Help, go to Iraq or med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
aww...the midwest! Where would we be without you?

Speaking German, Japanese, Russian, or some other language of a totalitarian regime that you northeastern libs thought a peace could be negotiated with. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

If you become truly fluent in Arabic, there are plenty of jobs on this side of the ocean that should be open to you. I'm sure the FBI, CIA, and local law enforcement in major metropolitan areas all could use more Arabic translators. Maybe you wouldn't be earning 6 figures, but you would not only be safer but in my opinion doing more for the good of our country than by translating in Iraq. Just my opinion though...

Hey all, I've applied to med school a couple of times and found that my 28R mcat wasn't enough to get me into med school. As it is, I gotta retake the MCAT to get in. I also recently got back from studying Arabic in Egypt for a long time (couple years) and I've been recruited to go to Iraq to work with the US military as an interpreter and get paid 6 figures. Lately I've been really lacking motivation to study for the MCAT and really don't know if I wanna retry, maybe later, but now I just want to go abroad again. However, i know there are a lot of moral issues regarding working for the Army in Iraq (via a private contractor), not to mention physical dangers. My question is, what would you do in my situation? Do you think it's right for a person to support the military there given the current situation? If not why? if so, why? Would you take this opportunity or just say the heck with it and apply to med school. Thanks so much for any advice!

between medical school and war... well, I guess this is a hard choice! (sarcasm)

Members don't see this ad :)
I will have to disagree with that assessment. The intention of any military is not to kill, but to conquer. Killing just happens to be a means to an end. Take it from a guy who is trying to be a physician and is part of that organization. :)

This is correct. More specifically, the intention of the army is to take and hold real estate. Anyone who says otherwise is clearly out of his element.

My theory is that the longer you put off med school, the less likely it is that you'll ever do it.

my 2 cents...
i personally don't think it's worth it. however, i do know numerous people who work as interpreters with the US military all over Iraq. quite honestly, it's not that bad of a job depending on where you'll be working. if it's anywhere in the south, that's everything below baghdad, or in kurdistan, then you'll be fine. if you're going to be put in tirkrit, samaraa, falujah, or anywhere in Anbar province or a place like Ba'quba, then you better think about it more. also, it's very likely that you'll be put in baghdad given that the new plan calls for the inclusion of more civilians with the military for reconstruction efforts. again, baghdad is a huge city.. ~7million... some parts extremely dangerous, others not too bad.

anyway, i considered going to the region if i didn't get into med school, but i don't think it's worth it even if you're in the green zone. kurdistan is a different story; i would go there if given the opportunity with a US contractor. although there aren't that many US contractors there since it's a pretty safe area.

whatever you do, think hard!!! and best of luck!

Yeah dude, you should totally go to Iraq...you'll get to hang out with all those really smart soldier dudes you are living up their childhood GI-Joe fantasies, prancing around wearing jackets covered with more jewelry and ribbons than any gay dude i've ever seen in San Francisco, and fighting for world freedom...not to mention all those businessmen bent on turning Iraq into the happiest country on earth.

You'll be making lots of money, and winning the "hearts and minds" of the Iraqi people while having lots of fun! Fun like:

1. Having friendly road races with civilians:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4dea0_4507

2. Throwing gifts at shepherds and their herd:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f33d4_4607

3. Getting rid of Iraq's pest problem:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0a5ee2d6eb

and of course,

4. Making the Iraqi children happy!!!:
http://cdn-01.liveleak.com/liveleak/3/xyz42/2006/Dec/21/LiveLeak-dot-com-19405-funny.jpg

Oh joy!!! I wish I could make an honest 6-figures while simultaneously making the world a better place. Look how happy this girl is (wasn't it your childhood dream to have your school destroyed so you can stay at home too?) http://www.robert-fisk.com/bloodied_iraqichild.jpg

كيف الحال

Don't go. It's not worth it. I actually know first hand. PM me for the reasoning.

BTW, I'm sure you realize this, but Iraqi Arabic is nothing like Cairene Arabic. You will be lost if you don't brace up. I know, because I am, lo and behold, IRAQI! lol

I think between 2 dialect differences, Egypt and Iraq have the greatest differences.

I am a former US Marine who served in Iraq twice. One thing I can tell you for sure is that it will put your priorities in check; if they are not already. Being in country and seeing the suffering is one of the main reasons why I want to become a physician. As a contractor, because that is what you will be, your security is greater than that of a soldier. Granted, there probably will be numerous times when the **** hits the fan, but you have to trust your training; which I hope you will be receive. Ethically speaking, if I had to go back now, or in the future as a doctor, I would. Your mission there is just, whether you think so our not. Do I think we should have gone in in the first place, no, but, we have committed ourselves, and I have several friends who have given there life for this cause. These experiences may yield some bias on my part, however, I look at is as follows:

If I did not do it, who would? YOU
I can do my job better than anybody; therefore, I make a difference.
Because of me, my child will not be placed in such a position.
People are suffering, and I am doing my part to alleviate that.

This may sound a little personal, but once you spend some time in country stud, you will feel the same.

p.s. Please note that I said "your" mission, not "our."

Yeah dude, you should totally go to Iraq...you'll get to hang out with all those really smart soldier dudes you are living up their childhood GI-Joe fantasies, prancing around wearing jackets covered with more jewelry and ribbons than any gay dude i've ever seen in San Francisco, and fighting for world freedom...not to mention all those businessmen bent on turning Iraq into the happiest country on earth.

You'll be making lots of money, and winning the "hearts and minds" of the Iraqi people while having lots of fun! Fun like:

1. Having friendly road races with civilians:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4dea0_4507

2. Throwing gifts at shepherds and their herd:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f33d4_4607

3. Getting rid of Iraq's pest problem:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0a5ee2d6eb

and of course,

4. Making the Iraqi children happy!!!:
http://cdn-01.liveleak.com/liveleak/3/xyz42/2006/Dec/21/LiveLeak-dot-com-19405-funny.jpg

Oh joy!!! I wish I could make an honest 6-figures while simultaneously making the world a better place. Look how happy this girl is (wasn't it your childhood dream to have your school destroyed so you can stay at home too?) http://www.robert-fisk.com/bloodied_iraqichild.jpg

So you can go to med-school stud, or would you rather have a draft?

Dude, are you for real? I am a former United States Marine and a combat veteran and we pretty much wore battle-dress all the time with no adornment other than muted rank insignia on the collar and a muted USMC on the breast pocket. It's also somewhat difficult to prance around with the typical infantry combat load. Not only was the body-armor bulky and hot but, in my case, the machinegun ammo belt kind of got in the way.

And I'm pretty sure I'm smarter than you, even though I was an "enlisted soldier dude."

the intention of any military is to kill. I don't know why a person who is trying to become a physician, aka heal, would ever want to be part of such organization unless to actually practice medicine.

I am sorry OP if you don't consider facts about what you're going to get yourself into as advice. just my two cents

This is classic SDN. People who have never been physicians who are experts on being physicians and people who have never done any military service who are experts on the military.

Here's a suggestion. When you interview for medical school or residency make sure to clearly state your opinion on the fitness of soldiers and Marines to be doctors. You'd be surprised how many physicians you are going to offend.

Seriously though, medicine is not a cult. When you act in the capacity of a physician you treat the wounded and sick. If you were, on the other hand, also a reservist in an infantry company like one of my buddies then you kick down doors and call in airstrikes when you are deployed in that capacity. You do not, repeat not, take an oath to become a pacifist. "First do no harm," refers to your patient, not the enemy.

Don't be a tool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this "6 figures" mean $120,000 or $300,000? I suggest that you go if it's the latter.

You only live once and 300,000 would be a nice purse to bring home. OTOH, $100,000 wouldn't do it for me since you're putting off medical school for 1-2 years so that's 100-200k that you're putting off as well.

Also, with a 28 MCAT score, you could get in somewhere. I scored the same and I highly recommend that you apply to osteopathic programs. I don't know what state you're from, but there are some good ones throughout the country.

Good Luck with the decision.

Nah, you don't count it off as one of the first years of your work, but one of the last years of your work (as in, if you start med school one year later, you lose the year right before you retire in salary, not the first year in salary). So even at $300K it might be a better financial decision to go to medical school, since many specialties have higher salaries for very established physicians (which you would be if you'd been working for decades).

Personally I don't think it's worth it, but eh.

Oh and to the person who thinks only opinions from people who have served in the military in Iraq should count, that makes no sense since the OP isn't even asking if he should go join the military. So it's much like asking: "Should I go to Los Angeles or Sudan next year?" I don't think you have to have been to Sudan to be able to express the opinion that it might be a better idea to go to Los Angeles, all things considered.

Anyways, not that many people have joined the military after the Iraq war started, so I'm going to go out on a limb and venture that many of the people who joined prior to the war wouldn't have joined if the war had already been going on. lol, I almost enlisted myself at one point, and in retrospect I think it worked out for the better, since my marine buddy basically just ended up being stationed in Japan, getting a ton of huge tattoos, and sleeping with random prostitutes (although he was already kind of a sketchy guy prior to enlisting, so I'm sure this isn't how everyone behaves...I hope, I think his girlfriend is finally 18 now, lol). Oh, and it's not that that doesn't sound fun or anything, but if I had to attend community college while living at home after serving, I'd probably kill myself.

Nah, you don't count it off as one of the first years of your work, but one of the last years of your work (as in, if you start med school one year later, you lose the year right before you retire in salary, not the first year in salary). So even at $300K it might be a better financial decision to go to medical school, since many specialties have higher salaries for very established physicians (which you would be if you'd been working for decades).

Oh and to the person who thinks only opinions from people who have served in the military in Iraq should count, that makes no sense since the OP isn't even asking if he should go join the military. So it's much like asking: "Should I go to Los Angeles or Sudan next year?" I don't think you have to have been to Sudan to be able to express the opinion that it might be a better idea to go to Los Angeles, all things considered.

The thread got pretty sidetracked and he's wasn't responding to the OP's question. Seemed like he was just trying to set the record straight about the military service members.

Speaking German, Japanese, Russian, or some other language of a totalitarian regime that you northeastern libs thought a peace could be negotiated with. :cool:

? WTF? You better check yourself and check where the soldiers who died in WWII were from...that's some BS you're spewing right there.

Thats like a garbage man asking...should i be a doctor (something that he will fail at) or be a garbage man (the only thing his talents are good for).:luck:

Anyways, not that many people have joined the military after the Iraq war started, so I'm going to go out on a limb and venture that many of the people who joined prior to the war wouldn't have joined if the war had already been going on. lol, I almost enlisted myself at one point, and in retrospect I think it worked out for the better, since my marine buddy basically just ended up being stationed in Japan, getting a ton of huge tattoos, and sleeping with random prostitutes (although he was already kind of a sketchy guy prior to enlisting, so I'm sure this isn't how everyone behaves...I hope, I think his girlfriend is finally 18 now, lol). Oh, and it's not that that doesn't sound fun or anything, but if I had to attend community college while living at home after serving, I'd probably kill myself.

Absolutely not true. Except for a few months, since 2003 the active duty military has met or come very close to its normal recruiting goals. A normal enlistment in the Marines, for example, is four years. If nobody was enlisting the Marines would be at half-strength right now, especially since retention is no better or no worse than it was before the war. People are enlisting, serving, reenlisting, or deciding they've had enough (Like I did after eight years) at a normal or close to normal rate.

In fact, I believe that retention in combat units (infantry, armor, engineering, special forces, etc.) is better than it was pre-war by a small but statistically significant percentage. This is hard for a lot of you people to understand because you are somewhat provincial and culturally naive but a lot of people enlist in the Marines and the Army for the express purpose of seeing some action. A little known fact among civilians is that not only do you have to volunteer for the military but you also have to volunteer for a specific job before you even swear your oath and sign the contract.

It stands to reason that anybody who enlists in the Marines or the Army on an infantry contract is fully aware and expects to see some action.

I also wanted to point out that when I enlisted back in the early eighties, the military had trouble meeting it's recruiting goals and there was no war going on at the time.

The reserves have fallen short of their recruting goals but not to to the point that "not that many people are have joined."

I don't understand the community college angle and what it has to do with enlisting. The MGIB is a pretty good deal and a lot of people take advantage of it for higher education at the same universities attended by the elite of SDN. It is only four years of your life. Not the end of the world. Go to the non-traditional forum and you will see that delaying matriculating for four years hardly even raises an eyebrow.

On another note, you missed out not sacrificing a few years of your life to serve your country and be a "man among among men" (as the old Rhodesian Army recruiting posters said). Random prostitutes not withstanding, a tour in a solid, no-nonsense outfit like the Marine infantry would have done you a lot of good (assuming you weren't maimed or killed of course). Quit trying to make a virtue out of a desire not to be inconvenienced or to risk your life, both legitimate reasons to avoid military service but hardly something to crow about.

Let's not get all European.

As to non-military people commenting on this thread, I don't see why you have to have served to have a legitimate opinion. Still, you need to get your facts straight.

haha, this reminds me of the johns hopkins vs. southern illinois thread

or that Harvard vs. Carribbean thread...obviously you go carribbean:thumbup:

PS. According to G-dub, you should be safer in Iraq because apparently a surge of more troops will end all the bloodshed and get these factions from ending their hate of each other that has raged for centuries...G-dub said so, G-dub must right...go G-dub...

or that Harvard vs. Carribbean thread...obviously you go carribbean:thumbup:

PS. According to G-dub, you should be safer in Iraq because apparently a surge of more troops will end all the bloodshed and get these factions from ending their hate of each other that has raged for centuries...G-dub said so, G-dub must right...go G-dub...

You know, they have a whole forum filled with nothing but mostly ignorant and largely toxic political debate. You would fit in well as your political opinions are probably poorly informed and nothing but talking points from the Daily Kos.

I got my start on SDN over there but reached my limit after the 2004 election from which I am still post-ictal. I think a bunch of my liberal SDN friends have also stopped posting there for the same reason, namely that the debates are so idiotic that it is pointless. Wrestle with pigs and all that.

You know, they have a whole forum filled with nothing but mostly ignorant and largely toxic political debate. You would fit in well as your political opinions are probably poorly informed and nothing but talking points from the Daily Kos.

I got my start on SDN over there but reached my limit after the 2004 election from which I am still post-ictal. I think a bunch of my liberal SDN friends have also stopped posting there for the same reason, namely that the debates are so idiotic that it is pointless. Wrestle with pigs and all that.

My political viewpoint is shared by a majority in congress and by top military generals...I dont think I am spewing any of these opinions on my own...but if you want to have a debate I can be civil and informative too...

My political viewpoint is shared by a majority in congress and by top military generals...I dont think I am spewing any of these opinions on my own...but if you want to have a debate I can be civil and informative too...

"G-dub said so, G-dub must right...go G-dub," to quote you. This is not the writing of somebody who is particularly well informed or civil and the kind of thing that makes political debate on SDN so toxic.

It's like trying to argue with someone who thinks Hillary Clinton is the female antichrist. You might make a good point or two and think you're making some headway but the other guy is going to say, "Maybe so, but she drinks the blood of infants."

Same with liberals and President Bush. Most of them can not get past the "Chimphitler" stage of debate so it's pointless.

"G-dub said so, G-dub must right...go G-dub," to quote you. This is not the writing of somebody who is particularly well informed or civil and the kind of thing that makes political debate on SDN so toxic.

It's like trying to argue with someone who thinks Hillary Clinton is the female antichrist. You might make a good point or two and think you're making some headway but the other guy is going to say, "Maybe so, but she drinks the blood of infants."

Same with liberals and President Bush. Most of them can not get past the "Chimphitler" stage of debate so it's pointless.

well...G-dub is how me and my homies relate to the prez as we eat cheetos in my moms basement waiting for the season finale of star-trek episode 2 rerun to come on...it's like, why he gotta be like dat sendin troops and sh%$t...and I am like, he just is like dat, he is the prez you know what I am sayin...and it's like...wait!...shows back on!

and I think I got past the chimphitler stage a long time ago...:laugh:

Dude, are you for real? I am a former United States Marine and a combat veteran and we pretty much wore battle-dress all the time with no adornment other than muted rank insignia on the collar and a muted USMC on the breast pocket. It's also somewhat difficult to prance around with the typical infantry combat load. Not only was the body-armor bulky and hot but, in my case, the machinegun ammo belt kind of got in the way.

And I'm pretty sure I'm smarter than you, even though I was an "enlisted soldier dude."

Yeah, you're smarter than me huh? Let the imagination fly....

everyone with a strong opinion in this thread who hasn't served is absurdly annoying.

You have a point. Just like an oncologist who has never had cancer doesn't really know anything about cancer, people who have not "served" don't know anything about the military.

Here's another shiny medal to put on your uniform! Oooo, and a ribbon too!

You have a point. Just like an oncologist who has never had cancer doesn't really know anything about cancer, people who have not "served" don't know anything about the military.

Those shiny medals and ribbons mean more to the people who get them than any old white coat that you might "put" on someday. There is so much more to the military than you can even comprehend and your posts are showing it. I value my military service more than any other extracurricular activity I could do.

Militarism in this country has become a disease, and I treat it as such.

My point is that people with overtly strong opinions about this topic who haven't served have proven to sound exceedingly biased. More often than not they are using this thread to serve their own agenda and spew whatever they have to say about the war, good or bad. I have been annoyed by the very liberal and the very conservative posts. You, Wannabemed, annoy me but not from a political standpoint. You are just a mouth-breathing, good for nothing reject who is trying to start something up when nothing existed to begin with. Read my post. In real life you're the kind of person I'd need to snap my fingers at to make you give me eye contact, so instead I will type in bold for you. I said strong opinions.

Based on what everyone's said, the most well-rounded and realistic critiques of either going to medical school or going to Iraq have been from those who have done both. That is not surprising...however SDN is the land of 20 year old know it alls because you took a humanities class.

I don't think there is a perfectly right answer for the OP. Both sides have their strengths and weaknesses. One thing I'm certain of is your uselessness, Wannabemed.

Oh jeez, i'm sorry SitraAchra...pardon me if I think the OP shouldn't be profiteering from an unjust war. That's such a strong opinion. I'll censor it for you next time kiddo. FYI, I used to be in Army ROTC...until I pulled my head out of my ass. I suggest you do the same.

Oh jeez, i'm sorry SitraAchra...pardon me if I think the OP shouldn't be profiteering from an unjust war. That's such a strong opinion. I'll censor it for you next time kiddo. FYI, I used to be in Army ROTC...until I pulled my head out of my ass. I suggest you do the same.

Hahaha. ROTC...good for you. Just because you don't agree with how the war was started, and I share that opinion, doesn't mean joining the military or being a contractor isn't doing a service to others. It's not black and white where joining the military = propagating some evil force.

Don't be a tool.

good advice...let me know when you stop being one.

when it comes down to it, the military = killing machine; try to spin that one.

No problem
GARY B. BEIKIRCH
Rank and organization:

Sergeant, U.S. Army, Company B, 5th Special Forces Group, 1st Special Forces. Place and date: Kontum Province, Republic of Vietnam, 1 April 1970.

Entered service at:

Buffalo, N.Y. Born: 29 August 1947, Rochester, N.Y.

Citation:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Sgt. Beikirch, medical aidman, Detachment B-24, Company B, distinguished himself during the defense of Camp Dak Seang. The allied defenders suffered a number of casualties as a result of an intense, devastating attack launched by the enemy from well-concealed positions surrounding the camp. Sgt. Beikirch, with complete disregard for his personal safety, moved unhesitatingly through the withering enemy fire to his fallen comrades, applied first aid to their wounds and assisted them to the medical aid station. When informed that a seriously injured American officer was lying in an exposed position, Sgt. Beikirch ran immediately through the hail of fire. Although he was wounded seriously by fragments from an exploding enemy mortar shell, Sgt. Beikirch carried the officer to a medical aid station. Ignoring his own serious injuries, Sgt. Beikirch left the relative safety of the medical bunker to search for and evacuate other men who had been injured. He was again wounded as he dragged a critically injured Vietnamese soldier to the medical bunker while simultaneously applying mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to sustain his life. Sgt. Beikirch again refused treatment and continued his search for other casualties until he collapsed. Only then did he permit himself to be treated. Sgt. Beikirch's complete devotion to the welfare of his comrades, at the risk of his life are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit on him, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

No problem

Yeah, TM2006, MirrorTodd really stumped you on this one. I mean this is Gary Beikirch we're talking about! He saw all that protesting against an illegal war/US imperialism/atrocities in Vietnam as too slow for his tastes, so he decided to end the war, free the Vietnamese people, and bring the troops home using his own hands by becoming a Green Beret! Wow, how brave! What an icon of human morality. All that killing that he caused, direct and indirect, is cancelled out because he risked his own life to save a couple comrades on the battlefield. Screw Doctors Without Borders, I wanna sit on Gary Beikirch's lap.

Let us not deceive ourselves....US involvement in Iraq and Vietnam do/did not have noble intentions like US involvement in WW2 did (but even that's debatable to a certain extent)....and most people who sign up are not Pat Tillmans. Rather, most are *****ic macho-wannabes who want to swing a gun around and fantasize in their sleep about "heroism" in war...and somehow expect my admiration. America's vast, standing army is a disease that's leading to world suffering and shortage of funds that can otherwise be spent on healthcare, education, and other civil (and actually noble) pursuits.

This is a ridiculous thread and I do hope that it gets deleted. For one, the OP is asking a question with a CLEAR answer since everyone here is SO set on being physicians. Secondly, I've only read a few comments-but I don't think anyone should disrespect any of our servicemen that are overseas whatsoever and especially not on an anonymous thread. Many people on SDN go to college, get good grades, and get into med school-most have no idea what it's like to have to come up from nothing, go to a country where everyone hates you and have to constantly watch your back because otherwise it might mean your life...if you don't agree with the war, that's fine...but don't bash the men and women over there fighting for your ass. My husband is over there right now, it really hurts me that he and I have to be apart months on end-skipping all holidays, missing every event in each other's lives so that he can protect our country and everywhere I turn, the military is getting no respect. Most of you have no idea what they go through and most of you couldn't do it yourself, so please...think about what you say and who you are bashing before you say it.

If the OP really wants advice, they should probably go elsewhere, SDN is a very biased place for obvious reasons.

such compassion from all of these individuals who "just want to help people".

I'm sorry to the OP that so many jackasses came in here and ruined the thread.

This was never supposed to be about politics or anyone's opinion of the war.

agony of retaking MCATs versus agony of fighting a war w/ possibility of losing life or limbs....hmmmmmmmmm...... I would take the MCATs and study reaallllllllllllllllllllyyyy hard!

My husband is over there right now, it really hurts me that he and I have to be apart months on end-skipping all holidays, missing every event in each other's lives so that he can protect our country and everywhere I turn, the military is getting no respect. Most of you have no idea what they go through and most of you couldn't do it yourself, so please...think about what you say and who you are bashing before you say it.

I am saddened by the comments of many posters on this thread. My thoughts go out to you and your husband as he's protecting our country for us. I hope they cancel that thread as well.

the intention of any military is to kill. I don't know why a person who is trying to become a physician, aka heal, would ever want to be part of such organization unless to actually practice medicine.

I am sorry OP if you don't consider facts about what you're going to get yourself into as advice. just my two cents

So if Osama Bin Laden came into your private practice (where you could deny him service), would you treat him from some illness that would otherwise end his life? I would probably give him a potassium chloride push instead, and I bet my co-workers would applaud.

The Commander's Intent from a US military branch is to "provide, sustain and reconstitute trained and ready forces to support Combatant Commanders’ requirements, win the War on Terrorism, and defend the homeland. Integrate select Future Force capabilities into the Current Force and ensure the Well-Being of our people." Obviously one result of this intent is killing enemy combatants, but the overall goal is to protect our country. Haven't you heard of the greater good? The war in Iraq has been severely mismanaged, but the intent of our military is not to kill. In case you didn't know, this country is basically what it is today as a result of many wars and you wouldn't even be able to have your opinion if that wasn't the case. There are obviously plenty of people who can be in the military and also be physicians considering there are plenty of your peers who chose to take advantage of military scholarships and even military medical schools.

This is a ridiculous thread and I do hope that it gets deleted. For one, the OP is asking a question with a CLEAR answer since everyone here is SO set on being physicians. Secondly, I've only read a few comments-but I don't think anyone should disrespect any of our servicemen that are overseas whatsoever and especially not on an anonymous thread. Many people on SDN go to college, get good grades, and get into med school-most have no idea what it's like to have to come up from nothing, go to a country where everyone hates you and have to constantly watch your back because otherwise it might mean your life...if you don't agree with the war, that's fine...but don't bash the men and women over there fighting for your ass. My husband is over there right now, it really hurts me that he and I have to be apart months on end-skipping all holidays, missing every event in each other's lives so that he can protect our country and everywhere I turn, the military is getting no respect. Most of you have no idea what they go through and most of you couldn't do it yourself, so please...think about what you say and who you are bashing before you say it.

If the OP really wants advice, they should probably go elsewhere, SDN is a very biased place for obvious reasons.

um... not EVERYONE hates the US in "Iraq"... did anyone catch the first story of 60 Minutes today?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/16/60minutes/main2486679_page2.shtml

check out the video on the right

cheers,
farikanok

Let us not deceive ourselves....US involvement in Iraq and Vietnam do/did not have noble intentions like US involvement in WW2 did (but even that's debatable to a certain extent)....and most people who sign up are not Pat Tillmans. Rather, most are *****ic macho-wannabes who want to swing a gun around and fantasize in their sleep about "heroism" in war...and somehow expect my admiration. America's vast, standing army is a disease that's leading to world suffering and shortage of funds that can otherwise be spent on healthcare, education, and other civil (and actually noble) pursuits.

Seriously, I'd rather buy a couple of carrier battle groups and their operational budget for ten years than dump it into giving still more freebies to a largely shiftless and lazy dependency class.

I think it will be nice when one day the military has all the money it needs for advanced weapons and training and the Department of Social Services has to hold bake sales to put drug addicts on disabiity.

Wannabemed and TM2006 are just trying to harass everyone...this thread is done...

I swear, Wannabemed has got to be my old SDN friend, "Somefakename," who also was extremely anti-military although it later turned out that he disliked Marines because his girlfriend had dumped him for one.

Wannabemed and TM2006 are just trying to harass everyone...this thread is done...

harass? I guess facts are too much for people.

people who join the military are trained to kill. the military can be viewed as a killing machine. the soldiers should be respected for being efficient at what they do best.

a doctor is trained to heal not kill. doctors should be respected for being efficient healers.

hope you can see the difference...

Let me preface this statement with the fact that I read absolutely no part of this thread other than the OP's first post. The fact that this has made it to page two is not a reflection of the simplicity of the question...I don't care if they offer you the job of President of Iraq for life, don't take it go to medical school

A question for the ages, this is.