Help me out with this decision (MD vs. DO acceptance)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HamOnWholeWheat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I appreciate your opinions on this, as I'm having a hell of a time with this one.

I've interviewed at two schools and anticipate acceptance at both (I know wishful thinking). Here's the deal:

SIU - MD School, weak city (springfield, IL), great curriculum, PBL, early patient contact. Overall, the school is awesome, the city is not. Tuition: $16,000 + low COL

CCOM - DO School, great city, great curriculum, PBL, not-as-early patient contact. Another awesome school but in a great city too. Tuition: $25,000 + high COL

I honestly like the DO philosophy, but SIU teaches a curriculum based entirely around patient care (the focus is clinical medicine from day one). The people are great at both schools, and I know scholastically I'd be happy at both. So really, it comes down to $, location, and degree.

Would it be worth an extra $9,000 + high COL /yr to live in a better city and get a DO instead of an MD degree? Thanks for your opinions.

HamOn

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if you really want to be a DO, then go to CCOM. In the end, you will be way in debt anyway, so what's a bit more gonna hurt, if you are living your dream. If you are the kind of person, and I don't think you are, who cares about the letters after your name, I don't think you would belong at CCOM.

It all comes down to where you want to be, and how comfortable you will feel at the school. Personally, I would rather be in a smaller town for my 2 years in class. I wouldn't base it on that, though. If you are single, then the COL is kind of a non-issue. Apartment rent is pretty much the same everywhere (unless, and this is a big unless, you are in a city center, or in an impacted area, ie SanFran, I personally don't know what Chicago is like). Base your decision on where you will be happy as a student, not on how much it costs.

Good luck in your decision.

WBDO

i'm facing a similar situation..
i've been accepted to the following two schools:

MD school- 5 hours away from home, out of state, great reputation- great clinical exp. early on, etc- hospital in good place

DO school- 1.5 hours away from home, in state, also good reputation, good clinical experience, hospital in 'scary' place.
scholarship (small one)

the decision would be easy for me if the MD school wasn't so far away... this may sound really corny and some of you may say that it's not a good reason to decide between schools- but i've been in a relationship w/ someone for 3 years- and i want him to come with me if i go away- he sounds receptive- but if he decides he doesn't want to go- i'll be pretty upset- and faced w/ a hard decision...

i still have time to decide though... good luck to the OP on their decision :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm definately pro-DO, but I don't think I'd go DO for the 36K+ extra price tag. On the other hand, I'm not sure I like a whole lot of PBL (only in small amounts for me). Tough decision, best of luck.

I think another thing you need to consider is what you plan to specialize in. If you want to do EM or surgery, you may not be using alot of OMT. But a FP has alot more opportunities for OMT. I do think the DO training is a good background for any doctor, and some MDs use continuing ed to study. You just don't want any regrets after spending big bucks, time, and effort. My whole praise of DO schools is the practical applications of OMT, and being more able to identify how two different symptoms may be connected by one cause in patients.

Take a look at it from another perspective. If both schools cost the same amount of money, which one would you be happiest at? Don't make the decision based on the money, it may make you regret the decision, either way that you go.

things to consider:

1.) CURRICULUM (Problem based learning vs. traditional vs. combination)
2.) Weather (e.g. snow vs sunshine)
3.) Location (rural, suburban, urban setting)
4.) Expense of Living
5.) Location of living arrangements (possible)
6.) Faculty availability/reputation
7.) Number of 3/4 year rotation sites
8.) Location of 3/4 year rotation sites
9.) Tuition costs
10.) Perceived happiness of current students
11.) Estimated happiness of self
12.) % of students passing boards on the first try.
13.) % of students landing their first choice residencies.
14.) Proximity of support system
15.) Opportunities for extracurricular involvement
16.) Opportunities for research (if this interests you)
17.) Opportunities for early clinical exposure
18.) Availability and cleanliness of Campus Facilities
19.) Availability of technological services on-campus
20.) Class size/school size
21.) Grading system

no doubt about it, go for MD. its no secret that the DO is not as popular as the MD as just like anything else in life, its the market value that matters.