2023-2024 East Tennessee (Quillen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @bob22! for sharing this year's questions.

2023-2024 East Tennessee (Quillen) Secondary Prompts

(All max 1500 character counts)

1. What makes you interested in Quillen? Discuss your perceptions on how attending Quillen would align with your future goals and your hopes for how it will shape you into the physician you want to become.

2. Social justice, systemic racism, and equity for all have been at the forefront of national conversations. Quillen College of Medicine recognizes that many barriers still exist for persons of color and those from historically underrepresented communities. As a physician you will have opportunities to foster an environment of change for your patients and community. Please share with us your reflections on how your life experiences have impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward others, particularly those with backgrounds or values different from your own.

3. Applicant choice. Please select only one of the following questions to answer. Be sure to indicate your choice by starting with the number associated with the question:

1. There is no doubt that the level of stress brought on by medical schools can impact a student's mental health and emotional well-being. Discuss the ways you plan to manage your own health and well-being during medical school.
  2. Describe an experience you have had during your life that has given you a unique understanding of human suffering and what did you learn from this experience?
  3. Use this space to tell the committee anything else about yourself that you have not had the opportunity to present elsewhere in your application.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Was accepted here, feel free to DM with questions :)

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an email confirming receipt of primary. Seems like they're going to screen

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Welp, got my first R lol. It said "your credentials are not competitive for further consideration here as a nonresident applicant."

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
OOS (in-region) secondary received
Haven’t looked at the questions yet

Supplemental Essays:
(All max 1500 character counts)

What makes you interested in Quillen? Discuss your perceptions on how attending Quillen would align with your future goals and your hopes for how it will shape you into the physician you want to become.

Social justice, systemic racism, and equity for all have been at the forefront of national conversations. Quillen College of Medicine recognizes that many barriers still exist for persons of color and those from historically underrepresented communities. As a physician you will have opportunities to foster an environment of change for your patients and community. Please share with us your reflections on how your life experiences have impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward others, particularly those with backgrounds or values different from your own.

Applicant choice. Please select only one of the following questions to answer. Be sure to indicate your choice by starting with the number associated with the question:
  1. There is no doubt that the level of stress brought on by medical schools can impact a student's mental health and emotional well-being. Discuss the ways you plan to manage your own health and well-being during medical school.
  2. Describe an experience you have had during your life that has given you a unique understanding of human suffering and what did you learn from this experience?
  3. Use this space to tell the committee anything else about yourself that you have not had the opportunity to present elsewhere in your application.

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone being marked as CASPer not received despite CASPer scores being in at other schools?

Secondary Received, IS

I'm moving to Knoxville from Florida in the spring to follow my fiance who starts his PhD this year in Knox. Anyone know if I could somehow express this to them and show that I'm not just randomly applying from Florida?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm moving to Knoxville from Florida in the spring to follow my fiance who starts his PhD this year in Knox. Anyone know if I could somehow express this to them and show that I'm not just randomly applying from Florida?
Maybe try to include that as part of the why Quillen prompt?

Are you instate or out of state if you don't mind me asking. Sorry about your rejection and good luck on the rest of your apps!
IS, but extremely low MCAT. I have what some might consider an "x factor" (10 years of corporate leadership experience, scuba instructor, late blooming lesbian and single mom lol) so I decided to shoot my shot at my IS MD schools. I toured at ETSU and LOVED it, so I am disappointed, but not surprised. I have 2 interviews elsewhere so I'm considering myself blessed! Good luck everyone- ETSU is a great school.

IS II received. Complete 7/20. LM ~79. Genuinely so excited, I would be thrilled to stay close to home

Reactions: 1 users
IS II !!! complete 7/19. I am so excited :)

Just received an email thanking me for my patience and informing me that all applications are reviewed carefully. I'm told that there may be additional delays but they will get back to me ASAP once a decision is made. Is this a hold email?

Just received an email thanking me for my patience and informing me that all applications are reviewed carefully. I'm told that there may be additional delays but they will get back to me ASAP once a decision is made. Is this a hold email?
I just got the same email. I wouldn’t treat it as a hold notification. Instead I would interpret it exactly for what it is: they’re still working through applications and yours is in the queue for evaluation. Best of luck! Hopefully you get an update soon!

CONGRATS! Was the earliest interview slot January?
They sent email stating that my interview would be on this day and specific time. They gave me the option of rescheduling but not the option of choosing my slot.

IS II today. Completed 7/30 and scheduled in January

IS II on Monday! Complete 8/25, scheduled for January

Is it around 1-2 pm? I hope they would call tomorrow with A ….. but don’t want get expectation too high thoYep!
Yep! You can probably call them back as well. I met a student during a tour of the campus who said she called the number back a few hours later, and they offered her a spot.

Last edited:
Yep! You can probably call them back as well. I met a student during a tour of the campus who said she called the number back a few hours later, and they offered her a spot.
Thank you!! Have you received an email as well?