Help! Should i apply this cycle? Very low stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theDistractedDentist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am distraught, contemplating whether to apply this cycle. Please help!

Tx resident
oGPA/sGPA: low 3.6s
DAT: 20 AA, 19TS, 22 PAT, 29 OC, 19 GC, 17 Bio, 18 RC, 18 QR
I'm working a full-time job so i really don't want to retake unless I MUST!
100 hrs shadowing
200 hrs volunteer at hospital
50 hrs volunteer non health related
1500 hrs working as medical assistant
500 hrs sterile tech at dental practice
900 hrs of research on plant (1 publication, 1 submitted)
Just received my RDA certificate (required in tx) so i will become a DA soon.
Etc.

I want to apply to all tx schools and about 17 other least competitive OOS state schools (20 total). I know that's a lot of schools but i don't think i have a chance based on my stats.

I'm so sad. Should i not apply and do postbac and retake my DAT? Be honest please.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Lol if 3.6 is low then my 3.2 is dog shiet then. People might have dif opinions on your DAT tho, but if I were you I would retake it if possible, Id rather suffer for couple month studying for it then wait another year because of the DAT. Thats just me LOL.

Reactions: 2 users
As per the newest edition of the ADEA guide, the mean GPA and DAT score of a first-year enrollee in a US dental school is:
3.55 oGPA
3.46 sGPA
20.3 DAT

Your scores are all around the means of accepted students nationally. They're fine, and also about average for Texas schools.

A&M Baylor
GPA: 3.64
sGPA: 3.64
DAT: 20.3

UT San Antonio
GPA: 3.60
sGPA: 3.52
DAT: 20.4

UT Houston
GPA: 3.73
sGPA: 3.68

edit: Retaking the DAT is up to you. It'd be nice to be above average, but you will likely gain acceptance somewhere with your scores. The 29 OC seems out of place given your other scores. You certainly could score higher if you did a retake. People will differ in opinion on if it's worth it or not. Do that over a postbacc, if you decide to do something.

Members don't see this ad :)
As per the newest edition of the ADEA guide, the mean GPA and DAT score of a first-year enrollee in a US dental school is:
3.55 oGPA
3.46 sGPA
20.3 DAT

Your scores are all around the means of accepted students nationally. They're fine, and also about average for Texas schools.

A&M Baylor
GPA: 3.64
sGPA: 3.64
DAT: 20.3

UT San Antonio
GPA: 3.60
sGPA: 3.52

UT Houston
GPA: 3.73
sGPA: 3.68

edit: Retaking the DAT is up to you. It'd be nice to be above average, but you will likely gain acceptance somewhere with your scores. The 29 OC seems out of place given your other scores. You certainly could score higher if you did a retake. People will differ in opinion on if it's worth it or not. Do that over a postbacc, if you decide to do something.

Thanks for the info, i mean i'd prefer to stay in state but at the end of the day, i'll go anywhere that is willing to take me.

1500 hr medical assistant? Do you want to become a doctor?

I am distraught, contemplating whether to apply this cycle. Please help!

Tx resident
oGPA/sGPA: low 3.6s
DAT: 20 AA, 19TS, 22 PAT, 29 OC, 19 GC, 17 Bio, 18 RC, 18 QR
I'm working a full-time job so i really don't want to retake unless I MUST!
100 hrs shadowing
200 hrs volunteer at hospital
50 hrs volunteer non health related
1500 hrs working as medical assistant
500 hrs sterile tech at dental practice
900 hrs of research on plant (1 publication, 1 submitted)
Just received my RDA certificate (required in tx) so i will become a DA soon.
Etc.

I want to apply to all tx schools and about 17 other least competitive OOS state schools (20 total). I know that's a lot of schools but i don't think i have a chance based on my stats.

I'm so sad. Should i not apply and do postbac and retake my DAT? Be honest please.

Last edited: