Help me to choose schools [MD]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcpark12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,
I am a 25 years old, ORM, Texas resident, and I wanted to get some feedback from you guys whether if I am applying strategically. Let me know if there are any red flags or recommendations.

Here are my stats-
MCATs: I have taken 3 MCATs so far one being 497 (2015), 497 (2016), 507 (2019).
Undergrad GPA: cGPA - 3.41 sGPA - 3.22. *Significant upward trend; towards Junior year and Senior year I was hitting >3.8 GPA
M.S. Biomedical Science GPA [SMP] GPA: 4.0 at the University of Northern Colorado (30 credit hours)
***If SMP is taken into consideration, new cGPA and sGPA are both at 3.71 based on AMCAS GPA Calculator

Research Experience: I did a inorganic chemistry research for my school for a semester, and got to present our research in National American Chemical Society meeting.

Clinical Experience:
Bereavement Assistant at a Hospice (part-time) for 6 months (480 hrs) where I sent bereavement letters and helped organizing patient data. While working, I volunteered (~18 hours) for a camp for children and family who lost their member of the family.

Emergency department scribe (part-time) for 6 months (480 hrs) while enrolled as a full-time student all during my senior year.

Emergency department scribe at another hospital(part-time) for 6 months (480 hrs),

Ophthalmic technician (full-time) for 6 months (~1000 hrs).

Rec letters and references: I have strong recommendation letters from my professors, and a ophthalmic surgeon who I worked for.

List of Schools:
All Texas Schools through TMDSAS

MD:

George Washington University of Medicine and Health Sciences
Howard University College of Medicine
Creighton University School of Medicine
Meharry Medical College
Tulane University School of Medicine
Albany Medical College
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
University of Arizona College of Medicine
Rush Medial College of Rush Universtiy Medical Center
Drexel University College of Medicine
Virignia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine
Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
The Commonwealth Medical College
University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences
University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Medicine
Morehouse School of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine

Please let me know! Thanks for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Howard, Morehouse and Meharry accept mainly applicants from the African American community. Arizona, Virginia Tech, U Washington, North Dakota, Missouri accept very few (if any) non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. You should also apply broadly to DO schools and include all these:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
ICOM
UIWSOM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
BCOM
ATSU-SOMA
MU-COM
Sam Houston State (when they begin accepting applications later this year)

Reactions: 1 user