Help Me Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello All

I am in my last year of pharmacy school. I am planning on applying for residency. However unfortunately our school has not really told us how/what/where/when to apply.

I am class president, non-profit organization president, over 10 student club involvement from p1 year until now, research experience for two years in pharmacy school and 4.0 GPA.

Can anybody please help me to find a program right for me and how the process works please.

Thank You

I would start at the ASHP resident information website. This should answer a lot of your basic questions...
http://www.ashp.org/residents?WT.ac=hp_PopLinks_Resident_Information
Search the directory, sign up for the match, and register for Midyear.

You sound like you would be a decent candidate (maybe lacking work experience?). I don't think anyone can tell you what programs are best to apply to because a lot of that depends on what you are looking to get out of a residency. I am shocked your school hasn't helped you with all this stuff. My school started preparing us when we were in our 1st yr. Do you have an advisor at school that can help, or maybe a preceptor/other faculty that can help?

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for your response. I will have 2000 hours of intern/tech experience by my graduation and 600 hours of volunteer hours from pre pharmacy days. We are on rotations and out of our home state, it is very hard to get in touch with anyone.

You did all that crap during pharmacy school and never once thought about residency stuff until now? Seriously, you never saw the ACCP/ASHP databases until now? Wtf. I really don't understand most pharmacy students.

You did all that crap during pharmacy school and never once thought about residency stuff until now? Seriously, you never saw the ACCP/ASHP databases until now? Wtf. I really don't understand most pharmacy students.

Scooby-Doo-tv-06.jpg

Questions I thought about when applying for a residency (and visiting with programs at Midyear):

1.) Do I want to teach? If so, to who? (students, other healthcare professionals, pharmacists?). Do they offer a teaching cert? If you would like to teach, think about an academic medical center. I interviewed at 9 places (way way too many) and my top three rankings were university programs. Figure out what you like ahead of time.

2.) Do I want to have co-residents? Some programs may have only one resident and others might have upwards of 10-15+. I prefer co-residents because it helps make the transition to a new place easier and lets me have someone to talk to when times get tough.

3.) What PGY2s are offered? Are there any specialties I am interested in? I wasn't sure at the time, but if you do, research.

4.) Do I like am care, acute care, or a little bit of both? I wanted a hospital with a higher acuity and more crit care, you might have different feelings.

5.) How many beds? Do I want to work in a small, medium, or large hospital? This can also play into how many pharmacists/preceptors you will have the opportunity to work with.

6.) What rotations are offered? Elective and required? Are these experiences that would be good for me? My program had a stellar Peds presence, something I had no experience with.

7.) Pay and cost of living. Even though this shouldn't be a top priority, you have to figure out if you can afford it!

8.) What are the people like that I will interact with on a daily basis? This was actually what sold me on my program, and something I only discovered during the course of the interview.

9.) What are my on-call responsibilities? How long will I be expected to hold on to a pager, if there is one?

I am sure that I had others, but if you have any questions, let me know! Good luck with your decision!