Help me name my Extended Major!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lodo.owl

Above all, be human.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Constructing my own extended major and need help picking a name for it. Classes included (bolded have been completed) are:

PreMed Sciences: Bio 1, Gen Chem 1&2, Org Chem 1&2, Biochem 1, Anatomy & Phys 1&2, Advanced Phys, Cadaver Anatomy, Physics 1&2
Integrative Healthcare: Medical Terminology; Herbal Medicine; Dynamics of Health; Holistic Health; Health Society & the Environment, Clinical Pathophysiology
Healthcare Management: Healthcare Organization, Principles of Marketing, Professional Practice Management, Healthcare Jurisprudence
Mathematics: Algebra/Trig, Statistics, Calc 1.
+ 2 years of French
+ General studies requirements (which include Intro to Psych, Intro to Sociology, year of essay based English)

I was thinking something like
Holistic Medical Practice & Management?
Integrative Medical Leadership?
Comprehensive Medical... uh?
I'm stuck.

Any and all suggestions would be super appreciated! Also any feedback as to if you think Calc is a want or need is welcomed as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The Science and Business of Healthcare

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
you should look up the requirements of schools that you are considering applying to in order to see if Calc is listed. That being said i'm surprised algebra and trig are your math classes in college. Where I go calc is the lowest class offered

Is naming your own major a thing??

At my school, yup it is! They offer an individualized degree program where you can undergo a long (albeit lengthy) process of constructing your own major from a variety of different programs to fit your needs.

you should look up the requirements of schools that you are considering applying to in order to see if Calc is listed. That being said i'm surprised algebra and trig are your math classes in college. Where I go calc is the lowest class offered

College Algebra and Trig are naturally requirements for a lot of the science courses, and although I completed Algebra and Trig in HS it wasn't considered college level mathematics so I retook them my Freshman year.

Last edited:
You should include Calc 1.

Maybe something like:
Integrative Healthcare & Management -- short, simple, and to the point.

Reactions: 1 users
You should include Calc 1.

Maybe something like:
Integrative Healthcare & Management -- short, simple, and to the point.

I would love it, except the programs I'm pulling the classes from are called Integrative Healthcare and Healthcare Management, so I've been trying to sound somewhat different from them. It's proved more difficult than I initially thought it'd be lol.

I wouldn’t use the word “holistic” or “integrative”. Those are the buzz words give me the hibbie jibbies, even though they maybe fine. I would keep it more general, but I am not on the admission committee of anything right now....

Do the committee members care what the name of your major is, if you are a superstar with your pre-reqs?

I wouldn’t use the word “holistic” or “integrative”. Those are the buzz words give me the hibbie jibbies, even though they maybe fine. I would keep it more general, but I am not on the admission committee of anything right now....

Do the committee members care what the name of your major is, if you are a superstar with your pre-reqs?

The word holistic kind of smells like the inside of a Whole Foods, and I've tried to make it sound less like I have dreadlocks (nothing against them I just don't).

I don't think it'll give me much more of a one-up in regards to any admission committees (besides that maybe they'll think it's unique), it's more for myself. My grades are great regardless, but I'd like to encapsulate my three major focuses during my undergraduate in a short and sweet title.

Regarding what the above posters said, I would also put science (or something) in the name to make it sound more difficult or less "hippy". "Medical science and management". "Medical science and healthcare management" "Healthcare management and human sciences". None of these sound great to me but might inspire you?

Regarding what the above posters said, I would also put science (or something) in the name to make it sound more difficult or less "hippy".

Instead of integrative or holistic, what about Comprehensive Medical Science and Management?

Instead of integrative or holistic, what about Comprehensive Medical Science and Management?
"integrative healthcare" is an actual term. I agree that "holistic" is ehh. I have an M.S. in Medical Sciences, so that is definitely a thing.

Comprehensive Medical Sciences & Management sounds fine, idk if you need the "comprehensive" tbh. If you have it or not, it won't make or break you. Personal preference I suppose.

Members don't see this ad :)
The word holistic kind of smells like the inside of a Whole Foods, and I've tried to make it sound less like I have dreadlocks (nothing against them I just don't).

I don't think it'll give me much more of a one-up in regards to any admission committees (besides that maybe they'll think it's unique), it's more for myself. My grades are great regardless, but I'd like to encapsulate my three major focuses during my undergraduate in a short and sweet title.

If your grades are fine. I would definitely take calculus.... why not? And also some schools may actually require it.

Healthcare sciences? Something something -ology? Dig deep.

If your grades are fine. I would definitely take calculus.... why not?

Agreed. It was between Calc or another elective, and I think Calc will definitely be more useful down the road, especially if I do decide to apply to schools that require it.

Name it "Doctor of Medicine" then you won't need to go to medical school :p

Reactions: 4 users
At my school, yup it is! They offer an individualized degree program where you can undergo a long (albeit lengthy) process of constructing your own major from a variety of different programs to fit your needs.
Brown?

Update: Per the ER doc I am currently scribing with, the major will be named "Pre-World Domination" :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Outside of the anatomy classes, you didn't take any non-preq science classes, so I would leave those descriptors out of the name. (Also you should add Calc 2 as others said). Unless you named it "Healthcare Sciences" then I thought it would be fine.

I would lean towards "Healthcare" X. Healthcare Management, Healthcare Administration, Healthcare Operations Management, etc.

But it it really comprehensive? If so, then why do master's programs exist? If you make it sound too fantastic, I think you run the risk of AdComs just rolling their eyes and dismissing it entirely. Try to give it an accurate title.

But it it really comprehensive? If so, then why do master's programs exist? If you make it sound too fantastic, I think you run the risk of AdComs just rolling their eyes and dismissing it entirely. Try to give it an accurate title.

I’m omitting comprehensive, I’ve decided after talking with some docs at work. There’s not really a good synonym of “holistic” that doesn’t either sound like you could sell it at Whole Foods or that loses the meaning completely.

“Medical Sciences and Management” is short, pretty all encapsulating, and to the point.

Reactions: 1 users
I would love it, except the programs I'm pulling the classes from are called Integrative Healthcare and Healthcare Management, so I've been trying to sound somewhat different from them. It's proved more difficult than I initially thought it'd be lol.

Why is this a problem? If anything, I think that's the best idea, because the name of your major will directly represent the material it is covering. Trying to get creative just because you want to sound different will probably just lead to you having more difficulty explaining your course of study to people down the line. I say this as someone with a degree in a pretty niche discipline that most people have never heard of (and I didn't even invent it!) - the more straightforward your major name is, the easier it will be to explain in the future.