HELP! UCLA vs BU Dental School!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDentist1992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
By the grace of God, I have been accepted to both UCLA and BU. BU has offer me a scholarship so the overall cost is fairly close for both schools. I would very much appreicate some personal experiences, insight, and advice. Dental Students, Alumni and ect. Please let me know about BU and UCLA. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

UCLA hands down.

UCLA has #2 research program in the country. 90% students go into residency.

BU? just another expensive private school like NYU, USC, Nova, UNE, Tufts, and Case

Ucla. Weather is better there.

Members don't see this ad :)
ucla absolutely

Reactions: 1 user
By the grace of God, I have been accepted to both UCLA and BU. BU has offer me a scholarship so the overall cost is fairly close for both schools. I would very much appreicate some personal experiences, insight, and advice. Dental Students, Alumni and ect. Please let me know about BU and UCLA. Thank you!
If you wanna specialize, go to UCLA. However, if you wanna be a GO, go to BU. From what I understand, UCLA has a smaller patient pool (sometimes students have to pay out of pocket to meet their reqs), outdated tech, and H/P/F (sounds good but it's still intense). Don't get me wrong, its still a really great school. As for BU, I know absolutely nothing about them.

Last edited:
From what I've heard, UCLA is a bit lacking in clinical education and patient pool. The dental students I've talked to there don't feel as adequately prepared for private practice. However, it is extremely good for research and has a good history of specializing. If you were planning on doing general dentistry and the overall cost is about the same, I'd say to go to BU for a better clinical education

I don't believe BU has better clinical. But what do I know... I'm just there 5 days a week.

Reactions: 4 users
From what I've heard, UCLA is a bit lacking in clinical education and patient pool. The dental students I've talked to there don't feel as adequately prepared for private practice. However, it is extremely good for research and has a good history of specializing. If you were planning on doing general dentistry and the overall cost is about the same, I'd say to go to BU for a better clinical education

Just because schools like UCLA, Columbia, and Harvard are weaker than schools like Temple, Alabama, and VCU in clinical education, this does not mean that these three are weaker than BU.

As much as I've been bashing the Democratic People's Republic of California, I'd choose UCLA over BU a million times over. Clinical is so-so (it's in the nice part of LA so patient pool is tough), but they have pass-fail and you have an extremely good chance of getting matched up for residency.
Just letting you all know that you'll have 15 exams over 5 days during winter quarter of D2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Weather-wise and day-to-day climate, you are making a massive life mistake choosing a school from the Northeast compared to the West. You clearly have been spoiled with the West Coast to know how miserable/inconvenient/discouraging it can be for your studies in a place like Boston. Only an acceptance to Harvard should ever persuade someone to leave from a warmer school region (and even that can be arguable).

Not true. What is considered "passing" is determined by the course chair and that usually ranges from a 75-80%. Anything below a B- is considered failing in grad school.
What is the threshold for receiving Honors at UCLA? Is it top 10% in the course?

Thank you for your responses. I see the majority say go to UCLA for weather, specializing, and research. But go to BU if I intended to be a GP and own a private practice.

Thank you for your responses. I see the majority say go to UCLA for weather, specializing, and research. But go to BU if I intended to be a GP and own a private practice.

Who said you can't be a gp by going to ucla?

Reactions: 1 users
Who said you can't be a gp by going to ucla?
Lol I was about to say that as well. You can become a gp at any school. Owning a private practice is not necessary. Since OP is aware that both schools are relatively the same price, then paying for a private practice wouldn't make a difference in choosing which school to attend.

I personally like to study outdoors and you can only do that in Boston a few months a year. Pass/fail sounds like a dream but you're still going to be ranked. Cost of living is very high here, so it depends on your housing options. I'm happy here but would be happier somewhere warmer and cheaper.

People from the West Coast are generally blinded from how inconvenient your lifestyle is in the Northeast with respect to major life decisions to move. You're talking literally 90% of the year in Boston being cloudy, cold (< 40-45 F), snowing/icey, or some combination of those three. You get 1-1.5 decent months of "foliage" that everyone in Boston clamors and praises about, which is just their way of falsely justifying the other 11 months of straight miserable weather. Try imagining yourself, coming from where you are now in LA, waking up in the dead of winter every morning to get to your exams via the MBTA commute through many feet of snow and bone-chilling joints.

Don't live there unless it's a life deal you can't refuse.

People from the West Coast are generally blinded from how inconvenient your lifestyle is in the Northeast with respect to major life decisions to move. You're talking literally 90% of the year in Boston being cloudy, cold (< 40-45 F), snowing/icey, or some combination of those three. You get 1-1.5 decent months of "foliage" that everyone in Boston clamors and praises about, which is just their way of falsely justifying the other 11 months of straight miserable weather. Try imagining yourself, coming from where you are now in LA, waking up in the dead of winter every morning to get to your exams via the MBTA commute through many feet of snow and bone-chilling joints.

lol, someone doesn't like the winter

Reactions: 3 users
My backup plan in case dental school isn't an option is to attend South Harmon Institute of Technology.

I'm from SoCal, but went to Tufts for my masters. It happened to be during the year that Boston broke its record for the most snowfall in a year. Honestly, it was kind of fun. Obviously it was hectic, and there were definitely a few miserable days when I thought I was going to get frostbite while waiting for the Orange line. There were also days where the train was so full from hours of delays that we literally had to take an outbound train to a more rural stop so we could eventually get on an inbound train to downtown lol. But overall, the winters aren't usually that bad and Boston is a cool city. Buy duck boots and wool socks, and you're good!

I'm from SoCal, but went to Tufts for my masters. It happened to be during the year that Boston broke its record for the most snowfall in a year. Honestly, it was kind of fun. Obviously it was hectic, and there were definitely a few miserable days when I thought I was going to get frostbite while waiting for the Orange line. There were also days where the train was so full from hours of delays that we literally had to take an outbound train to a more rural stop so we could eventually get on an inbound train to downtown lol. But overall, the winters aren't usually that bad and Boston is a cool city. Buy duck boots and wool socks, and you're good!

Canadian goose jackets are all the rage right now

It'll be 30 degrees one day and in the 70s the next. Virginia is wack.

very happy here... $50k condos with 2beds and 2baths... one bedroom apt $600 per month...

and of course. lots of lots of beautiful girls

Last edited:

It's easy for many people to hate on New England weather...which is why I'm astonished that you somehow managed to list only categorical falsehoods about it. It sounds like you're describing the Pacific Northwest or (old) England.

1)Boston is known for its extreme range of temperatures between summer and winter, not for being cool/cold year-round.

2) There are more sunny days than cloudy days (58% sun on average).

3) Peak foliage is usually about two or three weeks in a given location, not 1 - 1.5 months.

4) BU Dental is not particularly accessible by MBTA.

I like how this thread moved to weather as a deciding factor

It's easy for many people to hate on New England weather...which is why I'm astonished that you somehow managed to list only categorical falsehoods about it. It sounds like you're describing the Pacific Northwest or (old) England.

1)Boston is known for its extreme range of temperatures between summer and winter, not for being cool/cold year-round.

2) There are more sunny days than cloudy days (58% sun on average).

3) Peak foliage is usually about two or three weeks in a given location, not 1 - 1.5 months.

4) BU Dental is not particularly accessible by MBTA.
BU dental is EXTREMELY inaccessible by subway.

Don't worry bro. I got you. BU shuttle (if you live near it) will take you half a block from the building. If that does work, you can take silverline (bus). I'll help you out when it comes time

Don't worry bro. I got you. BU shuttle (if you live near it) will take you half a block from the building. If that does work, you can take silverline (bus). I'll help you out when it comes time

You're a lifesaver!