Help: Medical School/Medical Profession v. Dental School/Dental Profession?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VortexGreen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior undergrad and have considered many career options during my time in school so far, but the one I have been most interested in and have been preparing for is being a physician. However, lately I find myself questioning whether being a doctor is really the best option for me and whether I have given dentistry enough thought. I have shadowed some docs, but never a dentist (I will soon). I know a lot of what to expect in medical school, but I do not know a lot of what to expect in dental school. I would like to be interested in the material I am to learn and practice. I feel I would be with medical school, but I am concerned the material in dental school may be, well, more boring. Although, dentistry as a practice may be interesting. Also, I am worried about the high number of hours/oncall requirement for many, but not all types of doctors, since I place a strong value on family and recreational time. On average, it seems that dentists have more free time, but is the work enjoyable? Is dental school exciting/interesting or boring? If other pre-dents, pre-meds, or matriculants of either types of school who have had a similar problem in deciding could help me by sharing what made you decide to go one way or the other I would appreciate it. Honest comments please. Thank you!

I don't care about any salary differences or how hard it is to get into one or the other types of schools, I care more about being interested in my work and being able to have a life outside of work.

Members don't see this ad.

I have shadowed some docs, but never a dentist (I will soon).

You don't need our advice to decide whether the profession is interesting to you or not. Just shadow a dentist or two and see for yourself.

I was in your same position a couple years ago. I shadowed some dentists and did some soul searching. Now im in dental school and im happy with my choice. I miss some things about being a physician, but for the lifestyle i want dentistry was the right choice. D school is not easy though. I thought coming into school it would be easier than med school would have been, but i was wrong. Our class load seems to be more intense the first two years compared to the med students. I would know this because i have some of my classes with them. Im not trying to take away from the med students, but d school is by no means easier. So just do some shadowing and chat up some dentists. In the end you'll know which path works for you. And if you still cant figure out what to do...become an oral surgeon.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are all great professions--------but, come check us out in the podiatry forums :) .......especially if you dunno what u wanna do.....Lot's of people don't even realize we exist, and it's such a great profession :D

**Leaving now, before I get jumped**
:laugh:

Thank you for the help! I am looking forward to shadowing more dental professionals during winter break to help me make up my mind.