HELP 4.0sGPA, 3.9cGPA, 522 (very unbalanced) MCAT, schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curly7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
High GPA
132/126/132/132 - I've never tanked CARS so badly on a practice exam but somehow this what I ended up with on the real thing. Should I be concerned? Will this bar me from competitive schools?

150 hours clinical volunteering
50 hours non-clinical volunteering
50 hours shadowing
Strong ECs - President of (Sport) Club at University, Vice-President of (Ethnic/Cultural) Club at University
1 summer part-time clinical research, several second and third author abstracts
1 year full-time basic science research with 3 posters and 1 conference talk, several second and third author abstracts
Two university graduation awards (one in the sciences, one in public service)
Several years at an interesting non-profit - very involved, went from working on the ground to a higher position where I spearheaded my own offshoot program
Fulbright Scholarship

Please! Any help with my school list would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

@gyngyn @Goro

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You might look at the JMP program if you are interested in CA schools.
It's a very small program but a pretty good fit. Mayo, too.

That's great! I'm glad you think so. I was definitely considering it but was wondering if I'd be competitive enough with my unbalanced MCAT score.

Despite my less-than-stellar research experience, I do plan on engaging in extensive research with respect to the field that I'm interested in, so I've compiled a preliminary list with plenty of research-heavy reach schools. Would you mind taking a look and maybe adding some mid and low-tier suggestions? Also, how many schools should I apply to ideally?

Thanks for all your help!

Baylor
Columbia
Duke
Johns Hopkins
U Pennsylvania
Stanford
UCSF
UCSD
UCD
UCLA
Mayo
U Chicago - Pritzker
Vanderbilt
Cornell
Yale
Boston
Tufts
State Schools

Of your list, delete Baylor (very hard for OOS). Delete UCD is you're not from CA

Consider all four Manhattan Titans, Keck, Hofstra, Einstein, Emory, Pitt, and Northwestern

Baylor
Columbia
Duke
Johns Hopkins
U Pennsylvania
Stanford
UCSF
UCSD
UCD
UCLA
Mayo
U Chicago - Pritzker
Vanderbilt
Cornell
Yale
Boston
Tufts
State Schools

Of your list, delete Baylor (very hard for OOS). Delete UCD is you're not from CA

Consider all four Manhattan Titans, Keck, Hofstra, Einstein, Emory, Pitt, and Northwestern

Baylor
Columbia
Duke
Johns Hopkins
U Pennsylvania
Stanford
UCSF
UCSD
UCD
UCLA
Mayo
U Chicago - Pritzker
Vanderbilt
Cornell
Yale
Boston
Tufts
State Schools

Thank you for your input! I'm a little ignorant when it comes to this process, so forgive me but what are the four Manhattan Titans?

I'm a little ignorant when it comes to this process, so forgive me but what are the four Manhattan Titans?
What are the four Manhattan MD schools?
132/126/132/132

Sorry curly7, this pretty much writes itself :hilarious:

Personally I think you are fine with your stats, research, and long-term commitment to a non-profit to apply to Goro's updated list. I wouldn't be surprised at multiple interviews.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Sorry curly7, this pretty much writes itself :hilarious:

Personally I think you are fine with your stats, research, and long-term commitment to a non-profit to apply to Goro's updated list. I wouldn't be surprised at multiple interviews.

Haha well you know us neurotic pre-meds... just had to be sure!

Thank you for your help!