Help choosing a school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePod10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so got my interviews and stuff done waiting on one result. I have been reading this forum for a few days now and definitely a helpful bunch and I thank you all for your efforts.

My question: Which school should I pick? Lets assume I got into Barry too since I havent heard the result just yet.

Temple?
OCPM?
Barry?
Another? Because I did receive several other invites but I havent responded yet.

Post your opinions based on real facts and things you know about each school. Please do not start insulting the schools or each other for that matter, I am looking for some serious help and I come to you guys so dont disappoint.

Pros and cons for each school would definitely help too.

Members don't see this ad.

DMU---lots of corn and no traffic

Members don't see this ad :)
okay, on a more serious note, i think you need more than a few days on this forum to really grasp some ideas of the different schools also. I think you would be better served by reading different old threads. Some schools havent been talked about on here in weeks, even months. Until you know who Thetachi and the darklord are, you havent spent enough time on SDN.

Asking specific questions about what you would like to know may help the discussion along as well as help you get answers quicker!

Ok apology for the sarcasm. I do know a little about darklord and I have read a few things from thetachi so yes I have read some of the older posts. But my point is those are old posts, from classes of 2010 2011 and even 2012. I was looking for some fresh information that people found out from going to their interviews and reading some of the more recent posts. Also current students know about their classes from their own schools and I was hoping for their inputs. I know this may sound stupid/weird but I was hoping for this thread to be something like the currents students trying to sell me on their schools with a little focus on the three schools I am considering. I know this is asking a lot but hopefully people can be generous and spend a few mins to not just help me out but help out others who will read this.

I doubt you will get what you want by doing this. I would suggest sending PM's with specific questions to people at the schools you are thinking of.

I don't think reading all of the old forums is that great of an idea. Its basically all negativity. Here are the positives of NYCPM from my viewpoint.
  1. The clinic. Busiest. Craziest cases. Most experience. Hands down. You learn in clinic more than the classroom in life, so having a strong clinical aspect is key. Students rotate through different hospitals in the city as well.
  2. New York City. This can be a positive or a negative, depending on your personality. I love it. At any point, I can get on a subway and get anywhere in the city for $2.25. Have a bad day at class? Hop on a train downtown and get some amazing food in Little Italy. The school is in Harlem; most of the school housing is in Harlem. You are going to be surrounded by the people of Harlem. They leave you alone most of the time. They will hit on girls all the time. There is food on basically every corner. There are food stands every few blocks on the street, its nice to pick up some fresh veggies on the way home and cook. Enough about the city.
  3. Alumni affiliation. Obviously every school has a ton of alumni willing to help. This is no different. Being the oldest school and one of the larger ones, there are alumni everywhere.
  4. Board scores last exam were high. People can debate with facts and split hairs all they want, the number given to me was 98.6%.
  5. The school is making TONS of improvements. People think the building is crappy? They are pumping millions of dollars into the building right now. Gait lab, anatomy lab, offices, hallways, cafeteria, etc.
  6. The administration is always available and willing to help. They will always hear our case and work to acheive a happy medium.
  7. A majority of the student body is extremely helpful. Upperclassmen always have time to help out and give advice, pass down notes, tutor, give reviews before exams.
  8. There is a shuttle from the housing to school in the morning, afternoon, and at night. Very convenient.
Negatives:
  • Surprise you live in Harlem! Get some thick skin. People will say crazy things to you on the street. Its not that bad, you get used to it in the first few weeks. I feel completely fine walking around at any time. Believe me, its never boring here though, be it someone taking a piss in the middle of the sidewalk or someone randomly yelling and singing to themselves. I think it is a requirement that all people here must loudly talk to themselves constantly.
  • Classwise, I can't really compare because I haven't taken classes at other schools. Study hard and you do well. Sometimes you fail. Take it in stride. This is probably the case anywhere.
  • I guess the negatives just depend on what people want to complain about. I'm a positive person, so I can't think of other problems.

Sig savant, you sir deserve a medal for your efforts. Dont got any in case you really wanted one. Do you mind if other people dispute or refute some of the information you posted? Great things about NYCPM, definitely a good school to consider. Could you please explain the "anyone with a pulse get into NYCPM" claim?

Again I strongly reiterate, people please follow sig savant and if someone wants to as questions or dispute some of the information pleas do so also but IN A PROFESSIONAL manner only. Please do not take this opportunity to slander a school you do not like. I tell you this because important threads like this helps students like me and many others who will listen to what you guys have to say and this could effect out future decision. So lets hope the effects are positive and not negative because if they are the consequences are on your head (the people who caused the issues). I thank sig savant from the bottom of my heart for your effort and willingless to help out others. Your generosity will make you a great health professional one day.

As I stated, the students in my school are very willing to help each other out, especially lower classmen, so I pay this forward to you.

Sure, I love to debate, blast away at my school and my post. There isn't much to say really, the clinic is awesome, the board pass rates are up. What else could you want.

The school accepted many less people last year. 92 to be exact. The year before was about 120. They told us the restrictions were tightened for this freshman class, and thus are expected to perform even better. Only time will tell. There are still people with low scores in my class. Average MCAT was around 23, sGPA around 3.1, cGPA 3.3. Is that right studywithfury? If I was a school, I'd probably let a lot of people in. Give them a chance. Take their money. It's a business. If my scores were that low, I wouldn't worry about it because I'd realize I should change my career. If my classmates' scores are that low, it doesn't affect me because school makes you a good doctor, not your MCAT. Not really sure how letting people with low scores in really hurts anyone, unless you say they do it just for the money. Maybe they do it because they see a sparkle of hope in that person's eye, and think they deserve a chance. Maybe I'm a romantic and an optimist.

Im an optimist and a romantic too, LOVE YOU man. Your great and very helpful, if only NY had more people like you their rep would skyrocket.

I don't think reading all of the old forums is that great of an idea. Its basically all negativity. Here are the positives of NYCPM from my viewpoint.
  1. The clinic. Busiest. Craziest cases. Most experience. Hands down. You learn in clinic more than the classroom in life, so having a strong clinical aspect is key. Students rotate through different hospitals in the city as well.
  2. New York City. This can be a positive or a negative, depending on your personality. I love it. At any point, I can get on a subway and get anywhere in the city for $2.25. Have a bad day at class? Hop on a train downtown and get some amazing food in Little Italy. The school is in Harlem; most of the school housing is in Harlem. You are going to be surrounded by the people of Harlem. They leave you alone most of the time. They will hit on girls all the time. There is food on basically every corner. There are food stands every few blocks on the street, its nice to pick up some fresh veggies on the way home and cook. Enough about the city.
  3. Alumni affiliation. Obviously every school has a ton of alumni willing to help. This is no different. Being the oldest school and one of the larger ones, there are alumni everywhere.
  4. Board scores last exam were high. People can debate with facts and split hairs all they want, the number given to me was 98.6%.
  5. The school is making TONS of improvements. People think the building is crappy? They are pumping millions of dollars into the building right now. Gait lab, anatomy lab, offices, hallways, cafeteria, etc.
  6. The administration is always available and willing to help. They will always hear our case and work to acheive a happy medium.
  7. A majority of the student body is extremely helpful. Upperclassmen always have time to help out and give advice, pass down notes, tutor, give reviews before exams.
  8. There is a shuttle from the housing to school in the morning, afternoon, and at night. Very convenient.
Negatives:
  • Surprise you live in Harlem! Get some thick skin. People will say crazy things to you on the street. Its not that bad, you get used to it in the first few weeks. I feel completely fine walking around at any time. Believe me, its never boring here though, be it someone taking a piss in the middle of the sidewalk or someone randomly yelling and singing to themselves. I think it is a requirement that all people here must loudly talk to themselves constantly.
  • Classwise, I can't really compare because I haven't taken classes at other schools. Study hard and you do well. Sometimes you fail. Take it in stride. This is probably the case anywhere.
  • I guess the negatives just depend on what people want to complain about. I'm a positive person, so I can't think of other problems.

Nice overall post but 98.6 % not happening

Why am I being asked if this is acurate information? I am sorry if we disagree what your board scores are at NYCPM Sig Savant. I only report what was told to me by your Dean of Admissions, Lisa Lee. That figure was 88-89%. But apparently I am foolish to believe what anyone says who is a representative of the school I am interviewing at. Soooo I kind of give up when it comes to considering reported stats of certain schools since this is apparently all false information.

I am just going to go where I feel most comfortable and want to be...simple as that.

Members don't see this ad :)
studywithfury, I was seriously asking if this is what she told you. I'll confirm tomorrow, but yes the number was what you are stating, and recently people got their scores, I don't know if they were first time takers or not, so that is the discrepancy in the numbers. If you don't believe me, well, good luck trusting the rest of your colleagues when they publish. I only give the information I receive. I don't understand why people care about this number anyways. Work your ass off and you'll pass.

NormColeman4MN, could you possibly do a post about your school kind of like what sig savant did? Please?:D

Great thread. This could help me out too so people please help out and contribute.

Why aren't you considering DMU? Mostly everyone gets their first choice for residency and first time pass rate for part 1 of boards this yr was 98% (with the small class size that means only 1 person didn't pass)

Temple needs to pony up and stop admitting 120+ students each year. With the residency shortage we have no right to do this to the profession. On the bright side we're told next year both first and second year classes will be at the multi million dollar new medical school in North Philly. It's pretty sweet, electronic netters atlas, etc, at every cadaver table, huge comfy lecture halls, class capture so you dont have to come to North Philly aside from labs and exams. I'll be 3rd year so I won't have all the bells and whistles anymore, but damn, sure is fine time to be at TUSPM.

Temple needs to pony up and stop admitting 120+ students each year. With the residency shortage we have no right to do this to the profession. On the bright side we're told next year both first and second year classes will be at the multi million dollar new medical school in North Philly. It's pretty sweet, electronic netters atlas, etc, at every cadaver table, huge comfy lecture halls, class capture so you dont have to come to North Philly aside from labs and exams. I'll be 3rd year so I won't have all the bells and whistles anymore, but damn, sure is fine time to be at TUSPM.
Everyone here rags on OCPM, but they've had all that for a while now.

I would consider DMU but I guess they werent impressed by my stats while other schools offered interviews within a week and called me personally to invite me out to their schools. I got an email from DMU saying they got my app and other needed materials but they would like to see my fall 09 grades before making a decision. So they can kiss my a**, Ill be considering the schools who were impressed by my stats.

I don't think the residency shortage should concern many students. A dean of one the the better programs explained it this way: The shortage is estimated to be by about 30 kids (ie 500 kids vs 470 residency spots). Sounds terrible right? Well what nobody talks about is that the 500 number is "expected" graduates and every year there are 30+ fourth years who have either yet to pass part I, or will not pass part II. Apparently even with the currently tight number of residency spots programs are still going unfilled.

Maybe schools should be more concerned with graduating EVERY student they admit rather than worrying about creating residencies.

DISCLAIMER: I'm all for 500 kids actually graduating and passing their boards the first time around. It would do wonders for the profession. Sounds like a few other programs need to get on board with NYCPM and only let in qualified applicants.

EDIT: I can't believe there's a program out there with the balls to question futurepod's qualifications and not immediately offer an interview...

I would consider DMU but I guess they werent impressed by my stats while other schools offered interviews within a week and called me personally to invite me out to their schools. I got an email from DMU saying they got my app and other needed materials but they would like to see my fall 09 grades before making a decision. So they can kiss my a**, Ill be considering the schools who were impressed by my stats.

maybe that is because your stats were not impressive.

My stats are fine thank you very much. I received 5 podiatry interviews so far, 2 DO and 1 med school.

Really dtrack? Your gonna take a shot at me for what saying DMU can suck it? Why because Dmu is your top choice?

Last edited:
I don't think the residency shortage should concern many students.

Maybe because you're not a year away from graduating. This is our future, yes we are concerned and for good reason.

A dean of one the the better programs explained it this way: The shortage is estimated to be by about 30 kids (ie 500 kids vs 470 residency spots).

This dean is just uninformed. I just received a newsletter and the number of spots short/graduates for co 2010 is around 100 by their calculations.

My stats are fine thank you very much. I received 5 podiatry interviews so far, 2 DO and 1 med school.

Really dtrack? Your gonna take a shot at me for what saying DMU can suck it? Why because Dmu is your top choice?

Just out of curiosity, why did you apply to DO and MD programs, do you want to go there, or be a podiatrist? Is podiatry your backup?

Its actually the other way, MD and DO are possible backup choices. I just wanted to cover my base and make sure I have other options in case I didnt get into my choice of podiatric school. I was actually considering MD very seriously until about a year ago when I started shadowing a DPM and got totally into it.

Cool, it's good to see it the other way around for once!

CPME's July info says there's just shy of 460 residency positions...you're telling me there are 560 podiatry students who are a year away from graduating??? Well it doesn't matter what you say since the class of 2010 had only 529 students left according to the AACPM

Maybe you are uninformed? Maybe you go to one of those programs that tends to blow smoke? Since the agency who provides official residency information basically supports the info I got from the Dean (along with the APMA matriculation statistics), I'm gonna go ahead and continue to believe him.

CPME's July info says there's just shy of 460 residency positions...you're telling me there are 560 podiatry students who are a year away from graduating??? Well it doesn't matter what you say since the class of 2010 had only 529 students left according to the AACPM

Maybe you are uninformed? Maybe you go to one of those programs that tends to blow smoke? Since the agency who provides official residency information basically supports the info I got from the Dean (along with the APMA matriculation statistics), I'm gonna go ahead and continue to believe him.

Maybe because I'm actually a student getting updates on a regular basis from the organizations I'm part of? One thing you'll learn, once you're actually a podiatry student, is that admissions directors, etc will tell you anything to make this picture look cozy and seem non-worrying. These are estimates, and they are wrong. We just met with our clinical director this week who confirms this number is more like 100. Get in school before you criticize someone who's been here already.

I guess my question to you now is who's lying? There are two possibilities here: 1) The CPME. I looked at the latest list of "approved residencies" and counted every single one. So if the CPME is lying they went to the trouble of making up residencies and residency spots that do not exist. 2) Dean's offices at multiple programs. This is where the info from AACPM matriculation statistics come from. Now I know there are a few dishonest schools. But is it worth it for the Dean's office to lie about the number of third year students? Isn't it something that could easily be verified and would look bad if your institution got caught doing it (let's say to make attrition rates look reasonable)???

I don't see how either of these numbers are simply "estimates." Who "estimates" how many students they have? And at least they make their info public on a regular basis. Who in the world would believe here-say from somebody who received the info from somebody else? I'd have no problem believing you if you actually had some evidence to support any one word you've posted on here...but you don't, yet. I'm not criticizing you at all, just questioning where you got the contradictory information from. I've been very transparent as to where my opinion stems from.

My bet is (option 3) that your clinical director is giving you some motivation to do better on rotations :laugh:

I've counted the available residencies before and IIRC it was around 460 like dtrack mentioned. And the list was recently updated...10/27/09.

One thing I noticed is that a number of the programs are still PM&S 24. Will these programs have enough RRA numbers to make the switch to PM&S 36 or will they be closed down? This is key because I think there are ~80 or so PM&S 24 spots.

Maybe because I'm actually a student getting updates on a regular basis from the organizations I'm part of? One thing you'll learn, once you're actually a podiatry student, is that admissions directors, etc will tell you anything to make this picture look cozy and seem non-worrying. These are estimates, and they are wrong. We just met with our clinical director this week who confirms this number is more like 100. Get in school before you criticize someone who's been here already.[/QUOTE...

Last edited:
I guess my question to you now is who's lying? There are two possibilities here: 1) The CPME. I looked at the latest list of "approved residencies" and counted every single one. So if the CPME is lying they went to the trouble of making up residencies and residency spots that do not exist. 2) Dean's offices at multiple programs. This is where the info from AACPM matriculation statistics come from. Now I know there are a few dishonest schools. But is it worth it for the Dean's office to lie about the number of third year students? Isn't it something that could easily be verified and would look bad if your institution got caught doing it (let's say to make attrition rates look reasonable)???

I don't see how either of these numbers are simply "estimates." Who "estimates" how many students they have? And at least they make their info public on a regular basis. Who in the world would believe here-say from somebody who received the info from somebody else? I'd have no problem believing you if you actually had some evidence to support any one word you've posted on here...but you don't, yet. I'm not criticizing you at all, just questioning where you got the contradictory information from. I've been very transparent as to where my opinion stems from.

My bet is (option 3) that your clinical director is giving you some motivation to do better on rotations :laugh:

It's pretty laughable that someone who is not even a pod student is trying to step in and make light of someones future. Do you think he/she is telling you there are less residency spots because they are happy about it?

You're not taking into consideration the number of re-applicants, too. That is where this number is coming from because keep in mind not everyone matches even if there is a lot of unfilled positions. The bottom line, and I can confirm this as I'll be doing rotations next year, too, is that there are not enough spots, and yes there is reason for concern. Even more so for you my friend, who if you even do get into pod school, will be facing an even larger shortage.

We're not here blowing this out of proportion because we like to think of our future as troubled, but when your clinical directors all of a sudden start telling you the residency picture is not so pretty, yes, its a cause for concern. Of course you would not know this, you're not in school!

Criticizing a student you don't even know is just plain ignorant.

We're not here blowing this out of proportion because we like to think of our future as troubled, but when your clinical directors all of a sudden start telling you the residency picture is not so pretty, yes, its a cause for concern. Of course you would not know this, you're not in school!

Criticizing a student you don't even know is just plain ignorant.

Talked to a third Dean (who had just met about this topic with cpme people the other day) who had the exact same thing to say. Yes it appears there are going to be about 20 too many applicants assuming everyone passes this last part II session. This included EVERYBODY who was eligible for residency (meaning re-applicants). However, he said nothing indicates that all students will pass, some have yet to pass part I :eek:, and therefore expects to see spots go unfilled yet again. He then commented on the new programs that are on the verge of opening to meet the demands of the extra students just in case some of them do decide to start passing their boards.

3 schools, 3 deans, CPME, AACPM...all tell the same story. It's not one of fear and utter dismay like the two of you on this board make it out to be (the students at AZPOD sure didn't care since they have yet to not place somebody). I'm not criticizing anybody, just wanted to provide people with another opinion that actually uses some data and several more reliable sources to support it.

I was just at DMU and none of the students I talked to there seemed worried either, seeing as DMU always places their students as well. I figure work and study hard, pass your boards and you won't have to worry too much about it.

What happens in 2012 when 626+20(left overs from 2010 match)+30(left overs from 2011 match) people will be applying for 460 spots? 216 people not matching?? :eek:

The numbers above are assuming an attrition rate of 0%, everyone passing the boards, all PM&S 24 becoming PM&S 36, and no new residency programs/spots.

The numbers above are assuming an attrition rate of 0%, everyone passing the boards, all PM&S 24 becoming PM&S 36, and no new residency programs/spots.

I think you answered part of your own question jan...and the poster above hit the nail on the head in terms of what kind of attitude you should have going in IMO. Since a 0% attrition rate won't happen, and no new residency spots will not happen (Western has already secured enough spots just for their new kids and that took less than a year), obviously the 200+ extra students will not be a reality. AND if anybody would read my posts you'll notice that all the Deans are still actively seeking to open programs as the education standards are raised and the attrition rate does begin to drop (hopefully).

I have a feeling the education you'll get at scholl will put you in a position where you will feel more confident than some of the other students when it comes to the match.

What happens in 2012 when 626+20(left overs from 2010 match)+30(left overs from 2011 match) people will be applying for 460 spots? 216 people not matching?? :eek:

You're correct, there will be a number of students in the future left scratching their heads about what to do about residency. The reason how it got to this point in the first place is by greedy schools telling applicants.."Don't worry, that will NEVER happen...help is on the way...what residency shortage?"...well I heard the same thing when I was interviewing a few years ago when there were enough spots, and look where we are now. What dean$ have in mind when they're talking to $tudent$ is one thing. We had to find this out the hard way, and yes, it is time to make noise and take action. Now you can sit there with two pdfs and a calculator and say x-y= I have a residency spot, but good luck to you. In a few years, if we don't do more to get residency spots open, you will be in the same position your upperclassman are now.

just wanted to provide people with another opinion that actually uses some data and several more reliable sources to support it.

Right, because the first thing any dean wants to do is put in writing the most pressing and hot topic issue in podiatry. The issue is getting attention, but when schools admit >120 students (cough temple cough) it appears that even with the new number of residencies being created, this problem is NOT going away soon. I just met with two residency directors in my area. They received "booklets" from APMA on how to expand their residency programs. Their answer? Great, now all we need is the money and resources to do it. These are the issues you don't see as an applicant, you'll see as a student. It's not as easy as the deans are making it out to be. Trust me. Is anyone promising you a spot? Rest assured the same dean blowing smoke up your butt now will have their doors closed when students start running to them asking where their residency spot is...all the way to the bank.

Another issue is the quality of these new residencies. How much quality control is going on if new spots are to open up at a rate of 50-60/year?

Brodiatrist, I have heard of these APMA "booklets" as well. A program I know of are being asked to expand their program from 5 residents per year to 7. Where are the resources going to come from??

Oh and does anyone know the "official" number of seats each school is going to have for c/o 2014? Is the APMA putting a cap on class sizes or are they allowing schools to continually accept more and more students?

seems like a good fix to me, the schools need to have a max number of Podiatrists accepted at their schools, if there are not enough residency programs then stop admitting so many students!

its called personal responsibility and being responsible for your own actions. Go ahead and call me cocky, but I am basically at the top of my class at DMU right now. I know what I need to do to continue my success. I am not worried about a spot. On the other hand, I know some of the people at the bottom of my class, and yeah, I guess they should be worried. But there is a reason they are at the bottom, and sometimes it is not too hard to figure out why, even at the almight DMU. Not getting a residency may not be the best thing for them, but it might be a good thing for people out there with foot problems. Sorry to the people that are going to pile on me now, but I personally don't believe that getting into school automatically means you should get a residency. I am out to prove myself everday and at every test. My school provides me with great teachers and great facilities and resources. The rest is up to me. Let the chips fall where they may...

Last edited:
ssssswishhhhhh

He Sits. He Stays. He Shoots. He Scores.

Last edited:
DMU and AZ have the best basic sciences. Barry or Temple seem to have the best clinics. Scholl is pretty well rounded.

In the end, it's a matter of picking where you feel you can work hard and focus on school. GL

Speaking of ignorant...who doesn't get in to pod school?

This is exactly why there is, and will continue to be a shortage of residencies. Do you want to take a guess at who's to blame? The same guys that have their hands in your pocket while simultaneously telling you to look the other way. Essentially, because there is no real limit to how many students a school admits, every time you step in front of a dean, etc., you have a big fat $220K bounty on your forehead. It's their job to bring money to the school, not create residency spots. Proof? Well...we're living proof. So while you continue to naively pander the same propaganda as the guy trying to reel you in, I have to believe you're simply not educated enough to throw your two cents in on this issue.

its called personal responsibility and being responsible for your own actions. Go ahead and call me cocky, but I am basically at the top of my class at DMU right now. I know what I need to do to continue my success. I am not worried about a spot. On the other hand, I know some of the people at the bottom of my class, and yeah, I guess they should be worried. But there is a reason they are at the bottom, and sometimes it is not too hard to figure out why, even at the almight DMU. Not getting a residency may not be the best thing for them, but it might be a good thing for people out there with foot problems. Sorry to the people that are going to pile on me now, but I personally don't believe that getting into school automatically means you should get a residency. I am out to prove myself everday and at every test. My school provides me with great teachers and great facilities and resources. The rest is up to me. Let the chips fall where they may...

To each his own, but this issue is more related to caring about the future of the profession, not one's self. It wasn't too long ago that we didn't even have residencies, or hospital rights, etc. Furthermore, it wasn't self centered people with the "I can care less" mentality that changed things so you could have this luxury.