Help: fellowship advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey guys,

So I'm in my R2 year now and will have to apply for fellowship next year (which I know is still like 8 months away, but will be here before I know it). My problem is I really don't have a clue which fellowship to apply to. I mostly care about lifestyle and don't want to have to deal with call or working off hours (I'm already tired of doing such things for residency). I know mammo falls into this category, but I'm also unsure of its future because of screening recommendations and what will happen with the implementation of AI down the road. I know that I definitely don't want to do IR or Peds, but that's about it. I find neuro and MSK somewhat interesting, but I'm not really set on anything at the moment. Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Call is irrelevant because in most private practices all radiologists share call, no matter what fellowship they did.

However, there are some mammo only jobs that you only work during regular hours. But don't expect to be paid similar to other radiologists who participate in call.

Don't worry about AI. It is just a theory and won't replace mammographers. Also we will most likely do screening mammograms for the next several years.

But you have to make sure you like doing mammo full time. It is very boring and highly litigious.

Also if you choose radiology, you have to accept rapid changes in the field. When I was doing residency, multi-slice CT scanners were not common and MRI was mostly a daytime modality. I learned a lot of radiology after I finished training.

If lifestyle is important to you, join academics. Private practice radiology is not a lifestyle field.

Call is irrelevant because in most private practices all radiologists share call, no matter what fellowship they did.

However, there are some mammo only jobs that you only work during regular hours. But don't expect to be paid similar to other radiologists who participate in call.

Don't worry about AI. It is just a theory and won't replace mammographers. Also we will most likely do screening mammograms for the next several years.

But you have to make sure you like doing mammo full time. It is very boring and highly litigious.

Also if you choose radiology, you have to accept rapid changes in the field. When I was doing residency, multi-slice CT scanners were not common and MRI was mostly a daytime modality. I learned a lot of radiology after I finished training.

If lifestyle is important to you, join academics. Private practice radiology is not a lifestyle field.

Agree with above. Would also add that you need to be competent doing procedures if you want to be a breast imager (some people don't want to/can't handle this). Also there is a spectrum to private practice, I would say my schedule in my private practice group is better than most academic positions (trade-off is income, in relation to pp not academics)

Members don't see this ad :)
What about doing Vrads part time? Or would the pay be terrible?

Not a good way to start to your career. I don't recommend it.

Good or bad pay is a relative term. I don't know what is your definition of terrible pay. Still you will make more than most people even the educated ones.

Nucs would be the most lifestyle friendly, but the job prospects aren’t great