Health Management and Policy Unpopular?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringDoctor9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hihi guys,

For some reason, I noticed that not many people here discuss management and policy as a subtrack in this forum. Do all of you want to use this as a stepping stone to medical school and think something like epidemiology will be better? I see tons of people talking about epi and community health... I'm curious - because it seems like nobody ever talks about HM&P. Why is this?

Members don't see this ad.

My goal is to get a phd in health policy or maybe sociomedicine. i think the reason why more people dont discuss health policy, partly has to do with what you said about the mph as a stepping stone, Im leaning towards policy because I've been a nurse for 10+ years, and i think experience and an indepth knowledge help alot with policy to understand healthcare and much less want to change it. I was in South carolina last week, and it amazes you how everyone has different policies, there were 2 others in the class from other parts of the country, saying the same thing. And plus policy is so broad.

AspiringDoctor9 said:
Hihi guys,

For some reason, I noticed that not many people here discuss management and policy as a subtrack in this forum. Do all of you want to use this as a stepping stone to medical school and think something like epidemiology will be better? I see tons of people talking about epi and community health... I'm curious - because it seems like nobody ever talks about HM&P. Why is this?

I recently graduated from a MPH program and I didn't know of any people who were in HMP who were using it on the way to medical school, unless they were already in medical school, and even then most were in the MD/MBA program. Most of the people I knew in HMP were thinking of it as more of a terminal degree, or something else on their way to a JD, a MBA, or even Public Policy.
I'm not sure if this answers your question, but that's how it was at my school.

Members don't see this ad :)
thirdangel said:
I recently graduated from a MPH program and I didn't know of any people who were in HMP who were using it on the way to medical school, unless they were already in medical school, and even then most were in the MD/MBA program. Most of the people I knew in HMP were thinking of it as more of a terminal degree, or something else on their way to a JD, a MBA, or even Public Policy.
I'm not sure if this answers your question, but that's how it was at my school.

Hi ThirdAngel,

Where did you go, and what did you think of your experiences there? Also, what was your subtrack?

AspiringDoctor9 said:
Hihi guys,

My wife's MPH is in Health Policy and Administration. She is employed as an administrator at a very large academic medical center. She was hired, in part, for her MPH. They also loved her capstone work on JCAHO's ORYX measures.

- H

i am doing a Health policy and management degree at NYU graduating with a MPA (not MPH) and have gotten accepted to a medical school. im going to use policy in my future career as a physician.