Help me with picking schools!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do5ct1or0

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I need people's help with making a decision. I have interviewed at KCUMB and Touro Nevada, and have an interview at PNWU in January. After spending a lot of money on applications this cycle, I would like people's opinions on PNWU in relation to the other schools I have interviewed at; if it does not live up to the other schools, then perhaps I won't attend that interview to save money. I will learn of both other schools' decisions before the New Year.

I would like to know what people think about TUN vs KCUMB as well, as that is also something I cannot seem to find good ways to distinguish between.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

My opinion:

KCU>TUN>>>>PWNU.

Yakima is..... let's just say interesting...

My opinion:

KCU>TUN>>>>PWNU.

Yakima is..... let's just say interesting...

For KCUMB, I am being considered for the Joplin campus, which does not provide any sort of research opportunities. The dean from KCUMB is now the Dean at TUN, which is why I was leaning slightly towards TUN. What are your reasons for KCU over TUN?

Members don't see this ad :)
For KCUMB, I am being considered for the Joplin campus, which does not provide any sort of research opportunities. The dean from KCUMB is now the Dean at TUN, which is why I was leaning slightly towards TUN. What are your reasons for KCU over TUN?

For the record, the new dean at TUNCOM is NOT the old dean of KCU. That was Dr. Dubin. The new dean of TUN used to be the clinical dean. I'm sure he will bring some facets of the curriculum but he isn't the same guy that developed the curriculum that brought high board scores to KCU and RVU.

Because you are considered for the Joplin campus then I think you should just go where you think you will fit best and it becomes a toss up at that point. I still say either of those two >>>>> PWNU.

Reactions: 1 users
it depends on your definition of "living up to." I've interviewed at all 3 and I think your decision would probably be made easier if you made a list of the top things that are most important to you.

if you're talking about reputation, KCU wins hands down. if you're talking about being established and having educated students in tried and true methods, same thing.

if you care about the area you end up and how safe it is and how accessible certain comforts are, TUN probably has more variety.

but if you're talking about individualized attention to each student, I think PNWU is stellar. like TUN, their match rate is 100% and they tend to focus more on rural medicine. yakima isn't a bustling city, but it isn't all that different from the feel of KC (in my opinion) if you explore the downtown area. PNWU is also PF in the first two years, and their class size is about the same as TUN and much smaller than KCU's (not sure about the Joplin campus though).

if you're really interested in research, I don't think any of them are going to provide opportunities without you taking extensive initiative (especially the Joplin campus).

as for the culture of each school and just how at home you feel, only you can answer that.

Reactions: 2 users
PNWU.... Hands down!!! 4 hour drive from North Cascades, 2 hour drive from any NFL/NBA/MLB/MLS game!!!! Also if I'm correct PNWU has a DO school....

PNWU.... Hands down!!! 4 hour drive from North Cascades, 2 hour drive from any NFL/NBA/MLB/MLS game!!!! Also if I'm correct PNWU has a DO school....

Have you ever actually lived in Yakima?

Don't forget though guys that unless OP has ties to the region at PWNU he will get last pick of rotation slots. The people with ties to a certain region are the ones who get that region and out of regioners basically get the left overs.

Have you ever actually lived in Yakima?

Don't forget though guys that unless OP has ties to the region at PWNU he will get last pick of rotation slots. The people with ties to a certain region are the ones who get that region and out of regioners basically get the left overs.

OP I'd listen to @AnatomyGrey12 His advise is solid! My post was solely to add a little humor. I've filled up on gas and got a bite to eat in Yakima. When I was there I never was in the mindset of "could I live here"....

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/ive-been-seeing-a-lot-of-this.1230588/

This thread is getting some attention. I think AG12 Comment about rotations goes along with a solid philosophy brought up on the thread (along with many other threads). My understanding though is Joplin has two hospitals it's tied into. This could be complete BS (maybe others can verify). But if it's true KCU might produce a healthy example of campus expansion.

Reactions: 1 user

I will be straight up with you right now. The research opps at the KC area are for basic sciences which with the current curriculum is largely difficulty to maintain. You're best bet is to do clinical research. Now you may think KC is better since there's more hospitals but in fact I would say Joplin is better because in KC you have two other MD schools that get first attention to the teaching hospitals. Joplin gains strength due to the strong affiliation with freeman hospital and the fact that it is a teaching hospital that will more than likely have/had research instilled and even more so now with the ACGME requirements for the merger.

You can get started right away with clinical research by contacting faculty at freeman health who I'm sure are looking forward to having medical students assist with projects.

TUN also has health systems but with UNLV SOM coming up TUN may be at a disadvantage. Just my two cents!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The fishing out in Yakima is outstanding @AnatomyGrey12 come on what are you blazing for. So many steelie and trout rivers within a days drive. Give yakima a chance!

lolol ive never been