Help! I'm applying Fall '08!!

Discussion in 'Audiology [ Au.D ]' started by audambition, May 10, 2008.

1. audambition

Post Doc
    I'm a undergraduate student from southern california who really wants to go to Audiology school, especially Vanderbilt. After reading some of the threads, I am feeling pretty discouraged. I was hoping any current Aud students or anyone who knows about the Aud programs could help answer some questions for me.

1. My GPA is a 3.0
    2. What are the demographics at these schools?
    3. What is the average age in Audiology school?
    4. Any other information about Vanderbilt would be great!

#1 audambition, May 10, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Haga

Haga Hotter Than Black Pepper

Other Health Professions Student

Welcome to the forum....you can go to http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/root/vumc.php?site=gshss

to find out more about Vanderbilt's program. I think that they application process for 2008 is already over (Don't Quote me on that) As far as your GPA, for Vanderbilt, I don't think it is very competitive, they are ranked number 1 in the nation in Audiology.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful....I'm working on my 2nd Bachelors in SLP

4. AuDie

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    Fall '08 admissions are already determined, so if you were hoping to go to Vanderbilt this year you're going to be out of luck unfortunately. If you're applying during Fall '08 for Fall '09 admissions you're fine. Just make sure you take the GRE this summer.

1. Your GPA is a bit low. 3.0 is usually the cutoff for admission, but average GPA for top tier schools (like Vandy) tend to be higher (probably closer to 3.5 although I don't have an exact number for you). I applied for fall '08 admission to Vanderbilt with a 3.65 GPA, competitive GRE, and research experience and was waitlisted. Vanderbilt doesn't charge an app fee if you apply online, however, so it definitely couldn't hurt to try (keep in mind that because it's free and #1 in the nation that a TON of people apply there). Just make sure you apply to a range of different schools-find some mid to lower level schools that you wouldn't mind going to in addition to your dream schools.

2. Demographics will vary by school, but going by the sample of applicants I've met along the way it's primarily Caucasian with a couple minorities mixed in. Admissions stats at some schools I've looked at reflect this trend, so it may or may not help you.

3. Most people are applying to Audiology grad programs straight out of undergrad, so 22-23 is probably the average age of first year students.

4. Check out the link the previous poster provided. Don't know much else about Vandy other than they sent me a rather polite/generic waitlist letter.

Sorry about the long post. Good luck!

5. audiot

Other Health Professions Student
    http://hes.asha.org:8080/EdFind/Doctoral/DoctSearch.aspx

This is asha's website and a very useful tool when trying to evaluate your chances of being accepted. While not all schools are listed, many of the top caliber programs are. Just make sure when you search for a school you click on their Audiology section and not SLP.