Help improve the overall SDN community

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

listener23

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Like-Whoring" - Is when an OP posts a questing and within the first few minutes another SDN member instead of answering the original question, makes a unnecessary snarky joke in order to generate likes for himself. This action does nothing for the tread and does not progress the conversation.

This is a growing trend on SDN and if its not corrected (discouraged) could chase away potential new members....

Remember guys: THIS IS NOT FACEBOOK don't be a "*****"

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Purposefully NOT liking OP's post ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, wtf.

dig-a-hole-o.gif

For many, SDN is a place to get away while still staying somewhat relevant to the subject matter our lives are centered around. For me, this means having a place to go for advice or just to spark my curiosity when I'm feeling a bit down or lost. We get that this isn't Facebook, nor are members trying to make it so. SDN is professional, sure, but not entirely. Sometimes a good joke here and there is really needed.

Reactions: 3 users
"Like-Whoring" - Is when an OP posts a questing and within the first few minutes another SDN member instead of answering the original question, makes a unnecessary snarky joke in order to generate likes for himself. This action does noting for the tread and does not progress the conversation.

This is a growing trend on SDN and if its not corrected (discouraged) could chase away potential new members....

I agree, but you are fighting a losing battle.

"Like-Whoring" - Is when an OP posts a questing and within the first few minutes another SDN member instead of answering the original question, makes a unnecessary snarky joke in order to generate likes for himself. This action does noting for the tread and does not progress the conversation.

I agree with you completely. The problem is there are far to many on here who like to inflate their ego. They don't act like this in real life, but on SDN they know everything and if you have a different viewpoint you are called a troll. There are lots of helpful people on here. After being on SDN for a while you learn who the know it alls are and you'll also quickly identify the cliques that have formed, always backing each other up, pathetic!

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with you completely. The problem is there are far to many on here who like to inflate their ego. They don't act like this in real life, but on SDN they know everything and if you have a different viewpoint you are called a troll. There are lots of helpful people on here. After being on SDN for a while you learn who the know it alls are and you'll also quickly identify the cliques that have formed, always backing each other up, pathetic!

Maybe its a good thing they're adding a social science section to the MCAT if its such a novel and shocking realization that such behavior would exist in an annonymous internet forum....

Reactions: 8 users
"Like-Whoring" - Is when an OP posts a questing and within the first few minutes another SDN member instead of answering the original question, makes a unnecessary snarky joke in order to generate likes for himself. This action does nothing for the tread and does not progress the conversation.

Whambulance dispatched, hold tight!

Also, do not bad mouth the ****** - they provide a valuable service to the community.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like you. I used to be worried that the snarky posters here were really going to comprise the majority of people in a med schools class. Now I think they are just a vocal minority and the majority of people who will be in any given med school class are people like you or those who never post on SDN to begin with.

Its not the "likes" that are an issue... SDN is a place for people to "customize" their questions and ask about their specific scenarios. Individuals will often start redundant or frivolous threads that could have been avoided by simple research or taking a little extra time to personally analyze their question. This then "encourages" individuals to post these sarcastic comments. People will always share their opinions whether beneficial or detrimental. The best thing you can do is simply move on and ignore their comment because a forum/thread becomes unappealing the instant that someone derails it with a harsh comment or harsh response to a comment.

You're overgeneralizing based upon your experience. Most serious, thought out questions get serious, thought out answers. When you post stupid, flame-worthy threads, you reap what you sow.

Reactions: 9 users
Maybe its a good thing they're adding a social science section to the MCAT if its such a novel and shocking realization that such behavior would exist in an annonymous internet forum....

No one said anything about novel or shocking. I think the overall point is people ask questions on here and there is always a smartass response by someone, typically followed by that person's clique posting more ignorant stuff. It makes me think these people must have pathetic life if they spend their time clouding sdn with stupidity.

I'd have theorized it was Post Padding. Snarky comments annoy many users and don't reliably result in "Likes" from what I've noticed. I'll pay more attention.

And, there is an "Ignore" button for a reason.

I like you. I used to be worried that the snarky posters here were really going to comprise the majority of people in a med schools class. Now I think they are just a vocal minority and the majority of people who will be in any given med school class are people like you or those who never post on SDN to begin with.

Oh no! Y'all are forming a clique! Stop before it's too late!

I think the overall point is people ask questions on here and there is always a smartass response by someone, typically followed by that person's clique posting more ignorant stuff. It makes me think these people must have pathetic life if they spend their time clouding sdn with stupidity.

The vast majority of the time the questions being responded to in such a manner are what contribute to the bolded statement.

Its not the "likes" that are an issue... SDN is a place for people to "customize" their questions and ask about their specific scenarios. Individuals will often start redundant or frivolous threads that could have been avoided by simple research or taking a little extra time to personally analyze their question. This then "encourages" individuals to post these sarcastic comments. People will always share their opinions whether beneficial or detrimental. The best thing you can do is simply move on and ignore their comment because a forum/thread becomes unappealing the instant that someone derails it with a harsh comment or harsh response to a comment.

Exactly, often similar situations, but that one crucial detail causes their situation to be a little different. Ignore the thread if you can't help.

I'm confused- I've never seen anyone do this on FB. I think you have the wrong kind of friends...time to find some more mature ones.

Also, if you are this upset about a random stranger's "snarky" Internet comment, you likely will not have what it takes to make it through med school.

This forum has been filled with snarky comments since long before they implemented the like system. At least now you don't have to scroll through five extra "+1 lol" posts

Reactions: 15 users
Exactly, often similar situations, but that one crucial detail causes their situation to be a little different. Ignore the thread if you can't help.

The problem is 1) people are too lazy to do their own work even though it might only take a few minutes - they just want someone to tell them the answer, and 2) people think minor differences in a situation somehow warrant a whole new discussion about a topic previously beaten to death. #1 is easily fixable - making it easy to guide new members to threads with good info is a good place to start. Perhaps something categorized by topic with links to quality threads stickied on the front page. The problem is that this would require a lot of work, and no one seems all that interested in doing it. It's just easier to ignore the threads.

The problem is 1) people are too lazy to do their own work even though it might only take a few minutes - they just want someone to tell them the answer, and 2) people think minor differences in a situation somehow warrant a whole new discussion about a topic previously beaten to death. #1 is easily fixable - making it easy to guide new members to threads with good info is a good place to start. Perhaps something categorized by topic with links to quality threads stickied on the front page. The problem is that this would require a lot of work, and no one seems all that interested in doing it. It's just easier to ignore the threads.

Neuronix did something a little like this on the MD/PhD forums, really useful. Definitely could see it being a ton of work though.

I'd actually argue that threads like these (Hey there, @listener23 ) are much worse than any one snarky commenter.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sdn-and-medical-school.1057971/

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/why-do-africans-get-a-urm-boost.1058086/

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/bye-bye-do-schools.1057378/#post-14951141

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-mcat-is-harder-in-the-summer.1047194/

Plus, look at @Reckoner and I's posts to like ratio. Not even money can buy that kind of self esteem boost!

Edit: @listener23 if I respond to your post down there then my ratio will go down :(

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

It would be easier to ignore the thread. Sometimes the slight difference does warrant a new discussion. It's not up to others to be the SDN police. The purpose of SDN is discussion.

I think the problem with #2 is #1; you can lead a pre-med to resources, but you cannot stop them from whining about how special their situation is.

Now stop, take a deep breath and ask yourself.... Did my post contribute to the point of the thread or am I just being a *****?

It would be an effort on the admin's part, but having a whole list of quality stickies categorized into a few different topics, would be great. I don't see it being very precise, so one would still have to do a bit of digging. People would still probably inundate the forum with asinine threads, anyway.

Now stop, take a deep breath and ask yourself.... Did my post contribute to the point of the thread or am I just being a *****?

If by "contribute" you mean"provide much needed context for listener23's rant," then yes, yes it did.

Reactions: 2 users
If by "contribute" you mean"provide much needed context for listener23's rant," then yes, yes it did.

Im not the only member who gets "whored on" a lot of new poster gets this treatment as well. As stated if a member finds my post stupid, why not just ignore it?

It isn't that people form cliques...people just have this uncanny ability to agree about pointless threads/comments. Also, if enough people call you a troll, maybe it's time to take a real hard look in the mirror...

tumblr_mxhxmsaW0C1s39dc6o1_500.gif

It would be an effort on the admin's part, but having a whole list of quality stickies categorized into a few different topics, would be great. I don't see it being very precise, so one would still have to do a bit of digging. People would still probably inundate the forum with asinine threads, anyway.

It's something that I've been wanting to work on for a while but just haven't done it. I'm hoping to work on it during the MS4 lull, but we'll see. When I tried to get a community effort going on this about a year or so ago there was no interest, so I gave it up for the time being.

Im not the only member who gets "whored on" a lot of new poster gets this treatment as well
No they don't. As long as they don't start *****ic threads bashing other members of the forum.

The loud mouth know it alls are in no way representative of the medical student population. Generally, the viewpoint portrayed on here is liberal and atheist. If you don't hold those views you're a troll. A quick Google search will tell you that does not represent the majority of doctors. Furthermore, doctors have much more tolerance for other perspectives.

Last edited:
Did you just try to tell the internet to be more mature? I think it'd be easier to have everyone give up their anonymity.

It's something that I've been wanting to work on for a while but just haven't done it. I'm hoping to work on it during the MS4 lull, but we'll see. When I tried to get a community effort going on this about a year or so ago there was no interest, so I gave it up for the time being.
The applicant sticky already covers some of this: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...y-ps-amcas-secondaries-interviews-etc.989576/

Some of the links are quite old, however, and it could definitely be expanded.

You have the power to ignore threads you deem "*****ic"
The same could be said for yourself when you whine about people being snarky and getting more attention than yourself.

And why should I ignore something that's so entertaining? :corny:

The same could be said for yourself when you whine about people being snarky and getting more attention than yourself.

And why should I ignore something that's so entertaining? :corny:

Once again if your not for a cleaner (anti-whoreing) SDN your posts only serve as a distraction from the main idea...

Once again if your not for a cleaner (anti-whoreing) SDN your posts only serve as a distraction from the main idea...

So you only want to hear from people who agree with you? This is a discussion how?

Have you failed to acknowledge the existence of moderators?

The "main idea" of this thread was to discuss unproductive posts, and this thread has quickly become a case study. I'd say I'm perfectly on track.

So you only want to hear from people who agree with you? This is a discussion how?

No people who don't change the topic. The thread is not about the value of my threads. Its about people using snarky comments all over SDN that could potently chase away members from the website.

No people who don't change the topic. The thread is not about the value of my threads. Its about people using snarky comments all over SDN that could potently chase away members from the website.
And when we contest the validity of your premise, it's derailing?

Never waste your time explaining yourself to people who are committed to misunderstanding you. - dream hampton

Here's how I see this thread.

1. OP is mad that every time he makes a new thread about a useless topic, people tell him he's wrong.
2. These people, being correct, get likes for their posts, which occasionally happen to be entertaining as well.
3. OP decides that these people are wrong because they disagree with him, therefore the only reason they could possibly be posting is for likes.
4. OP makes a new worthless thread, the vicious cycle continues.

Case and point: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/getting-rejected-from-med-school-twice-is-hard.1061108/

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.