Health Professions Scholarship for Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Army Captain

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am the Army Health Professions Scholarship representative for the Pennsylvania College of Optometry. Have you considered the Health Professions Scholarship (HPSP)? The HPSP provides FULL tuition, books, related educational expenses, and a generous stipend of all $16,000 per year for those students who are selected to receive the scholarship. If you need additional information, please do not hesitate to schedule a meeting with me to discuss the opportunity that is available to you. Last year, I had two students apply for the scholarship and both were selected to receive the scholarship. I could also refer you to them, if you have additional questions.

Members don't see this ad.

You've got a PM, Cap'n. :)

HenryH said:
You've got a PM, Cap'n. :)

Hey if you have questions you can also ask me too. I'm a 4 year Army HPSP recipient.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have any questions regarding life as an Optometrist on active duty, please PM or reply. I have been on active duty for just over ten years and have just arrived at my sixth duty station.

Bryan

Would being prior military or current reservist help your application in any way? I’m trying to get into Optometry school (I’m a prior Corpsman that’s going to be re-enlisting after a 12 year break in service)

Would being prior military or current reservist help your application in any way? I’m trying to get into Optometry school (I’m a prior Corpsman that’s going to be re-enlisting after a 12 year break in service)

For the Army, the HPSP Selection Board uses the "total person" concept. Meaning that rather than just looking at your undergrad GPA and extracurriculars, they also consider things like prior service, letters of recommendation, personal statements and such. While I cannot speak for the other Services, I'll bet if you were to ask, they would say the something along the same line.

Yes, it would be looked on positively as long as you don't have anything bad in your records. The obligation for the HPSP is 4 years at that point you would be at 16 I am guessing you would finish up the last 4 to get a retirement and they would be thinking the same thing. Right there makes you more competitive then someone just coming in for the money. PS-I am a Army Healthcare recruiter, feel free to PM me.