Heart Failure - Michael Greger, M.D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaseratiGT

Legilimens!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

So, I am currently reading the book "Heart Failure" by Dr. Michael Greger. It has been a fascinating read so far, although I do sometimes wonder how much embellishment Dr. Greger has thrown in.

For those of you who have not read the book, it's about a third year student and his escapades through different clerkships on his way to his degree. However, it seems that everywhere Dr. G turns, so do his nightmares of being an inexperienced clinical student. He describes the antithesis of what I think learning should be - i.e. attendings berating the third years, racism in medicine, etc.

So, the point of discussion - to all of you who have been past your third year rotations; what was the atmosphere like between podiatry students? Other departments? If you know know other student that went through different programs, how, from your knowledge, did it compare to yours?

I would love to assume that Dr. G's experiences are part of a very small minority, and I do feel like there is more comradeship between podiatrists. What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Folks,

So, I am currently reading the book "Heart Failure" by Dr. Michael Greger. It has been a fascinating read so far, although I do sometimes wonder how much embellishment Dr. Greger has thrown in...
This is a pretty good book; I read it way back as a freshman in undergrad back when it was still called Internal Combustion. The Greger guy seems to have a bit of a bad attitude and bias, and I don't even know if he practices now. Don't get me wrong... it's still a good read and everyone is entitled to his opinion... free online BTW:
http://upalumni.org/medschool/

A much much much better book IMO is House of God by Shem; it's about the "tern" (intern) year at "the House" (Deaconess - a Harvard teaching hospital). It's 20+yrs old, so you should be able to score it for $5 on half or amazon (movie is terrible, though... don't waste your time). It paints the same general picture that medicine is not all of the glory, prestige, and do-gooder stuff we see on TV. However, this book is a lot more witty and will keep you laughing; shrinks write the best books (full of sex too). It's a page turner that you'll get into and finish in a couple days, and the funniest part is that you will draw laughs when you quote the "House Laws" to an in-the-know attending or resident (gomers go to ground, NPC specialties, etc).

...So, the point of discussion - to all of you who have been past your third year rotations; what was the atmosphere like between podiatry students? Other departments? If you know know other student that went through different programs, how, from your knowledge, did it compare to yours?

I would love to assume that Dr. G's experiences are part of a very small minority, and I do feel like there is more comradeship between podiatrists. What are your thoughts?
Your question about pod student knowledge compared to MD/DO students entirely depends on the individuals. I think that my school has some of the best clinic and hospital rotations among pod programs, and I also think we stack up pretty well. We rotate side-by-side with MD, DO, and PA students from UMiami, Nova Southeastern, Barry, and various Carib schools on many rotations. There are also MD and DO attendings and residents from all over the world here.

Even if you can't recall the answers they're asking for during clinic or grand rounds, you'll still usually remember that you were taught it. We have an IM residency director teaching us 2 semesters of IM, a path residency director lecturing for 2 semesters of path, a vet ER doc teaching us ER/trauma, etc, so I can't imagine our lectures were drastically different. If you worked hard in the podiatry program lectures and are assertive in the hospital during external rotations, many of the MD and DO students will respect your knowledge base quite a bit. The attendings will also let you do more and ask you more as you show that you are interested and prepared. Pay attention in your IM, gen surg, ER, path, etc classes, get a good pocketbook for the rotations, and go rep podiatry well :thumbup: