HELP... May have messed up big time...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redeeminglove

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all!
I'm a new member to SDN but can already tell how helpful this network is.
That being said, I applied for this '13-'14 cycle and have had 3 interviews (Iowa, UIC, SIU) pre-Dec but suddenly realized that I may have NO SHOT of getting in this cycle due to sheer stupidity.

I just graduated this past December with a major in Business Admin and a minor in Biology. I decided to pursue dentistry really late.... Turns out, I might have just screwed myself over because I planned on taking Organic Chem II and Anat & Phys II this coming spring at a community college to save some money.

The reason why I think I messed up big time is because UIC and SIU may not even offer me acceptance until they see that I finished Orgo II and A&P II.... which won't be until May....

Undergrad oGPA and sGPA around 3.94
DAT: AA (20), TS (19), RC (22), PAT (20)

I just want to kick myself for putting so much money and effort in to have it potentially wasted on such a DUMB mistake... lack of preparation... etc. (I applied to 11 schools = $$$$)

Thoughts? Any UIC/SIU-ers who got in without certain prereqs fulfilled before getting the acceptance letter? Any hope for me?

Thanks....

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you finish them as planned you should be fine.
You do not have to have your pre-reqs finished before receiving an acceptance letter...you just do before you matriculate.

Or did I misunderstand your dilemma?

Those schools didn't interview you for no reason, and they knew exactly what they were doing when they invited you.

If you're accepted it will be contingent upon the completion of those prereqs prior to matriculation.

Congrats on scoring a few pre Dec interviews...now have a drink and relax.

But if you do get the big nod, make sure taking those science courses at a CC won't put the kaibosh on your dreams.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you finish them as planned you should be fine.
You do not have to have your pre-reqs finished before receiving an acceptance letter...you just do before you matriculate.

Or did I misunderstand your dilemma?

I know many schools require the pre-reqs completed prior to matriculation, but from what SIU and UIC's websites say, I believe they want their prereqs completed before an admission. =/

Those schools didn't interview you for no reason, and they knew exactly what they were doing when they invited you.

If you're accepted it will be contingent upon the completion of those prereqs prior to matriculation.

Congrats on scoring a few pre Dec interviews...now have a drink and relax.

But if you do get the big nod, make sure taking those science courses at a CC won't put the kaibosh on your dreams.

Thanks for your thoughts... Just hoping that the prereqs are due prior to matriculation and not just prior to admission, as their websites seem to say.
And thankfully, both schools accept CC credit just so long as most of my prereqs are completed at a 4-year institution.

Well you won't know until you call them and ask. Nobody on here can tell you but that would also show continued interest in the school as well, which some schools really like.

Well you won't know until you call them and ask. Nobody on here can tell you but that would also show continued interest in the school as well, which some schools really like.

Thanks, chill45. I guess I'm a bit chicken to point it out to the schools, and even if I wanted to, I can't until Jan 2nd or 3rd. It is difficult to not stress... no matter how small this may be in the long run.

Admission = matriculation and not acceptance? There's a difference. Doesn't hurt to call and ask anonymously.

Reactions: 1 users
Got accepted to UIC without physics done. And A&P is not a prereq for either school

Reactions: 1 user
SIU made me an offer without my academic update confirming I had taken biochem after I applied. I would assume they wouldn't stress over you not having organic

Reactions: 1 user
Got accepted to UIC without physics done. And A&P is not a prereq for either school

SIU made me an offer without my academic update confirming I had taken biochem after I applied. I would assume they wouldn't stress over you not having organic

Thank you to you both, seriously! BIG load off my shoulders.

I didn't realize admission = matriculation! Thank you, y3ndo!

Well you can be admitted as early as December, but matriculation (the start of school) is not until July or August. So you can be admitted without having all your pre-reqs done (doesn't usually happen but since you already took the DAT and scored well on it, that is the situation where it could) but you will be required to finish them this next semester. You could potentially finish them in a first session summer class but that is cutting it pretty close. I can't remember if someone said this already but check because some schools won't allow you to take pre-reqs at community college, and depending on your degree your college may not let you take them either and still get you bachelor's degree. I had to take the last 30 hours or something at my university to get my degree.

Sounds like you still have a lot to figure out, which is fine because there is a lot of fine print with applying to dental school. I applied last year to around 17 schools with 3 interviews (2 waitlist and 1 acceptance). I really did not want to go to the school I was accepted to for a couple reasons (pm if you want to know more) so I took the chance and reapplied. I learned a lot the first time around and this year I applied to 3 schools with 2 acceptances on day 1 and 1 waitlist. With your grades I wouldn't worry too much about it. I ended up taking this year and working at a tech at an oral surgeons office. I am learning a lot, taking a break, and haven't been more excited to start school now. Yeah it puts me a year behind but that year is a small portion of time and money lost for a hopefully long career.