This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AkiraShinichi

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,
I've been browsing around SDN for awhile now, and as I approach the end of my 4th year of undergraduate I have become unsure of whether I am cut out for Medical School. Long story short, I realized I wanted to go into medical school to become a psychiatrist or neurologist during my 3rd year of college. Here are my stats.

Bio-Psychology Major, Japanese Minor
GPA: 3.35
-A's for Biochem and Physics
-B'S for Bio and Math
-C's for chem. Failed ochem twice
Researched for 3 years, paid researcher for 1, published once and received a grant from my university
Shadowed around 150 hours with 200 hours of internship experience
President of two clubs, founder of one and have volunteered around 300 hours total

What should I do?
Should I do a post-bacc or Masters in Neuroscience before applying to Med School?
or should I just give up on this medical school dream and get a PhD or PhyD in psychology...
If i were to do a post-bacc I'm thinking of continuing research as a part time or full time junior specialist in a neuroscience lab.

Thank you all!

Edit: *I have recently been told I need to go to a psychologist myself because I might have an diagnosed case of Anxiety Disorder, which, if true, could be effecting my performance.
 
Last edited:
Hi All,
I've been browsing around SDN for awhile now, and as I approach the end of my 4th year of undergraduate I have become unsure of whether I am cut out for Medical School. Long story short, I realized I wanted to go into medical school to become a psychiatrist or neurologist during my 3rd year of college. Here are my stats.

Bio-Psychology Major, Japanese Minor
GPA: 3.35
-A's for Biochem and Physics
-B'S for Bio and Math
-C's for chem. Failed ochem twice
Researched for 3 years, paid researcher for 1, published once and received a grant from my university
Shadowed around 150 hours with 200 hours of internship experience
President of two clubs, founder of one and have volunteered around 300 hours total

What should I do?
Should I do a post-bacc or Masters in Neuroscience before applying to Med School?
or should I just give up on this medical school dream and get a PhD or PhyD in psychology...
If i were to do a post-bacc I'm thinking of continuing research as a part time or full time junior specialist in a neuroscience lab.

Thank you all!

Edit: *I have recently been told I need to go to a psychologist myself because I might have an diagnosed case of Anxiety Disorder, which, if true, could be effecting my performance.
Read this, and also get your mental health issues under control. Med school is a furnace.