HELP!!!Bacteriology vs. Cell Biology which course is better for PreDental????!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ONEGAISHIMASU

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I need help on selecting a course for summer session!!!

Bacteriology vs Cell Biology!?

I don't know which one to take, Bacteriology or Cell Biology!! I just need to take one of them and I can graduate with General Biology degree.

Professor wise both class has similar rating according to ratemyprofessors. I heard that Cell Biology is a bit more difficult.

Which class looks better for Dental School application? Bacteriology or Cell Biology?

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP >_<

Members don't see this ad.

Both are good, but IMHO I would take Cell Biology (thats on the DAT)

Never go by ratemyprofessor. A lot of people that post there are people who complain about professors and I suspect because they didn't wise up taking the classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Never go by ratemyprofessor. A lot of people that post there are people who complain about professors and I suspect because they didn't wise up taking the classes.

Not true! :p I post there!....................to shut people who complain up ;). Both of my current Biology professors got horrible ratings but they're actually pretty good... hard, but good. But these are 300 level classes! Those people shouldn't be Bio majors if they're going to be lazy and not study! Grrr...

Anyaway, I think Cell Bio is better. That course is like the base of your understanding of biology. A lot of what I am sure you will learn after this will have cell biology in it. And I am sure it will help with the DAT a lot!

Yeah I disagree with this too. Ratemyprofessor can be a nice tool. I use it to find out what professors can't speak english well. I have a hard time with those that can't. You can also find out what professors are looking for or how they set their class up. There are plenty of people that write negative stuff on there just b/c they're mad when they didn't work hard. But just like SDN, you have to be able to separate valuable information from non-valuable imformation

i agree with the others about cell bio, but if you already taken the dat then i would go with bacteriology. if bacteriology is like microbio then it might help you more for dental school?

i agree with the others about cell bio, but if you already taken the dat then i would go with bacteriology. if bacteriology is like microbio then it might help you more for dental school?

Does microbio prepare you well for the DAT? I'm taking it in the fall!:D

Does microbio prepare you well for the DAT? I'm taking it in the fall!:D

i think any biology classes will prepare you for the dat? i am not sure, it has almost been 2 years since i took it. but i think in general cell bio stuff is covered more in dat than microbio stuff.

Cell Bio fo sho. It's a lot more relevant.

Sorry to hijack this post but i was going to post the same kind of question.

I have already taken my DAT. So now i want to take any course that might be helpful for me in D School.
Now for next semester i am taking Biochem for sure.
But The Cell biology is full, although the dept said to keep looking until the first two weeks of the semester.
But "Basic Immunological" class is open and i could get into that.
So should i pick Immunology and stick with it or if Cell Bio opens then switch to that?

As long as you know the basic functions of organelles and how a cell works, I suppose you could just stick with immunology. It is probably overkill for D-school, but it will help. I think you would better benefit from a physiology, anatomy, histology or micro course at this point though.

i took cell.

i also noticed some of the cell bio material on the DAT.

As long as you know the basic functions of organelles and how a cell works, I suppose you could just stick with immunology. It is probably overkill for D-school, but it will help. I think you would better benefit from a physiology, anatomy, histology or micro course at this point though.

I have one course in Physiology and Anatomy I.
I dont think Histology is offered at my college. Might have to look up.
What do you mean when you micro class? Because at my college there is a whole Dept named Microbiology. Could please be more specific which course it is?

I have one course in Physiology and Anatomy I.
I dont think Histology is offered at my college. Might have to look up.
What do you mean when you micro class? Because at my college there is a whole Dept named Microbiology. Could please be more specific which course it is?

i think he means microbiology

and a little off topic:
i took parasitology, and virology in undergrad. (those helped with microbiology a lot). always wanted to take immunology though.....

Cell Bio was the class that helped me the most on the DAT. You can expect like 8 questions on the DAT about cell basics I think.

It really doesn't matter, This will not affect you in any way, just take the easier class. Simple as that.