Help me Out guys for MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonzybuddy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody
I have applied to Florida international university for MPH. I got mail from them yesterday for choosing sub plans.I don't know about them , which is good or more earning in future.
Following are plans they have sent me.
Academic Sub-Plan
Description
MBIOSTATS
Biostatistics (MPH)
MENVOCCHTH
Environment & Occup Hlth (MPH)
MEPIDEMIOL
Epidemiology (MPH)
MGENERAL
Public Health Generalist
MHLTPOMGMT
Health Policy & Mgmt (MPH)
MHTHPROM
Health Prom & Disea Prev - MPH
MPUBHONLIN
Generalist MPH Online

Members don't see this ad.

This is a choice we really can't make for you because they tracks are all VERY different. You need to research each one and figure out what's the right fit for your goals in the future. Once you have it narrowed down and have a good idea of what you want out of the program, come back here and ask specific questions which others can help you out with.

I agree with Stories, each public health tract is pretty different. It really depends on what you want to do and what type of agency you want to work for.

As far as making the most money, I would think Biostatistics or Epidemiology might be your best bet especially if you have a clinical background. But that's just a guess. Health Education/Social Health will probably make you the least amount of money right away, but if you can move up the chain of command you can still make a decent living.

This is a choice we really can't make for you because they tracks are all VERY different. You need to research each one and figure out what's the right fit for your goals in the future. Once you have it narrowed down and have a good idea of what you want out of the program, come back here and ask specific questions which others can help you out with.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find it somewhat strange you would apply to a public health program and have no idea about any of the concentrations...

Whatever you do dont ask the school which one will make the most money...

I agree with the above posts. Specializations are very different - where I went, concentrations had a huge impact on your curriculum. I focused on policy and financing - advanced financial evaluation studies became my life. Perhaps that's why an MPH is seen as a credential, b/c one actually learns a few practical skills.

It doesn't sound like you're too interested PH though, are you doing this to better your chances applying to med schools? Re. $$ the biggest factor is whether you work for govt, un, pharma, or an NGO. The first three pay fairly well. But epidemiologists and biostat.'s are always in demand, so that's a plus.

But unless you have a good reason to go, get some more work experience first:) You might decide to get an MBA instead. Don't waste your money on school until you have a serious goal.