TheNerdiestRedneck

2+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Hey there everyone. So I'm having a difficult time deciding if I should keep my vet assistant job (which I've had for about a year and a half, ~1,500 hours) during my senior year. The hospital cut down everyone's hours over the summer, especially mine, so I tried to find another job at a different hospital, but had no success. I did however get a part time job at a horse farm, and have just been working both. As fall semester is quickly approaching, I need to decide which job I'm going to keep during the school year, since I'm taking 6 classes and there's no way I can do both. I've been frustrated with my vet job for a while now, as are most of the other staff. Our hospital and our sister hospital (we're both VCA hospitals) both have a very high turnover rate because of how employees are treated. I had my heart set on quitting the hospital and keeping the barn job, but now I'm freaking out because I want to do what's best for my vet school apps, and what's best for myself, but I don't want to make a wrong choice.

I attached a pro/con list I made, as well. Any advice/input is appreciated.

Attachments

Jan 18, 2006
Status
Veterinarian
What would you enjoy more?

Life is not vet school. Don't get into the habit of forcing yourself to be miserable because of numbers. That is a one way ticket to burnout. Diversify.

Reactions: Abney
OP
TheNerdiestRedneck

TheNerdiestRedneck

2+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I enjoy my job as an assistant, and I love working in the field, but I do not enjoy the hospital I work at.
I have other hours too, but even though I'm taking a few years off to work and take more classes, I know I'll need all the hours I can get. I'll probably graduate with a 3.0, and I'm going to try to raise it a bit before applying, but I know I need to have a lot of experience hours.

katashark

Oregon c/o 2020
2+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2015
The Ocean
Status
Veterinary Student
So you have 1500 hours of small animal? Go for barn stuff. New and interesting and you don't have to stay at the crappy hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
Hours are just a number. Consider the actual experience. Also consider any LoR.... it is not worth it to burn out at a place you don't like just to add some hours. You have plenty of small animal hours, do you have a good LOR from a vet?

OP
TheNerdiestRedneck

TheNerdiestRedneck

2+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Hours are just a number. Consider the actual experience. Also consider any LoR.... it is not worth it to burn out at a place you don't like just to add some hours. You have plenty of small animal hours, do you have a good LOR from a vet?
I'm sure one or both of the vets at the SA hospital would do an LOR for me. They both wrote one when I was applying for a month-long equine hospital internship (which I got). Should I get them to write LORs now, even though I'm not applying for a few years?

katashark

Oregon c/o 2020
2+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2015
The Ocean
Status
Veterinary Student
I'm sure one or both of the vets at the SA hospital would do an LOR for me. They both wrote one when I was applying for a month-long equine hospital internship (which I got). Should I get them to write LORs now, even though I'm not applying for a few years?
Yeah, while you are fresh in their mind. They can always save it for when you apply and submit it, or they can give you a copy, then when you apply you can refresh their memories by sending their first draft to them.

Lupin21

Do Not Disturb
Staff member
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2012
Status
Veterinarian
Hopefully you would also have another vet that was more recent to your application as well. I believe it best to have the people writing the LORs to know you and what you've got at the time of the application. :)

Reactions: TheNerdiestRedneck
OP
TheNerdiestRedneck

TheNerdiestRedneck

2+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Thanks so much you guys, you really calmed my nerves about it. I really do feel like quitting is what's best right now. I put in my resignation, and they said I'm still welcome to come back any time!

Reactions: WhtsThFrequency