General Admissions & OTCAS HELP! Do I have a chance? (Started late on applications, 2.85 gpa, etc.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mothelpme

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like there's a LOT of posts asking this but I'll make it short and sweet:

I thought I was graduating next fall, turns out I am graduating in the spring with my Bachelor's, which means, uh oh, I need to apply for grad schools and apply fast. This has turned my life into a stressful hellhole but I'm managing. However, I just want to see if there's even a point. (Though I'll try anyway.)

*2.85 GPA (yikes)

*C in anatomy and physiology *And this is after retaking...

*I only have 5 hours of observation, however and am in the middle of the process of accumulating more. This is the worst thing about starting late. I feel so stupid.

*I have been working as a CNA since I was 17 (four years). I'm placing a lot of hope on this selling point alone.

*I take my GRE on the 27th.

*I have great (non OT) volunteer hours through clubs at my community college but it seems like ever since I transferred to a university after getting my associates, I feel like I'm at a huge disadvantage than everyone else.

I feel very defeated but the battle hasn't even begun. I've got a huge chunk of my applications done, just need to write essays and get an OT recommendation letter. My other recommendation letters are strong and from great sources (Vice President of the community college I went to and work supervisor who has seen how I interact with patients)

I just... Really want to be an OT but feel as if schools will look at my GPA and throw away the application before even looking at what I have to offer. Part of me wishes I had not switched from nursing but I know I wouldn't be happy with that choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Where do you want to apply?

Your last 60 credits might redeem you. Look at schools that look at last 60. There is a thread recently posted with similar questions.

Your AP grade is probably not competitive. You need to retake it again.

Don't rush and make sure your app is the best it can be.

I would wait to apply. See what your GRE score is you may or may not have to take it again. And rack up more hours volunteering under an OT or OTA to make sure you get a great recommendation from them and also volunteer in at least 2 different settings preferably with different populations. You could also take a couple more classes at community college to improve your overall GPA if you want. I think you have potential!! I just think your applying a bit too soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to say basically the same thing the other two posters mentioned. It seems like you're rushing your application and it's most likely going to suffer because of it. There's steps that need to be taken before you're ready to apply so I strongly recommend taking a gap year. I graduated this past May and am just now applying, so I will have a year off school before enrolling assuming I get accepted this cycle. Yhere's nothing wrong with that. Focus on getting a better grade in A/P, take other prereqs to raise your cumulative GPA to a minimum of 3.0, shadow in multiple settings (I'm doing around 150 hours but others have done much more), and really focus on getting a great GRE score if you don't the first time. Most of all breathe! Ace your last classes before graduation to help with your GPA and then you can give OT your full attention once you have your bachelors. Just my two cents. Good luck!

A lot of this depends on the schools you want to apply to, so it's hard to give advice when we don't know if those schools require:

1. A&P to be at least a B or higher. Most schools require this and require an A to be a competitive applicant.
2. a 3.0 minimum overall GPA. If it's only the last 60 units they consider, you might be in luck depending on how you did the past two years of schooling.
3. a certain amount of OT observation/volunteer hours and at least two different settings. This one is highly variable.
4. a letter of rec from an OT
5. GRE minimums

And it's ok to feel defeated. It just means you care about becoming an OT. Hell, I'm 31 years old and have below a 3.0 overall GPA from undergrad over 8 years ago. I'm switching careers, blew through all my savings to focus on prereq classes and to volunteer, and I'm kinda old for someone just trying to get into OT grad school.

So, chin up! If I were you, I wouldn't rush the process. Take a year off to improve A&P, get a solid GRE score, rack up OT hours, and thus get a solid rec from an OT. Unless you have some REALLY GOOD reason to rush all this and want to take a pretty risky investment into it all...

Reactions: 1 user