Help me choose! MPH fields of study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I want to do a MPH, but I'm having a very hard time deciding what area of study to concentrate the MPH in.

Community Health or Epidemiology. Seems like most people are doing Epidemiology. What are the job prospects for both? Is one any more difficult or more respected than the other?

Members don't see this ad.

1st, ask yourself what it is that you want to accomplish with your MPH. Epidemiology is typically more research oriented; whereas community health is more education. From my experience, I have found there are more jobs in Epi and not to mention more $$. But you need to figure out what it is you want out of a career in public health and what your interests are, then choose the concentration.

Hihi!

There's plenty of choices in MPH - you need to choose what is right for you. I took a lot of science in undergrad, but I decided I liked sociology and business more - so I ended up choosing Health Policy and Management as my field of study. There's more than just that, epidemiology and community health too. There's also biostatistics, among others. I would suggest thinking about what kind of subjects you liked in undergrad, and match that up as best you can in an MPH focus. I hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still having a hard time deciding. My goal is to eventually work as a President of a Hospital. I want to oversee all departments and be the administrative point of contact for all health-care related issues. I want to work in the development of hospital programs and also play a role in community programs that benefit the area and hospital by providing a partnership approach to preventative care.

SO, I am confused about which MPH program will help me best in that role. Of course, I'd like to do all of that after I retire as a MD. That is another problem in and of itself and I didn't have much luck applying to Med Schools in the past year. And also, I'd like to not be poor if I decide to work using my MPH, if the Med Shcool thing doesn't work out. So, I'm MPH bound for now.

What do you think??? Any opinon at all. Within the MPH field, I am considering Epidemiology, Community Health, and Public Health Administration.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

If your goal is to run a hospital, have you considered a MHA (Master of Health Administration) as part of a business program? That seems more suited for what you are trying to accomplish. You said you're having trouble getting into med school? Why not get the masters first then apply to med school? That way if you still do not get in, then you always have something else to fall back on. With a MHA or MPH, you don't need to be an MD to find a job, especially the type of work you are wanting to do.
Best of luck!

Given your goals, I would try for an MPH in Health Policy Administration. You can go into hospital administration without an MD.

If medical school is a goal, I would be sure to pursue that degree at a SPH that is directly affiliated with a medical school. As I have said before, find the faculty members who are dual appointed faculty and ask them for assistance. It worked for me - your milage may vary.

- H

FoughtFyr said:
Given your goals, I would try for an MPH in Health Policy Administration. You can go into hospital administration without an MD.

If medical school is a goal, I would be sure to pursue that degree at a SPH that is directly affiliated with a medical school. As I have said before, find the faculty members who are dual appointed faculty and ask them for assistance. It worked for me - your milage may vary.

- H

FoughtFyr,
Great advice! Thanks.

I'm close to making a decision, but something's holding me back. I keep hearing that Epidemiology is the most high paying subfield within a Public Health Education than anything else. And I don't know if a Med School is going to look favorably upon anything not Epi related since there won't be a whole lot of science aspect to non-Epi related studies within the MPH degree.

Does anybody know what the salary ranges are for the different subfields withing Public Health? And is it true, that Med Schools are more partial to Epidemiology as a study withing the MPH?

rocker said:
FoughtFyr,
Great advice! Thanks.

I'm close to making a decision, but something's holding me back. I keep hearing that Epidemiology is the most high paying subfield within a Public Health Education than anything else. And I don't know if a Med School is going to look favorably upon anything not Epi related since there won't be a whole lot of science aspect to non-Epi related studies within the MPH degree.

Does anybody know what the salary ranges are for the different subfields withing Public Health? And is it true, that Med Schools are more partial to Epidemiology as a study withing the MPH?

I would think HPA would be the highest salary. Healthcare consulting and healthcare admin. are lucarative. Do you know what a hospital CEO or COO makes? That said, entry level pay for epi is definately better.

As a former adcom member, imho, any emphasis is as good as another. For HPA, issues of QI/QA, JCAHO compliance (esp. ORYX data), and patient flow are current medical school administration favorites. But just about anything can be used. Find an MD/MPH mentor at your school, in whatever department you choose, and follow their lead.

- H