Help me be realistic...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJ2D2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, apologies if starting this thread violates etiquette in some way. I rarely use forums, so this is new to me.

I'm a non-trad interested in trying to get into med school, and I just want to make sure I'm being realistic about what this will involve and what my odds of success are before I put years and possibly tens of thousands of dollars into preparing.

I have a bachelor's degree from several years ago, and suffice to say my record is mediocre/spotty. Many good grades in pre-med courses but also littered with dropped courses, a few Cs, a D, and even an F. I wasn't a great student and I know it. Fast-forward 7ish years, and I'm (I'd like to think) much more mature and dedicated than during that degree. I've been taking upper level math and science courses while working full-time and acing them. I'm considering trying to get into a post-bac/pre-med program.

Assuming I can actually gain acceptance to a PBPM (and do well in it) and get a solid MCAT score, can any of this ever outweigh my initial undergrad record? I am willing and able to put the time and effort into proving myself, but will anything be enough, or have I already hurt my chances irretrievably?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

There are plenty of stories like yours on this board, so welcome.

What's your cumulative GPA right now, out of curiosity? What's your science GPA? How far in the grade-hole are you? Starting from a 3.3 is different than starting from, say, a 2.5.

I actually had to calculate these because I didn't know for sure, just knew they weren't good. Overall GPA came from 2 diff institutions, 3.757 @ a 2-yr college, then 3.113 @ a 4-yr U. Science GPA is 3.147 if you count statistics and don't count math courses. I'm not including my recent courses (not part of that degree) with are Calc 1-3 with A's in all 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA is every class at college level that you ever took. Include the Calcs.

sGPA is all science classes, upper and lower.

If you search, SDN has many GPA calculators you can use. Just plug in all your classes. It's sometimes difficult to calculate on your own as the more credits you have the less it budges.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, I'll have to look up one of those calculators!

I need to see your numbers before offering advice. But there are plenty of med schools that reward reinvention. Your fastest path to being a doctor is by retaking all F/D/C science coursework and aiming for DO schools.