Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

HELP: thinking of switching into FM...need advice

Discussion in 'Family Medicine' started by artvandale, Nov 28, 2008.

1. artvandale

Resident [Any Field]
    howdy...i am in need of some good advice...currently am a EM1...but have realized its just too stressful and am getting much more attracted to out-pt work(esp urgent care)...so am seriously considering switching to FM...but have a lotta ?s:

what are the worst parts of FM and its residency?

anybody have regrets about going into FM?

how stressful is the residency and working as a FM doc...ie is it worth the switch if what im looking for is a low-stress work environment?

is it possible to have a strictly out-pt practice as a FM?

most importantly...how do i go about with the switch? can i switch mid-year? do i really need to finish my intern year? too late to apply for next year so should i try to scramble after the match? or just reply next year?

any and all advice is greatly appreciated

thanks people

2. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Indeed. Have you read the FAQ at the top of this forum yet? It will probably help.

Intern year, which you'll probably need to repeat part of if you switch.

Maybe you should ask Panda Bear. Then again, maybe not. ;)

I'd say that most outpatient family medicine jobs are considerably less stressful than working in the ED. It's not what I'd call "low stress," however.

Of course. You really should read the FAQ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...