This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFWTF

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a US Citizen, no visa issues, location is not important. Below is a tentative list but please give your input.
If I match in IM I plan to do a cardiology or allergy/immunology fellowship.
If I match in FM I plan to do a sports medicine or ER fellowship.

1) UPMC Hamot - Emergency Medicine
2) Coliseum Medical Center (Macon GA) - Internal Medicine
3) Morehouse - Family Medicine
4) UND Fargo - Family Medicine
5) Baptist Memorial (golden triangle) - Internal Medicine
6) Howard - Family Medicine
7) St Elizabeth (Utica NY) - Family Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a US Citizen, no visa issues, location is not important. Below is a tentative list but please give your input.
If I match in IM I plan to do a cardiology or allergy/immunology fellowship.
If I match in FM I plan to do a sports medicine or ER fellowship.

1) UPMC Hamot - Emergency Medicine
2) Coliseum Medical Center (Macon GA) - Internal Medicine
3) Morehouse - Family Medicine
4) UND Fargo - Family Medicine
5) Baptist Memorial (golden triangle) - Internal Medicine
6) Howard - Family Medicine
7) St Elizabeth (Utica NY) - Family Medicine

Would you rather be an IM, family, or ER doc? I'd say that's the most relevant factor.

Would you rather be an IM, family, or ER doc? I'd say that's the most relevant factor.
thank you for your reply, so i applied for combined EM/IM and EM/FM programs but didn't get any interviews... i'm in a bit of a dilemma actually, I love EM, IM, and FM. I can't really pick just one honestly.
what I am passionate about is humanitarian work, bedside or point of care ultrasound and research (published and presented numerous papers and posters) and all of these specialities will provide that, it's a matter of who has an edge. UND Fargo PD LOVES missionary, humanitarian work and has clinics set up at all of my favorite places abroad and is setting up POCUS but its a new program so I'm not quite sure what this program's future holds.
in terms of research, morehouse is great but no ultrasound training and no real international elective opportunities.

one of the hardest decisions i've had to make.

I don't think anyone can (or would want to) give you specific advice here - you have a very wide geographic catchment (North Dakota, Georgia, NY) and a wide variety of programs in 3 different specialties. I know it is difficult to come to a decision, but I would argue the first thing you need to figure out is what specialty you are most interested in - even your subspecialty interests have minimal connection to each other (FM sports, cardiology, allergy and POC U/S?!). You start to do this in the post above, but make a pro and con list for each specialty and be honest with yourself - what are your goals 5, 10 and even 20 years down the road? Do you want to be based primarily out of a hospital (emergency medicine) or have your own outpatient clinic (allergy, primary care). Do you want to be a procedurals (cardiology, and not so much allergy) You say geography doesn't play a role, but think beyond residency and fellowship - are you comfortable doing a FM-based EM fellowship knowing most if not all urban and suburban emergency departments will not allow you to work there (based on MANY threads on this topic on this very forum, look some of them up)?

Once you decide on a general field then compare the programs you visited in those fields with a pro/con list - where did you feel most comfortable and get most excited thinking about? Hopefully this will help you move in the right direction in terms of a rank list.

Status
Not open for further replies.