Help Please: Hawaiian on the East Coast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalenakai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have been pushing back a bunch of my East Coast interviews so that I can do them all in one fell swoop. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on transportation / lodging for the following tentative travel schedule, please? Perhaps also where I can find cheap buys for very WARM HEAVY winter coats... remember, it hardly ever dips below 65 in Hawaii :)

My tentative travel schedule:
1/18W: Depart HI
1/19Th: Arrive NY
1/20F: Mt Sinai Interview
1/21Sa: See NYC
1/22Su: Travel NY to PA (by Greyhound or Amtrak?)
1/23M: Drexel Interview (I begged them this morning to squeeze me in, despite the lady saying the earliest available was March! Thank you, thank you)
1/24T: Travel PA to NY (by Greyhound) OR Travel PA to NH (by Airplane/Amtrak)
1/25W: Travel NY to NH (by Greyhound or Amtrak)
1/26Th: Dartmouth Interview
1/27F: Travel NH to MA (visit friends in Boston, maybe ask Harvard for an interview... yeah right) or Travel NH to RI (check out the Dartmouth-Brown program)
1/28Sa or 1/29Su: Fly home NY to HI

WOW... I get tired just trying to write that out. I can't imagine how crazy (but FUN too) this Winter Wonderland trip might turn out to be. Maybe I'm just clueless, haha. So yeah, if anyone can please offer some guidance as to what's the EASIEST/SAFEST way to get to these places, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much SDNers!! Feel free to PM me or reply post for public consumption. Aloha.

Members don't see this ad.

kalenakai said:
Hey everyone,

I have been pushing back a bunch of my East Coast interviews so that I can do them all in one fell swoop. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on transportation / lodging for the following tentative travel schedule, please? Perhaps also where I can find cheap buys for very WARM HEAVY winter coats... remember, it hardly ever dips below 65 in Hawaii :)

1/23M: Drexel Interview (I begged them this morning to squeeze me in, despite the lady saying the earliest available was March! Thank you, thank you)
1/27F: Travel NH to MA (visit friends in Boston, maybe ask Harvard for an interview... yeah right) or Travel NH to RI (check out the Dartmouth-Brown program)

WOW... I get tired just trying to write that out. I can't imagine how crazy (but FUN too) this Winter Wonderland trip might turn out to be. Maybe I'm just clueless, haha. So yeah, if anyone can please offer some guidance as to what's the EASIEST/SAFEST way to get to these places, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much SDNers!! Feel free to PM me or reply post for public consumption. Aloha.

First, I really hate to ruin your fun, but I would head straight to PA from NYC. I would not plan on seeing the city. Why? If there is a blizzard, which is quite likely in Jan, you could get seriously screwed. IPA gets insane snow. 've gotten stuck for 3+ days before there. Maybe you could get a changeable train ticket or something and if you're sure the weather is ok, you could stick around.

Along the same lines, once you're in New England, stick to the train. The train will run even when there's too much snow for buses or planes.

As for coats, you have time to order one. But for now, just borrow someone 's ski jacket. You'll take it off as soon as you get into the building, so who cares? Don't buy one unless you know you are going to school on the East Coast. If you do want to order one, North Face is awesome ($$$$). Lands End ($$) is also good. They are both warm enough to keep a Hawaiian warm in winter. Don't get down - you have to dry clean them.

Good luck on your interviews!

I would take Amtrak as it is way more comfortable...you never know what will happen that day and it could snow a lot. I have taken both fr NYC to PA and the train is more enjoyable. You want to min. stress as much as possible during this time! I would definately sightsee for a day in NYC if I were you. How often would you get a chance to? Oh if you are going from Boston to NYC then you can take the Chinatown bus. It's only 15 bucks (cheaper than greyhound) and they are good!

kalenakai said:
Hey everyone,

Members don't see this ad :)
definatly amtrak... you can do everything online.
the chinatown bus is great, fast (maybe too fast) and cheap, however if you have a few bags and such it might not be the best.

Thank you guys so much for all your advice. Alright, I wont go with the flights in between cities. Totally forgot about the possible complications of snow and air travel. Silly Hawaiian, haha.

One more question, though... which Amtrak ticket/station should I get to get to Hanover, NH from either Philadelphia, PA or New York, NY?

kalenakai said:
Thank you guys so much for all your advice. Alright, I wont go with the flights in between cities. Totally forgot about the possible complications of snow and air travel. Silly Hawaiian, haha.

One more question, though... which Amtrak ticket/station should I get to get to Hanover, NH from either Philadelphia, PA or New York, NY?

I took Amtrack ($42 one way) from NY Penn Station to Philly's 30th St Station and then took a $20 cab ride from the train to Drexel. Greyhound was only $21 (one-way) back. It left Philly from Market St and arrived in NY Port Authority (42nd St). I got a ride from another applicant to the bus stop but I heard you could also take the school's shuttle from campus to the hospital which is suppose to be nearby. Greyhound I think is much better than Chinatown bus. You can buy a ticket on-line and it drops you off in Port Authority as opposed to Chinatown in NYC. However, the train is the most comfortable and probably more reliable (although my train was slightly delayed and there was no weather problems). I believe Amtrak has a student fair although you have to pay to get a student card - but if you're taking the train so much, it might be worth it.

kalenakai said:

Amtrak's "Vermonter" service from New York arrives daily in nearby White River Junction, Vt. Go to amtrak.com. Enter the station code for Penn Station in NYC (I think its NYP) and the code for White River Junction (WRJ) and you'll get the travel options. It is a 7 hour trip and only goes once a day Be aware that Amtrak is notorious for not being on time.

Once you get to White River Junction, you can take a Vermont Transit bus(802-295-3011) to the Dartmouth campus.

LizzyM said:
Amtrak's "Vermonter" service from New York arrives daily in nearby White River Junction, Vt. Go to amtrak.com. Enter the station code for Penn Station in NYC (I think its NYP) and the code for White River Junction (WRJ) and you'll get the travel options. It is a 7 hour trip and only goes once a day Be aware that Amtrak is notorious for not being on time.

Once you get to White River Junction, you can take a Vermont Transit bus(802-295-3011) to the Dartmouth campus.
Thanks, LizzyM, I'm gonna book it now!

kalenakai said:
Hey everyone,

As a fellow sun-to-snow traveller, the best advice I can give is to pack lots of layers of clothing to wear. Yes, a coat is necessary in NH at that time of year (if not in the other areas, too), but keep in mind that you need to be comfortable inside as well as outside. For example, if you have a tank top/camisole, you can put that under a t-shirt, which can go under a long-sleeve shirt, and then under a light sweater, etc. If you dress this way, you'll keep your core warm, but still be able to breathe once you get inside the buildings (which are often heated well-beyond Hawai'i temperatures!) because you can easily shed layers. In addition to making do with what you might have in your closet already, you might want to place a want ad in the Kaleo (UH student newspaper) to see if any students there have a coat/gloves/scarves/hat(s)/wool socks/etc that you can borrow. [I recommend borrowing because it takes time to discover your preferences in all the various options of winter clothing, so you might not want to invest in a coat, for example, until you're living in the cold climate and can look around at a variety of options. Oh, and fyi from a girl who grew up under palm trees--long coats are not just more elegant, they also keep your warmer! ;) ]

I also agree wholeheartedly with what others have said about train vs. bus vs. plane travel. At that time of year, trains are the most reliable (and probably safest) form of transportation.

Good luck! :)

Hey kalenakai,

I can't comment on the travel arrangements, but for a coat check out ebay. I've found several used long coats that can be had for $10-$25 plus shipping.