helP!! what do OT's (or SLP's) want in their a job? other than $$.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotpebbles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm creating job flyer for OT & SLP.

what kind of job settings, people to work with, benefits, ...etc. are attracting to you (current & potential OT/SLP's)?

any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Im not an OT (yet).

I asked 4 OTs and 3 OTAs at 2 SNF facilities what they like about it and why they work there than say a hospital system or a outpatient clinic.

1. Money.
2. Flexibility in hours.
3. They are not micromanaged.

Every single person said these three things to me.

Hi,
I've been an OT for almost 4 years. Here's what I look for in a job as an OT. Flexibility is huge for me--I am married with small children so I try to work opposite of my husband to avoid day care. Variety is another thing. I like working with all kinds of cases: orthopedics (total hip/knee etc), neurology (stroke, TBI etc), deconditioning, dementia and so forth. OT is a great career for having different sorts of diagnoses; no two people are the same. Good coworkers is another thing. At most of my jobs, there has been good working camaraderie between PT/OT/ST and even sometimes nursing. Another thing that I look for is the ability to feel like I'm helping someone make progress toward their goals of returning home independently or as close to independent as possible. And of course, you can't forget that good compensation is a plus too. Hope that helps.

I will be applying to OT schools soon. I would like to specialize in neurorehabilitation for traumatic brain injuries, acquired brain injuries, spinal chord injuries, and amputation. I am also interested in manual lymph drainage. I will be seeking jobs that give opportunities for such specialization.

School is getting very expensive, so money is a growing concern. I do not need lots of money, and I did not choose OT because of money, but I would like to live comfortably. So things like loan forgiveness (which is provided by non-profit organizations and the federal government) is something I highly consider.

I would also consider employers that help pay for the OTD degree, as I would be interested in furthering my education beyond the MOT.

Last edited: