Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Help rank...

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by GATC, Feb 20, 2007.

1. GATC

GATC Member
    7+ Year Member

What do you guys think about these programs?

Cornell
    NYU
    Yale
    USC

2. dynx

dynx Yankee Imperialist
    15+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    1.USC
    2. Yale
    3. Cornell
    4. NYU

That wasn't so hard.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NJA61479

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I guess for this one I would recommend ranking geographically. If you prefer to be on the East coast then I would rank NYU, Cornell, USC, Yale
    If you prefer to be on the West Coast then bump USC to number one.
    If you are ranking based on reputation then Cornell, USC likely tie NYU, Yale
    If you are ranking based on operative case volume USC, NYU, Cornell, Yale

I interviewed at all of the above last year. I did not like Yale at all and I had heard bad things about the floundering Yale program from some of their recently ex-attendings. I found that Cornell was in a nice location in NYC but their residents do very few complex cases since it is so fellow heavy. NYU and USC were very similar in the fact that they are affiliated with major academic centers as well as county hospitals. This allows for a great dichotomy where you get to watch and learn but at the same time you get to do and learn. I ranked NYU and USC ahead of Cornell and I did not rank Yale.
    Hope this helps.

4. SLUser11

SLUser11 CRS
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    How can you get this close to your ranking deadline, and then allow your choice to be influenced by an anonymous internet forum?

5. OP
    OP
    GATC

GATC Member
    7+ Year Member

I like anonymity, especially when I'm getting close....do you wanna come over?

6. surgical06

surgical06 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    toward the end, i too looked for any advice i could get from anyone that might have knowledge. i think we do that because we've exhaused our own opinions and those we know around us, but are still unsettled, so you look elsewhere, untapped resources. excellent idea, IF you are truly seeking advice.

7. OP
    OP
    GATC

GATC Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks that really helped actually.
    It was a nice way of breaking them down and I agreed with your rankings.

8. akx961175

Medical Student
    Some nice advice for the OP of this thread. Bumping 5 years later...any informed opinions for the following programs welcome! Thx

Boston U Med Ctr
    Lahey Clinic
    Tufts Med Ctr
    St Luke's Roosevelt
    Beth Israel
    Lenox Hill
    Temple

9. Svidrillion

Svidrillion Member
    10+ Year Member

Personally, I'd put BI and St Luke's above Lenox Hill. The latter is much smaller, has a higher-priced clientele (generally speaking) and was just bought out by LIJ. Can't speak to the other programs on your list.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...