Help Me Choose Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hide

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You've got to at least give us a rough school list. We aren't going to do all of the work for you.

Reactions: 1 user
You've got to at least give us a rough school list. We aren't going to do all of the work for you.

Sorry.. I do have rough list.. should've included that! I want to narrow down the list to about 20 schools give or take. I'm willing to add other schools not listed as well.
Edit: Also schools are listed by 10%ileMCAT (lowest to highest).

Louisville
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
UNC - Chapel Hill
UCLA
Thomas Jefferson
Dartmouth
Albert Einstein
Baylor
Emory
Duke
Northwestern
UVA
Cornell
Johns Hopkins
Vandy
Columbia
Yale
Harvard
Case Western
CCLCM
Icahn
Chicago (Pritzker)
UPenn
WashU

Members don't see this ad :)
Your list is certainly top heavy but you have great stats. I would cut your 5 off the top but that is just me. If you have the money then apply to them as well but your list will have to be longer than 20 with so many top 10s and 20s. I'd pick ~3 schools in the top 10, ~7 in the 10-20 range, and 10 in the 20-40 range. Apply to the schools in your UG state even though you are applying international too. As you likely know, just be on the lookout for schools that don't typically accept internationals.

Well @thegypsyqueen I made the list trying to avoid schools with escrows but kept the ones I liked. Why would you take off the top five? One of them is in the same state as my undergrad; currently my undergrad only accepts US citizens and permanent residents.

Can I get @Goro and @gyngyn to chime in?

What's your state of residence? Definitely go for your state school, and all those surrounding!
Goro suggests:

St. Louis
BU
USF Morsani
Thomas Jefferson
Dartmouth
Albert Einstein
Emory
Duke
Northwestern
Pitt
NYU
Cornell
Johns Hopkins OR Harvard OR Yale OR Penn OR Wash U
Vandy
Loyola
Tulane
Columbia
Cornell
Case Western
Icahn

Reactions: 1 user
Well @thegypsyqueen I made the list trying to avoid schools with escrows but kept the ones I liked. Why would you take off the top five? One of them is in the same state as my undergrad; currently my undergrad only accepts US citizens and permanent residents.

Can I get @Goro and @gyngyn to chime in?
I'd take some off the top, Goro seems to agree, because applying to JH, Harvard, WU, Penn, Columbia, Chicago, and Yale really eats up a lot of the schools you can apply to. Anyone's odds at these schools, even with great stats, is very small. Everyone guns for these schools even though they are wildly different and obviously are being chosen for prestige and not program. I am not saying that you shouldn't go for some reaches or that prestige doesn't matter, but at the end of the day you are already at a disadvantage and I think having more "target" schools is nessecary if you don't want to be left out in the cold.

Your application is great, but be careful not to get too cocky with that MCAT, because some schools may average them together (making it a 33). Keep whatever top 20s you want (at the expense of money and time), but be sure to add your state schools, some private school safeties, and mid-tiers.

What's your state of residence? Definitely go for your state school, and all those surrounding!
Goro suggests:

St. Louis
BU
USF Morsani
Thomas Jefferson
Dartmouth
Albert Einstein
Emory
Duke
Northwestern
Pitt
NYU
Cornell
Johns Hopkins OR Harvard OR Yale OR Penn OR Wash U
Vandy
Loyola
Tulane
Columbia
Cornell
Case Western
Icahn

Well I'm in Ohio right now, but went to school in NC.