This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaydeedental

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently a second semester sophomore and I feel really overwhelmed about my prospects of dental school. I feel like I am not going to get into dental school with my scores and it is stressing me out. I see many students who have much higher GPAs than I do and I just don't see myself getting in. I want to achieve my dream of being a dentist so badly and will do anything to make it possible.
There is no excuse for my low grades at all either...

Background on me:
TX resident , Currently in OChem 2 and Cell Biology This Semester (plus other non-science classes), Major is Sociology.
1-Sem.Freshman Year oGPA =3.2 , sGPA= 2.50 GPA
2-Sem. Freshman Year oGPA=3.5, s GPA 3.5 GPA
1 Sem Sophomore year oGPA= 3.79 sGPA, 3.63 GPA
total o GPA= 3.568, sGPA =3.32

Please let me know what I can do to make this better. Give me tough love. Please be honest because I want to be a dentist so badly and I am terrified that I screwed up everything for myself.

Sincerely,
Overwhelmed Pre-Dental Student

Members don't see this ad.

Your grades really aren't bad, and on top of that you have plenty of time to improve. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 4 users
I second Sobertiger. You have a lot of opportunity to bring those grade up.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your grades are fine. I had similar, if not worse, and I had 8 pre-december interviews and 5 acceptances. Just do well on the DAT.

You’re doing way better than I was at that time lol you’ll be so fine. Definitely keep up the good grades though and try to do well on the DAT. Don’t let sdn people make you think you need a 4.0 and 25 on your DAT to get into dental school...it’s just not true.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Your grades are trending up and looking good. Keep up this trend and I don't think your grades would be an inhibiting factor for you.

Hello everyone,

I am currently a second semester sophomore and I feel really overwhelmed about my prospects of dental school. I feel like I am not going to get into dental school with my scores and it is stressing me out. I see many students who have much higher GPAs than I do and I just don't see myself getting in. I want to achieve my dream of being a dentist so badly and will do anything to make it possible.
There is no excuse for my low grades at all either...

Background on me:
TX resident , Currently in OChem 2 and Cell Biology This Semester (plus other non-science classes), Major is Sociology.
1-Sem.Freshman Year oGPA =3.2 , sGPA= 2.50 GPA
2-Sem. Freshman Year oGPA=3.5, s GPA 3.5 GPA
1 Sem Sophomore year oGPA= 3.79 sGPA, 3.63 GPA
total o GPA= 3.568, sGPA =3.32

Please let me know what I can do to make this better. Give me tough love. Please be honest because I want to be a dentist so badly and I am terrified that I screwed up everything for myself.

Sincerely,
Overwhelmed Pre-Dental Student

You have 3 semesters to pull that gpa up much higher and you obviously had fun as a freshman. Schools will see the trend and you have nothing to worry about as long as you pull that gpa up and mantain it. Work on the rest of your application now; the volouteering, shadowing, research etc...

Thank you everyone! I appreciate you all for understanding and responding! Will be curious to see where I end up in those 3 semesters!

Thank you everyone! I appreciate you all for understanding and responding! Will be curious to see where I end up in those 3 semesters!

Hey I was in the same boat as you, and was in an even lower position. My oGPA per semester in 1st year was a 3.06 and a 2.72. Meanwhile, my friends had near 4.0 GPA's so it was easy to feel insecure. After that, I reminded myself I was keen on becoming a dentist, and worked hard. And what do you know? I was accepted. I made sure that each semester I would try for a 4.0 without falling below a 3.7, which is what you seem to be doing. Keep up the great work! I agree with the previous sdners that as long as you keep your upward trend, you should be fine.

And just like WolfsBane said, start looking into or focusing on volunteering, shadowing, research, etc. Something I would like to tell you, starting my sophomore/junior year of college, I joined school clubs, and worked my way up to leadership positions in those clubs (two of which I was the president). Alongside, I contacted professors whom I performed well academically in their class, and collaborated with them on these clubs, which then led to stellar recommendations. This can be a good idea for you as well, because I was so insecure of my freshman year grades making my application look bad, but confident that my extracurricular activities and recommendations made up for it.

Keep up the good work and you'll be fine!

Reactions: 1 users
I was in your shoes a couple years ago, constantly looking at SDN and stressing about my prospects of attending dental school. The good news is, your GPA has an upward trend, just as mine did. Your science GPA may not be "above average" but it is not substantially below. I went through the application cycle this year with a 3.6oGPA, a 3.4BCP, and a 3.3sGPA. I applied to 9 schools and received 5 interviews. I don't have any in-state schools, and you do, so your odds are even better! I turned down 1 interview, I am still waiting to hear back from another school, was waitlisted at 1, and accepted to 2 (one of which being my top choice!). I will be putting down my deposit this week. You will get through it, even though at times it seems impossible. Just focus on maintaining your current GPA, and accumulating some shadowing/volunteer hours, and good letters of rec. Best of luck to you!!

Thank you all for all of the hope :) It means so much to me! I will also work on getting some more volunteer hours as well as shadowing hours!