Help! Minnesota vs Michigan vs Colorado?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kjann1515

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I have been recently admitted to UMN, UMich and UC for their pharmacy programs. It has been hard to decide which school would be best fit for me so I wanted to ask for some help from current students and graduates from these schools or pharmacists that are practicing in these geographical areas.
I am from California, so OOS for all three schools. I am hoping to come back to California to practice.. but I have heard that it is much harder for people who got their degrees OOS. Which school would be most suitable if I were to come back to Cali after completing the program?

Minnesota - Twin Cities
1. Cold
2. Many opportunities to get involved with national competitions
3. Only pharmacy school in MN! - does that mean more job/internship opportunities?
4. Innovative
5. But seemed like they wanted to offer services exclusively to those in MN.
6. Avg class size (~120 for TC campus)
7. Access to 7 hospitals in the area (including Mayo Clinic)
8. Uses iTV for lectures (I'm not sure if I like that)

Michigan
1. Also cold..
2. name value
3. Small class size (~80)
4. required research project (which I consider a pro)
5. Great hospital close to campus
6. Almost half of grads go for residency
7. Many scholarship opportunities

Colorado
1. Relatively closer to California
2. IS tuition after 1st year
3. Most mild weather out of these three choices..
4. Great hospitals close to campus!
5. Inter-professional education is incorporated in their curriculum
6. Class size is pretty big (~160)
7. required research project

Many people say to choose the cheapest school (for me, it would be Oregon State) but I am looking into residency after graduating and I was hoping to get advice on which school would prepare me best for that.
Any comments, advices and suggestions would be very appreciated! Thanks a lot in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

i would say either Minnesota or Michigan since they're great schools. Colorado is also great too, however I had friends that went to Michigan and got into great residency programs and did lots of opportunities at Mich too. Minnesota is pretty nice since you said it has access to 7 hospitals. It will give you lots of experience and opportunities.

Curious, why do you consider a research project a pro?

Members don't see this ad :)
Curious, why do you consider a research project a pro?

Hmm, I think it would open up a lot of opportunities for me to get involved with research in the future. Also, wouldn't it be another good thing to put on your CV?

I am also trying to make a decision between Michigan and Colorado. Any help would much be appreciated!