant of history or a despicable con.

Let me get this out of the way quickly: I am not rich. My family has struggled financially for the entire time I've been alive, and my opinions are not motivated by love of money but by my belief that there is a system that takes the best facets of both capitalistic and socialized health care and blends them for the benefit of the patient. I agree with you that parts of our health care system were broken before, but no matter how much you want it not to be true, medical care is a scarce resource just like every other resource we have. Your goal, and mine as well as future doctors is to figure out a way to allocate that scarce resource to the best benefit of everyone. I understand why you are of the opinion that immediately putting everyone under a government run health system would be for the best - because everyone would be covered immediately. My argument is that there are other costs associate with such a decision: costs that affect innovation, and other parts of our economy, that will end in a net negative towards patient care. I will say it again: I don't disagree that everyone should have access to health care of some kind. But at what point do you draw the line? I just read an article posted by another SDN member on this forum about a new cancer treatment that costs $93,000 a pop for 4 months extra time, on average. My question to you is, how is that sustainable? We have a multi-trillion dollar deficit. We cannot continue to spend more than we make, and I think that doing something like completely socializing health care would push us in the wrong direction there.

One other point: Medicare is not a single payer entity. Single payer is when your economy has one consumer of health care resources. Ours doesn't: we have government programs like Medicare and Medicaid, and we have private programs like insurance companies. Our health care market currently has competition in it, and it is not a true statement to say that Medicare for 1/6 of our population will work the same for the entire population.
Germany, England among others offer a plain vanilla single payer system to its
citizens. They can also buy private insurance or their employer can offer same for the
additional bells and whistle to cover every single health contingency from womb to tomb including the magic cure for whatever. The bottom line being that ALL their
citizens have basic health care. We don't and that's troubling. We spend trillions for
an expensive defense apparatus to protect our citizens. but we short-change them on
the most basic service a rich country can offer its taxpayers. The present system
ain't working so Obamacare is an approach to address the problem. Hopefully, it
will embraced just like old tea baggers embrace Medicare. "Remember the guy
who said - get government out of my Medicare." I think we wasted bigger bucks on
education that "educated" a very large number of non-thinkers in this country and
unfortunately they have the right to vote.

Care to inform us exactly what percentage of the population pays 95% of the taxes and what percent pays nothing?

What taxes are you referring to? Federal income tax? Payroll taxes? State income tax? Property taxes? Sales taxes?

I'm bailing out of this thread. Folks should read an objective assessment of
different health care systems titled "The Healing of America" by T.R. Reid
and also investigate our VA health care system. Reid is not a disciple of Glenn
Beck, Rush Limbaugh or Ayn Rand but he does provide an objective look at what's happening health care wise in other countries. We definitely have a balkanized nation and unfortunately it's crept into the thinking of prospective
Docs who should be compassionately inclined. Universal health care is a hell
of a lot cheaper than the arsenal that we've built and continue to expand and
poor folk, welfare queens, crack addicts are also humans and citizens who
should receive compassionate care regardless of their net worth and social
standing.

I'm bailing out of this thread. Folks should read an objective assessment of
different health care systems titled "The Healing of America" by T.R. Reid
and also investigate our VA health care system. Reid is not a disciple of Glenn
Beck, Rush Limbaugh or Ayn Rand but he does provide an objective look at what's happening health care wise in other countries. We definitely have a balkanized nation and unfortunately it's crept into the thinking of prospective
Docs who should be compassionately inclined. Universal health care is a hell
of a lot cheaper than the arsenal that we've built and continue to expand and
poor folk, welfare queens, crack addicts are also humans and citizens who
should receive compassionate care regardless of their net worth and social
standing.

I enjoyed your contribution yo!

Just wondering, if USA reduced their spending on the military (which in my opinion is FAR too much), would it ease the strain on the potential high healthcare costs?